• This topic has 84 replies, 67 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)
  • What’s your most loved electrical / electronic possession?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

I’m sure STWers have a broad range of gadgets, appliances and devices.

Which one would you be most gutted about if it went fizz-pop?

My favourite and most looked after is my Marantz CD player.

It’s 23 years old and is just awesome. It’s a limited edition CD63 Mk2 Ken Ishiwata Signature model with considerable further improvements to shielding, clock, power and analogue stages and sounds sublime.

Suffice to say I’d never rest a cup of tea on it.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Fm5000 with extra battery pack.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I love it.

The kids? Not so much.

simondbarnes

I have that same cd player! It’s the amp I’d miss most though – PM66SE-KI

white101

It could soon be my new drill (see combi drill thread)

flange
    Free Member

My impact gun. I don’t have much need for it at the moment, but every time I need to buzz a nut off (!) I get a massive sense of satisfaction from dragging the box out from under the work bench.

derek_starship
    Free Member

@simondbarnes – KI sig amp too. Very swish!

Ebay…

bensales
    Free Member

My impact gun

Similarly, my impact driver.

It makes long sessions screwing things so much easier and more pleasurable.

johndoh
    Free Member

I don’t have a picture of it, but my Sony amp with bluetooth input and a nice compact set of resin-cased speakers in my garage. I happily lock myself away in there and stream music from my phone as I potter around.

derek_starship
    Free Member

@johndoh – Bluetooth input on an amp is a real boon. I can research and review tunes on Spotify and anything I really like gets bought on CD.

stumpy01

Similarly – it would probably be my stereo amp – a NAD 3020i that I bought in 1993.
    In the scheme of things it is by no means ‘audiophile’ but it does sound good. It’s simple, has one job to do & does it well.

It’s survived house parties being turned up a lot louder than it really should have been, 5 years at uni & various house moves since.
    It now gets regularly used in the living room with my TDL RTL2 MkII speakers (which I bought in 1994). I’ve got a Chromecast Audio hooked up to it (and a CD player that doesn’t see too much action anymore).

My one regret with the amp was not buying the matching 902 power amp. There was one on ebay years ago (perhaps 2002, or thereabouts) which i specifically signed up to ebay to bid-on.
    There were no other bids on it so I thought I was safe and didn’t keep watching until the auction ended – I didn’t really know how ebay ‘worked’. I was outbid by £0.01 – the winning bid was something like £20.01. I was gutted and have never seen another one for sale on there since.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

Washing machine, keeps wifey out of mischief.

argee

My ebike!

RichPenny
    Free Member

Naim

The big Naim system 🙂 To be fair if it went pop I’d just fix it. It’s a mix of product I’ve built myself, some prototypes and a couple of unique bits. And it’s cost me 18 years of my working life, so unequivocally the most valuable thing I’ll ever own.

onewheelgood

My Gaggia Classic is probably the one that gets the most use.

derek_starship
    Free Member

Steps back in amazement at that Naim set-up. Jeez.

martinhutch

My first amp, 40 years ago or so now. Speaker sockets were a bit dodgy, this has reminded me to get it out and try to fix it up.

toby1

These days my phone sees the most attention from me, it’s my bank, it’s my tablet, it’s my news source, it’s every messaging platform in a single tool, it’s a remote control for so many things (Amp, streaming music, heating).

I dropped a jar out of a cupboard onto the screen of my last phone a few months back, over the next 24 hours the lcd bled out to completely black out the screen (well dark blue) rendering it totally useless. I had to go out that day and replace it there and then.

I’ve been a oneplus fan for a while, but I’m not sure the brand is even that relevant, it’s the use of it.

somafunk

In a very boring fashion prob my iphone xs/airpods pro as it has 300gb music, photos going back 10 years and 200+ audiobooks and umpteen podcasts to keep me amused

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

It probably used to be my X99 Haswell gaming pc from Dec 2014 IIRC, before I got into cycling for fitness in 2017, I spent an awful lot of my time outside work at pc desk from when my lower back went in summer 2008. Used to love my sim racing and this gaming pc cruised through all my collection without stutters, but then it randomly died ~11 months ago, so I now time-share my better half’s G43 gaming pc!
    I got a Nexus 7 2013 tablet around the same time and even though it didn’t have a SIM card slot, I could take it out including to work and more often that not get a wi-fi signal from other BT broadband users’ modems, so handy for web browsing… Albeit my better half wished she had never bought it for me, as I often browsed in bad!

These days, probably my 4iiii power meter, learning to “train” by power was a revelation when I bought my Direto turbo in Dec 2017 and bought the 4iii April 2018. Direto is a close second, so handy to get some exercise when the weather’s rubbish and/or the daylight hours are short, especially after work shifts.

maccruiskeen

My impact gun

Similarly, my impact driver.

My 100th anniversary limited edition Japanese-import gold Makita impact driver 🙂

(not my one in the link…. looking at the price its selling for I maybe should’ve left my one in the box!)

johndoh
    Free Member

I’ve taken a picture….

Me and my brothers have several of those amps knocking around as do many of our friends – our late dad worked for an AV company in York – they extensively used Sony stuff and invariably had loads of kit they didn’t need (it was cheaper to buy bulk packages so lots of stuff was never needed) so let staff take what they wanted. I also have a lovely set of Brookland Edition floorstanding speakers which are currently unused as I have nowhere for them.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

None of my electronic stuff is really ‘loved’ as it is all replaceable.
    My huge music library probably counts (and no, a lot of it isn’t on Spotify or iTunes.) but I’ll nominate my 50’s Relic Strat that I’ve had for nigh on 30 years.

maccruiskeen

I’ve taken a picture….

The print on the wall in nice but the rest of your living room is a bit too eclectic for my tastes 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Oh, I’ve got one! It’s my Pioneer DVR-545HX DVD/HDD recorder. I’m still sad enough to want to keep some things on DVD, so use the burner a fair bit and there’s a ton of stuff still on the harddisk.
    Gawd knows how old this is.. but the British Lions tour 2013 is still on it and that’s a fairly recent recording.😆
    I would be/will be gutted when it fizz pops. It’s my only DVD player too. First it’ll stop recording to dvd, it’s dead fussy about what disks it uses already.

trumpton
    Free Member

Mine is my e cig vapour box thing.feeds my nicotine addiction.

johndoh
    Free Member

The print on the wall in nice but the rest of your living room is a bit too eclectic for my tastes

Ansel Adams – one day I am going to Yosemite

YoKaiser
    Free Member

My first bit of audiophile kit.

Micromega stage 1, had a bit of a refresh a few years ago but I hardly use it these days. As in I never use it.

My Fuji XT20, a friend put us onto the Fuji system and I haven’t looked back. Been superceded and has a bigger brother but I’ve not been tempted to upgrade.

Edit: I have truly gave up trying to post pics on here🤦‍♂️

Cougar

The big Naim system

I thought the pattern on the curtain(?) behind it was cabling for a minute and was very confused as to what the hell you were thinking.

Cougar

Edit: I have truly gave up trying to post pics on here

You’re linking to the Google search results rather than the actual images. Here:

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/e8/31/55/e83155cd47b97156366a4f2fbee9e67f.jpg

https://www.cameralabs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/FujiXT20_hero2_4000.jpg

BaronVonP7
    Free Member

An extremely battered and scratched Garmin Dakota 20 GPS. Walking, running, biking, even skiing – pointing out where we are, recording (mis)adventures.

nickc

I thought the pattern on the curtain(?) behind it was cabling for a minute

You’re not the only one…

I don’t think I own any electrical item that I’d give a moments thought to just instantly replacing should it go pop.

tthew

I don’t think I own any electrical item that I’d give a moments thought to

That’s interesting, me either. My analogue bikes, hand tools, mechanical watches though, they are more important to me. Sold my amp and big speakers a few years ago, just never got used once CD’s got superceded by MP3’s.

scuttler

The big Naim system

What’s the round thing?

AdamT

Apologies if I divert this thread, but this is electrical, so does it count?

derek_starship
    Free Member

What’s the round thing?

A long playing record on a Pro-Jet Essential perhaps?

RichPenny
    Free Member

Rega RP6 is the round thing. Adam, that definitely counts 🙂

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aldi battery chainsaw.

Stealth trail clearance on a grand scale has never been quieter.

johnx2
    Free Member

Isn’t the point of this stuff is it gets obsolete and replaced? I mean I quite like the pixel I’m typing this on or our, by my standards, big oled telly etc etc. But they’re never going to be heirlooms are they?

Edukator
    Free Member

But they’re never going to be heirlooms are they?

Marshall 1960a cab, 2300e for an old one, mine is worth less but still more than a new one as it has its original made in England greenbacks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 85 total)

The topic ‘What’s your most loved electrical / electronic possession?’ is closed to new replies.