Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What’s your favourite Peak District climb?
  • jekkyl

As per title, what’s your favourite track for gaining height in the Peak District?

Just a bit of fun while at work but might also serve to persuade me to go and visit the ascents mentioned.

For me it’s the lovely rooty climb through Gradbach woods in the south of the national park.

It starts with a river crossing, which most people either don’t attempt and walk across the stones or do attempt and get stuck and then get at least one wet foot. There’s a particular line you can take if you’ve done it a few times which’ll see you through and you can dial back the pedals to stop your foot getting a soaking.

If you pass the water test you’re already buzzing and without dabbing carry straight on for the climb, leaving your mates behind with wet feet. I really enjoy Gradbach woods with Lud’s church somewhere above you in the trees, the woods feel old and atmospheric, like Fangorn in lord of the rings. . The climb gradient is not too hard to get you majorly out of breath but it’s still hard enough to be fairly testing and you have to you pick your line carefully so as not to dab. There’s roots and there’s rocks all the way up and you can look out across the valley to your right amongst all the wild undergrowth and trees. And then once you get to the top you’re rewarded with that massive rock formation just pitching out of the ground and this is always impressive.

Anyway, what’s yours and why?

kula72
    Free Member

yeah that is a nice one Gradbach, I normally clear the river but came off last time. It seemed deeper than usual.

I quite like the beet lane/south head climb. Just because it’s one of the longest this side of the peaks and finishes with those rocky steps. It’s all downhill to home then.

mildbore

Favourite climb? Hahaha.
    Actually I had my first Peak ride in months yesterday and was surprised I enjoyed the climbs more than the descents.
    The one climb I aim to ‘clean ‘ is the one from behind the Ladybower Inn to Whinstone Lee Tor, a challenge of tech and fitness. Dunno if I’ll ever be fit enough to clean it again, due to advancing age

finbar
    Free Member

The one climb I aim to ‘clean ‘ is the one from behind the Ladybower Inn to Whinstone Lee Tor, a challenge of tech and fitness. Dunno if I’ll ever be fit enough to clean it again, due to advancing age

Via Cutthroat bridge? The first few 100ms of that from the A57 are an absolute bugger – well done on clearing it in the first place! I never have.

BadlyWiredDog

The one climb I aim to ‘clean ‘ is the one from behind the Ladybower Inn to Whinstone Lee Tor, a challenge of tech and fitness

I love that climb, particularly the upper section, it’s just lovely with enough nadgery stuff low down to keep your brain engaged though it’s been slightly spoiled by people riding off the original line.

I also have a certain fondness for the 20 Trees climb out of Hayfield and oddly, the reverse climb over Middle Moor.

benman
    Free Member

I was always chuffed to clean the New Allotments climb on Chinley Churn.

After riding my road bike almost exclusively for the past 2 years, I really need to get back out and have a crack at some of the tougher MTB climbs in the peak. Always wanted to clear Coldwell Clough.

munrobiker
    Free Member

For me it’s Ladybower reservoir up the slabs to Whinstone Lee Tor but I like to include the last bit up to Derwent Edge – if you can clean that your legs are really doing well given how brutal the rest of it is.

I also like the byway from Brough towards the mast, but ending at the descent to Bradwell. Steep enough that you have to switch off your brain and grit your teeth.

kula72
    Free Member

@benman

that new allotments climb is a killer and really smashed up near the top (I went down it last week). I’m going to have a go next ride as I don’t remember ever clearing it. I live at the bottom of Moorlands which is a nice grind up to the same spot.

BigJohn

I remember one time a while back when the wind was so strong we had to pedal all the way down Potato Alley but we pretty much freewheeled up the Rowlee Farm climb.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

cutgate south, love it when you get over the stream and across the stone slabs, then you nearly home and dry

Blackflag
    Free Member

In the national park then Greenlands to Hollins Cross is OK

My favourite is from Roman Lakes (Marple). Starts at Strines Station up to The Fox pub, turn right on the road then left up alongside New Mills golf club.

Superficial
    Free Member

The Beast! (One day I’ll clean it). Basically anything that’s tech enough for me to temporarily forget how much my legs are hurting.

There used to be a hill climb event at Bamford Clough – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mvOnai7a6mk . This was scored on who could get the furthest and only a very select few could get to the top – usually on modified bikes E.g. low gearing and lowered bars. Now THAT is a hard climb. But for the last several years the b’way has been closed. I saw they were doing some works up there recently so hopefully the path will reopen soon, and hopefully not having been completely sanitised (although the path was closed ‘for safety of its users’ so I’m not holding out much hope).

thegeneralist
    Free Member

For me it’s Ladybower reservoir up the slabs to Whinstone Lee Tor

Love those slabs at the start. Starts off a piece of piss then gradually gets steeper. Then a bit bumpy and then the last few metres to the gate desperately trying to hit it with your front wheel before you keel over.

Used to love Hollins Cross to Mam Tor, but I don’t think it’s really possible any more since they put steps up the zigzag bit.

cutgate south, love it when you get over the stream and across the stone slabs, then you nearly home and dry

Do you mean Cut Gate heading south, or Cut Gate from the south? If the former then yes indeed, amazing climb, but never got below two dabs. If you mean the latter then…. Bloody hell, respect😜

monksie
    Free Member

My favourite is from Roman Lakes (Marple). Starts at Strines Station up to The Fox pub, turn right on the road then left up alongside New Mills golf club.

I much prefer Linnet Clough, right at the junction, left on the singletrack through the trees (sadly, a get off and lift at the wall at the edge of the Golf Course) and then up past Mellor Cross.

In the Peak Park though, I’d say mine was the Roman Road from Hope, including Hope Brink, all the way past Hope Cross.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@thegeneralist yeah cutgate headed south, I hate that b******* climb north, legs are already gone afterward ladybower loop

Garry_Lager

Pindale is a hard one, never made that. Nothing crazy tech or steep on it iirc, but it’s long and gets quite loose in the final stretch.

Hagg farm is a fairly tough one that I can do on a good day. Nice rocky climb through the woods with a big effort needed to get you round the top bend.

Was waiting for my boy last year descending Lockerbrook and saw Guy Martin coming up it. Put a big dent into it but didn’t clear a hard section before the track narrows. He got right back on tho. Reckon that would take some climbing legs to clean the whole thing. Had the impression that bit was the crux as the upper part wouldn’t be too bad.

nikhil511
    Free Member

Himalaya is definitely the worth. was truly amazing and as smooth and fun!

amodicumofgnar

Not really got one but:

Chee Dale – the zig-zags to Mosley Farm

Cut-thorn from Three Shire Head

stevedoc
    Free Member

Cutgate from Langsett barn, Last did it in April and cleaned it, no dabs all the way up and down to the stream at the top of Howden dam, seriously chuffed as FOOOK. a couple of track stand moments but one to remember , and no it wasnt an E.moped neither

schmiken

Mississippi Buttress Direct.

pacman404
    Free Member

Not done much Peak limestone but Scoop Wall, Stoney or something at High Tor?

On grit no idea, far too many to choose from.

finbar
    Free Member

Pindale is a hard one, never made that. Nothing crazy tech or steep on it iirc, but it’s long and gets quite loose in the final stretch.

Don’t suppose you (or anyone) can post a link/map to Pindale please? Someone else was saying how good it is but I can’t figure out where it starts.

bobbyspangles

Edale, Greenlands to Hollins cross, after the rain. Makes me laugh like a lunatic

Garry_Lager

Don’t suppose you (or anyone) can post a link/map to Pindale please? Someone else was saying how good it is but I can’t figure out where it starts.

Pindale is the quarry S of Castleton, the trail goes from past pindale farm up to Dirtlow rake. It’s a fun blast descent although plain sailing. It’s a hard climb to clean, but any route up that side of the valley is an effort. If you’re up top that way then Cavedale is the more celebrated descent but it’s hard, so good to have an easier option sometimes.

fossy

Locally, The Fox Climb, or ‘Not the Fox’ where you go left at Strines Station -ideal for a shorter run out. The Werneth Low climb out of Compstall (School Lane) is a good 20 minute slog – I build this into some of my lunch break circuits.

My nemesis is the Peak Canal climb at Hyde Bank – I’ve cleared it twice (today and a few weeks ago) but it’s mainly where to point the bike and not bounce off the fence as it’s narrow. Also don’t spin the gears too much. I usually hit the fence on the way up. Stay off the cobbles until you see the rock/root sticking out, go for cobbles, then get back on the rough stuff to the top. The cobbles are slippy.

cheese@4p

Quietus or Adjuducator Wall

Bunnyhop

Linnets clough (scout camp) Marple, also the Strines station climb, then Neal’s way up to Castle Edge Road (New Mills golf club house) mentioned by Monksie and Blackflag are favourites. I’ve done them hundreds of times and always get giddy if cleaned.

Richie_B

The one from Rowsley up to the top of Coombs Lane then up again through manners woods to Carlton Pastures. Just the right mixture of lung busting with vaguely technical + plus it changes with weather conditions enough to keep it interesting.

Or the one out of the other side of Lathkill Dale to Over Haddon. Another mixture of lung buster and slippery limestone

finbar
    Free Member

Pindale is the quarry S of Castleton, the trail goes from past pindale farm up to Dirtlow rake. It’s a fun blast descent although plain sailing. It’s a hard climb to clean, but any route up that side of the valley is an effort. If you’re up top that way then Cavedale is the more celebrated descent but it’s hard, so good to have an easier option sometimes.

Thank you. Bit of a mission to ride there from Sheffield but I’ll give it a go on my gravel bike at some point.

el_boufador

I’ve nearly cleaned cut gate heading north when it was really dry 2 years ago. Just about got up out of bull clough no dabs, across the grass and up the flags. Last bit after the flags got me.
    Hagg farm is a good un, as is cut gate heading south. Also like potato alley.

dazh

The Sloth at the Roaches. Wrong sport but better than anything on a bike. I miss my climbing days.

scuttler

Phoenix Climb at Shining Clough.
    Or High Neb Buttress

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What’s your favourite Peak District climb?’ is closed to new replies.