Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)
  • What's your favourite cake?
  • chewkw
    Free Member

Banana cake here in the UK.

In a foreign land far far away I prefer the Durian cake … some say it smells like cat shite but I love it … 😆

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

In no order:

1. Proper eggy yellow Victoria sponge liberally adulterated with fresh cream.

2. Mrs MRs homestyle New York cheesecake made with 6 tubs of Philly, soured cream, vanilla pods, piled high and deep, baked until golden brown crust. Topped with fresh cream, blueberries and strawberries. Paradise on a plate. Only had two in ten years (special occasions) and costs a small fortune to make but ye gods now I want it.

3. Big round chocolate cake with fresh cream filling and chocolate topping. Like wot you’d see in the Beano or a Famous Five picnic. How can it be beaten?

redstripe
    Free Member

Welsh cakes or those cake mixes from M&S they are doing at the moment, carrot and chocolate ones, dead easy and taste fantastic

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Debs’ Lemon Drizzle..

Sandwich

My homemade Sachertorte clone. Somewhere on here there’s a picture of what looks like a huge hunk of hash, that’s the cake.

My New York baked cheesecake is my favourite. Sadly it’s huge and hubby doesn’t like it, so its an annual treat.

Files away for next pootle cake making.

bearnecessities

The christmas cake a lovely lady friend made me & Pop to enjoy together this year, including a self-decapitating snowman/duck, which reduced two grown men to tears.

tommytowtruck

Battenberg!

ononeorange

Sadly I don’t think Eton mess qualifies as cake. So the King of Cakes, His Majesty King Moist Carrot wins. Sorry Lady Gresley – for once you’re wrong there.

Mrs O says mango cream pie.

instanthit
    Free Member

All cake is excellent but the uncooked mixture of a home made Victoria sponge is sublime.

garage-dweller

Favourite cake…what just ONE?! What is wrong with you people that you think it’s possible to narrow it done to just one?

Some of my favourites though
    Grandma’s fruit Christmas cake with icing and marzipan that she made when I was little.
    River Cottage chocolate cake from the Everyday cook book
    Carrot cake with a nice butter cream frosting
    Herman, the German apple friendship cake made from a home brew yeast starter.

oldnpastit

Simnel cake if you’re tired, cold and hungry. A bit of that in your jersey pocket will keep you going until you get to a real cake shop, where lemon drizzle cake and a big mug of tea will go down a treat.

I once had lemon polenta cake, but it defeated me.

zippykona

A home made Victoria Sponge.

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I am very partial to an Eccles cake or 4

cfinnimore
    Free Member

Ginger.

mark90
    Free Member

This question is like having to chose which of your children is your favorite, when of course you love them all. But if I have to choose….

Battenberg.
    Or my mum’s home made Christmas cake, topped with marzipan (see the theme here?) and icing.

sparkyrhino

Mid ride,Snickers cake at Sherwood Pines cafe

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

My Mum’s coffee cake. It wasn’t fancy, but damn it was perfection.

We lost her just over a year ago, and it must be getting on for a year before that she last made one (I suspect it may have been my birthday the year before last) – but I can still recall everything about it… taste, texture….

My wee sister has the recipie I think, but whether she has made an attempt to make it as yet – and whether anyone will ever be able to make it the same – I don’t know.

I miss it almost as much as I miss my Mum 🙁

Otherwise I have a soft spot for millionaire shortbread (I am on a quest to find the best in the country – I found it, but then the baker closed down!) and Carrot Cake is right up there too (although I have yet to find any as good as the stuff the sandwich shop under my office in Edinburgh sold many years ago!)

timidwheeler

Chocolate sponge
    Thick chocolate butter filling.
    Topped with mint flavour icing and chocolate buttons.
    Vanilla ice cream.
    Double cream.

seadog101

I could not choose one cake above another. But something based on almonds would do me just fine.

Or an Eccles cake.. Or Éclair… Or stickly lemon drizzle… OH HOW CAN I DECIDE!!!!!

mt
    Free Member
    integerspin
    Free Member

My Ma’s Christmas cake, or Simnel cake.
    Christmas cake gets cooked early in the year and gets feed
    alcohol until christmas, only thing is I don’t like iceing that much, but it has a thick layer of marzipan under it, so I force myself..
    Simnel cake, loads of marizpan on fruit cake, who could not love it.
    Dutch apple cake, mmmm.

Now I am hungry and there is no cake in the house!

radtothepowerofsik
    Free Member

A nice moist carrot with buttercream icing for me too

Bunnyhop, I like baked cheesecake

torsoinalake
    Free Member

I’m partial to most cakes really. My Nanna used to make an Angel Food cake with Divinity icing – I would love to try and recreate it, but not sure I could live up to the memory.

PocketShepherd
    Free Member

Bravo, Torsoinalake. Cake is a made up drug. 😀

As for real cake, whatever’s going! Though if pavlova counts that’s up there with the best.

lemonysam
    Free Member

(I am on a quest to find the best in the country – I found it, but then the baker closed down!)

Bingley climbing wall, weirdly.

lemonysam
    Free Member

On the grounds that the best cake is the cake you currently have, I’ve changed my mind again. Last night’s Lemon and Pistachio Cake:

TimP
    Free Member

I vote for anything made by Mrs CrispyBacon. Ate so much at MM and 24/12 i felt sick and didnt want to ride!

theotherjonv

A good carrot cake. Or a Lemon Polenta cake, as long as it’s not gritty.

That pic on p1 of the Pavlova. The bloke already has his trousers fastened by the belt only; I warrant that a few mins later the belt had gone out another notch.

epicyclo

Battenburg. Stand it on end in a plate. Fill with dark rum, port, or sherry.

Eat as dessert.

Don’t drive afterwards. 🙂

scunny
    Free Member

Space

BoardinBob

Technically not a cake but an empire biscuit gets my vote every time.

redstripe
    Free Member

Yesterday’s Cakes by the Cropdusters:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=riYCCDeU0rY[/video]

z1ppy

lemonysam – Member

On the grounds that the best cake is the cake you currently have, I’ve changed my mind again. Last night’s Lemon and Pistachio Cake:

+1 cake is good

LOL, I’ve made that one too from Roger’s book, it was calling to me…was very good and I’m going to transfer the candied lemons to std lemon drizzle cake, using the left over syrup as the glaze. Made any of the others? The coffee cake filling recipe has me stumped, far too wet.

lemonysam
    Free Member

LOL, I’ve made that one too from Roger’s book, it was calling to me…was very good and I’m going to transfer the candied lemons to stw lemon drizzle cake, using the left over syrup as the glaze. Made any of the others? The coffee cake filling recipe has me stumped, far too wet.

We’ve done the chocolate and rye, the jewish apple and the jewish honey, all damned good (although I underbaked the rye, it was still good). The honey cake I think has a touch too much ginger but otherwise is a firm favourite and the apple cake was just all-round awesome.

edit: and I completely agree about nicking the candied lemons and syrup for lemon drizzle in future – I felt ridiculous getting rid of it.

z1ppy

Well done, I’ve been distracted & am now ill so didn’t want to spread my ilness via cake… no matter how good it is. Yep throwing that syrup away was soul destroying

Cheeky bump for my cake book PSA, the book now £6.99 (& P&P or not if prime)… it got some goddam nice cakes in .. see LSam’s post above for starters

lemonysam
    Free Member

Yep throwing that syrup away was soul destroying

It occurred to me afterwards that it would keep fine in the fridge, maybe with a couple of curls of peel in it for future cake making or for cocktails. Oh well, next time!

trevron73
    Free Member

Battenberg

john_drummer
    Free Member

not mine, but:

leffeboy

My carrot cake

that. Our version has half a bottle of oil in it and come in at 5 million calories/slice. Awesome

alanf
    Free Member

Jamaican ginger

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘What's your favourite cake?’ is closed to new replies.