Home Forums Bike Forum What’s your experience of Tubolito or similar?

• This topic has 18 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Kramer.
Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • What’s your experience of Tubolito or similar?
  • Kramer
    Free Member

I like the idea of carrying one of these as a spare tube, however the last time I used one, it was one of the “race” versions with a removable valve, and I’m not sure I screwed the valve in correctly, because it wouldn’t hold air.

Anyone else got any experience (good or bad) with these or similar ultralightweigh tubes?

footflaps

Tried them for road, very fragile, both punctured in a few days, so patched them and gave them away.

NB You need special patches and glue to fix them.

Rubber_Buccaneer

I don’t know if they are any good but I carry one as an emergency tube on my light(ish) bike with no intention of ever using it. In my heart I think it’s a bad choice which is why I was so surprised when they appeared in the kit Pinkbike editors carry. Maybe not so bad?

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/the-good-the-bad-and-the-ugly-what-we-actually-carry-on-rides.html

Kramer
    Free Member

That Pinkbike article is what prompted me to rethink.

w00dster

Off-Road, haven’t used them, wouldn’t use them. On road, have used them, wouldn’t use them again.

Tubolito’s are the electric car of the inner tube world…..range anxiety when needed for a long ride home.

Bought two, first one I didnt need for ages, was out of the box and stuffed into my jersey pocket every ride (maybe 6 months) – this one didnt hold air for more than a few moments when it went on the wheel. Went straight in the bin when I evetually got home. Second one was ok (ish), wouldn’t hold air for the duration of a long ride – but I’ve had the odd latex innertube do the same.

I carry a Michelin Air Comp Latex, I think it was about 120 grams, so a fair bit heavier – but they’re worth it. I also have a selection of Continental Supersonic, about 50 grams I think, but regarded as being fairly delicate.

Not tried these personally, but if I was stil racing and wanted to keep the weight down I’d try these….

https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-sv20-x-light-presta-tube-700c-78554.html

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

They are ace. So small and light. I have the Ridenow versions not the Tubolito. Carry 2 with me on the roadie. Have used one and it was fine. It’s still in the wheel it went on two months later.  Only cost £4 each and they work why carry anything bulkier.

I am going to buy a 29er for the hardtail and some for the gravel bike. They are the future of inner tubes.

zerocool

Tried one once, I didn’t make it back from halfway around the blue at FOD, I took it out and never tried again.

dc1988

I have one as a spare but haven’t needed to use it. A friend has used his and it worked as intended. I wouldn’t carry a tube if I didn’t have the Tubolito

moimoifan
    Free Member

Mate’s tubolito has saved my ride twice. I just gave it back to him, cleaned up and ‘repacked’ at the start of the next group ride. Very handy if you just need something to get you to the end of a ride. Even better when you don’t have to carry it yourself!

oldnpastit

I bought two. The front one has been on for quite a few months – no problems. The rear punctured pretty quickly (on a tyre that also punctured a lot with butyl). So far I have completely failed to patch it which is what puts me off.

I’ve bought a ridenow one – at some point I’m going to give that a go.

In theory it should be a good idea – in particular, they can be recycled, unlike butyl.

dc1988

Apparently the glueless stick on patches should work

bikesandboots

Considered buying one as a MTB spare, but read about too many failures (examples, there are many more threads on here). Felt that if I’d carry one it might only be to kid myself that I was going out prepared.

I’m on Rimpacts now anyway, can finish a ride on them, and couldn’t get the tyre off trailiside with them anyway to fit a tube.

zerocool

I just carry a normal tube now. They’re pretty reliable, easy to patch and they just work, also I’m more likely to let someone else use it because they cost about £3

I’m not bothered by a few grams, if I was then I’d eat a smaller breakfast

aberdeenlune
    Free Member

Nothing to do with weight really. It’s more how small they are. You can fit multiple TPU tubes in the space used by 1 butyl one.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah I have thought about it to save space in my saddle pack, nothing more.

Something else small might be handy – latex perhaps?

honourablegeorge

broke a spoke in Finale, it pierced the tape and I flatted, tubolito worked fine for me rest of the trip. same tube had been used by a mate and given back to me about a year before.

TBH, I so rarely have punctures that can’t be handled with a plug that it’s hard to say who good/bad a tubolito is, but they haven’t let me down. I’d only ever use them as a temporary fix for a tubeless tyre.

footflaps

Something else small might be handy – latex perhaps?

They’re more fragile than standard butyl tubes, they can dry out and become brittle.

I just carry cheap butyl tubes as they seem to be the most robust and easiest to patch.

cookeaa

Nothing to do with weight really. It’s more how small they are. You can fit multiple TPU tubes in the space used by 1 butyl one.

This is the thing that appeals to me, a minimum space claim spare tube. But if they’re really as fragile as some seem to think that just makes the whole exercise pointless. So are they really that bad of were the really delicate ones just earlier examples? Have they improved?

Kramer
    Free Member

I’ve ordered some new ones, so I guess I’ll find out…

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.