Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Tubolito – a word of caution
  • shortcut

I like to take with me the bear minimum of gear when I go riding but always have a pump, tube, multitool, CO2, Tubeless repair thingy, tyre boot, magic link etc. You know, enough to be self sufficient and help people out.

I don’t have issues on the trail very often preferring to either do my own maintenance in a timely manner, or get someone else to do it for me.

I’ve been carrying two tubolito’s with me for a good 12 months now. In a nylon bag which itself is in a seatpact and away from generally sharp objects. I used one of the tubolitos a few months ago, it worked. All good.

On Tuesday evening however – after a stick to the spokes and valve I went to put one in and it was pissing air. A buddy lent me a proper tube and we were on our way. The tubolito I went to use now has 5 patches on it and is still not holding pressure. The other one which I used maybe 6 months ago for 1/2 a ride before putting back away – well that is also leaking quicker than I can put air in.

It may be time to go back to butyl or certainly check those tubolito’s every couple of months for integrity.

I’m not altogether impressed, but pleased to know about it on a social spin in dry and not cold conditions.

TexWade
    Free Member

Gave up with them – mine split on the outside edge – when rolled up there is a sharp bend in tube and I think eventually it fatigues and wears through. Maybe worth putting in tyres when new but as a spare it is a no go for me.

footflaps

I tried them (on road), both punctured in the first week, more than doubling my annual puncture tally. Fixed them both and gave them away!

johnnystorm

My only experience of them is someone stuffing their tyres with the contents of the Elan Valley toilets leaflet stand such were the Swiss cheese nature of their tubolitos.

ac282

I carried one as a spare for a while but when I checked after a year or so it was leaning badly. I’m not going to bother with them again.

phil5556

I don’t know what a tubilito is but the normal tube that had been strapped to my mountain bike for about 18 months failed when I tried to use it, luckily not in anger as I was just putting some tyres temporarily on the bike.

It was perished along the folded sides and around the valve.

footflaps

The fact they need special patches etc is a PITA as I carry a spare tube and patches just in case it’s an epic ride…

continuity
    Free Member

Surely you’d just take the tubolito patches instead?

Op were you trying to patch with butyl patches?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

the normal tube that had been strapped to my mountain bike for about 18 months failed when I tried to use it,

It was perished along the folded sides and around the valve.

+1

Since everythings gone tubeless it’s a bit of a PITA still having to buy spare tubes as they die of old age rather than too many patches!

Must be at least partially UV and chemical related though as the tyres on my commuter haven’t punctured in a long time. Yet the tube in saddle bag has split.

tonyg2003

Ive been using tubolito on my road bike for a more than a year with no punctures. They have been great from that point of view but they started leaking from the (deep section wheels) value extender. I glued them up and they were fine. I’ve taken my spare Tubolito tubes out and pumped them up. No problems. But due to the valve extender issue I’ve moved to Pirelli TPU tubes

nedrapier

Heard similar. To be honest, I half expected the first post to be a simple, unadorned “They’re shit.”

Northwind

I had a previous attempt at this sort of thing, can’t remember the name- they had exactly the same issues as tubolito does

shortcut

continuity
    Surely you’d just take the tubolito patches instead?

Op were you trying to patch with butyl patches?

I usually run tubeless so the tubolito was just there as a spare.

Tubolito patches seem to work just fine for fixing the holes in a previously unused tube. It’s just having enough of the patches. Five down on one unused tube and still not air tight. They really are shocking as spares.

scotroutes

Tenacious tape works as a Tubolito patch.

I do wonder about my two Tubolito tubes. They’re carried as spares on my B+ bikepacker as a weight and space saver. The exposed edges of the rolled up tubes do look partial to wear. I guess I should inflate them at some point but then I’m not convinced I’ll get them as small afterwards…

onewheelgood

I’d never heard of Tubolito until I read this thread. But .. how much???!!!

zilog6128

I’d never heard of Tubolito until I read this thread.

same. Based on this thread, won’t be trying them either! I guess they maybe make sense for a road/bike-packing bike spare as they’re smaller & lighter than normal tubes, all the reviews I’ve just googled say they can be more difficult to fit though which is not really what you want if trying to swap a tube in the pissing rain!
    I’ve just got one of those Backcountry strap things to attach a (normal) tube to my MTB frame (never bothered with a spare tube in the past unless the ride was long enough to warrant taking a backpack). Will bear in mind though to check/replace it every year or so now given some of the comments here about UV exposure, etc.

DrP

i’ve a 29er tubolito in teh SWAT box on my stumpy…
    TBH, i don’t know why i carry it as i’ve whopping tyre insserts that I can kinda run-flat on, and it takes about 4 gorillas to get the tyre off in IDEAL workshop conditions… not convinced it’s a goer, TBH!

However, will check that the lightweight unusable tube DOES still hold air!

DrP

continuity
    Free Member

Fwiw I gave up carrying a spare strap loose on my frame as it gets destroyed and ground up by mud – even if butyl.

Strap a drybag to your frame with everything in instead.

zerocool

I never really understood why people have them. Everyone I know who’s spent the exorbitant price complains they are broken by the time they need them (even when kept in a bag to protect from wear/tear and UV) or (if they actually get around to using them) puncture before they get to the end of their ride anyway.

Can’t get my head around why you wouldn’t just have a lightweight regular tube which pretty much go on forever (if not strapped to your bike and open to the elements) and a set of patches cost about £1.

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

I’ve got butyl tubes in the shed that are years old and they are fine even still in original packaging, so the elements and UV must definitely affect them, I’ve always been sceptical about the skinny lightweight ones, unless they somehow make stretchy graphene based ones I wouldn’t touch them with a barge pole.

scotroutes

I never really understood why people have them.

avdave2

I have them for my B+ bike. The butyl tubes are enormous as well as heavy. Mine are in an old sock and in a plastic bag. I suppose I should test them but I know they’ll not roll up so small again.

I haven’t bothered with them when non plus tyres  as standard tubes are just fine for size and weight

scotroutes

Yep. Those tubes in my photo are for 27.5*3.0″. Carrying two of those makes a substantial difference in weight and space.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Not much point saving the weight of a typical ~3Hr food stash per tube and using less volume in your jersey pockets, if they are duff when you come to use them in time of need! 😆

I’ll stick to latex tubes on the nice bike, even those newish Pirelli fancy tubes are twice the price of a Vittoria latex tube.

DrP

I never really understood why people have them.

As per scotroutes…
    Mine’s a third of the weight and quarter of the volume of a normal tube.. stashes in the SWAT box much more easily.
    Though, I will say I wasn’t aware they may rot and fail when packed away! That’s NOT a seling point!!!

DrP

scotroutes

if they are duff when you come to use them in time of need

But you’re then into double-, or even treble-, jeopardy.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Never tried them but sounds very much like where I got to with Air B latex tubes a few decades ago.

tonyg2003

They are much better than latex tubes – for road use. They don’t leak when you leave them, you can repair them and for me (everyone might have a difference experience) they have been puncture resistant. They also come out as good / better than tubeless in rolling resistant tests Heving said that – I use tubeless and butyl spares on the MTB.

honourablegeorge

I’ve reused mine, lent to friends the lot, no haddle

noeffsgiven
    Free Member

The scale on the left tells you what size it is too 😃, I think my gran has the same tablecloth.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.