Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • whats wrong with my new reverb stealth… ?
  • iainc

second ride tonight, started hearing a clicking, isolated it to the saddle area. Closer inspection at home showed reverb has a mm or so of vertical play and making a rattly click due to the play. Brand new on a Bird Zero TR last week. Have mailed Bird, and am sure they will sort. Cant imagine a bleed would be the answer ? my old external one never really misbehaved..

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

I think some of them have too much play in the base plate cirlip groove(possibly where baseplate has threaded on a tad to deep,or is out of tolerance),and where this isn’t tight it clanks about as you weight/unweight the saddle.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Another Clow clicky seatpost? 😆

iainc

Yeah, could be that I guess, though it wasn’t doing it the first ride out, and it didn’t have vertical play on loading it – was pretty solid..

iainc

Nobeer, indeed 😀

My Fox got base section warrantied and is silent again, for now 🙂

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

Try gently pulling/ pushing on it by hand whilst extended to see if you can hear it.

iainc

Yes, hand movement replicates what it does when riding, couple mm max vertical sag and it clicks/rattles when shaken about as it would when riding.

mjsmke

Both mine do this. The newer one started after a few rides but the click sounds seems to go and the post functions normally. I think they all have a mm or 2 of play.

iainc

hmmm, I am surprised that it was fine first ride and this only happened the next time out, so something has ‘changed’. Will see what the good folk at Bird have to say. Never used the connectamajig before, but guess I will be popping it off tonight ! At least makes warranty removal easier (does it need bled when reconnected with a repaired/replaced one ?)

DezB
    Free Member

does it need bled when reconnected with a repaired/replaced one ?

Mine didn’t.

iainc

well the good chaps at Bird are arranging to pick up the post and sort – can’t fault that for good service. Will report back on what the issue was once fixed. Cheers

joemmo
    Free Member

the same issue has developed on my 150 stealth, I can compress it about 3mm apart from when its fully lowered. Sounds like a common issue – Let us know what the fix was.

tdog
    Free Member

I have this on my KS, mainly solved by dessembling and greasing then torquing.
    Seems to be fair bit quieter now. For how long…?

iainc

Update, the base click was the circlip and is not uncommon on the current model Reverb. It was also a little more spongy than should be.

New post is on its way from the good chaps at Bird Bikes. Great service and faultless communication from them.

iainc

Well the brand new post has same behaviour, and a chat with the guys at Bird confirmed it’s the circlip at the base with a bit of movement, it’s only about a mm, but feels more. They have raised it with SRAM and it’s a known ‘feature’ on the current model. Heyho, at least I know 😀

And first proper manky ride on local trails at Mugdock tonight confirmed that the Bird Zero TR is a mighty fine bicycle 🙂

guido

My new and unused Reverb is also sagging 4mm with a click. I wish I had checked it before cutting and bleeding the hose now..

iainc

seems that a small sag and click is normal. I understand up to a couple of 22 is ‘acceptable’. 4mm seems too much though..

strike
    Free Member

I recall being told by SRAM tech that the ‘click’ is play between the internals and the circlip which holds them in at the bottom of the post and is normal.

iainc

^^^^ yes, that’s what the folks at Bird said also. It’s a kind of daft design in that there has to be a mm or so of play to allow the circlip to be fitted and removed. You’d think they could have put a stiff rubber washer or something in, to dampen it a bit and take away the click.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

They certainly don’t all click n clank.So I’m guessing it’s a tolerance issue rather than ‘by design’ .Perhaps using the old style circlip may help if it still fits(although I have an older post that clicks.)

strike
    Free Member

The ‘click’ does appear to differ between posts and even between rebuilds (in my experience).

philjunior
    Free Member

You could try stuffing some fork grease up around the circlip, won’t stop the movement but might mute the noise.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Reverbs, why do we bother 😕

philjunior
    Free Member

Reverbs, why do we bother

Have you tried riding without a dropper lately? 🙂

darrenspink
    Free Member

Have you tried riding without a dropper lately

There are other makes of droppers.

iainc

liking The Reverb and the 1x paddle but the action isn’t as light as my Wolftooth LA remote on my Fox Transfer and not so good on my arthritic thumb.

New Fox and Wolftooth on its way so this one will be making it to the classifieds in a week or so..

chestrockwell

My Reverb seems to have lost a good 20mm of travel. Noticed on the last ride that it’s not returning to full height. User error or warranty job?

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘whats wrong with my new reverb stealth… ?’ is closed to new replies.