Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Whats up with pies in Scotland ?
  • flockofffish
    Free Member

Meat and potatoe pies from Hollands. Now that’s what i call a pie.
    Flock

druidh
    Free Member

There’s no e in potato!

flockofffish
    Free Member

Thanks Druidh for that ! Sorry about the e.
    Flock

druidh
    Free Member

Anyroadup – Macaroni Cheese pies for the post-pub snack win!

nick1962
    Free Member

Holland’s pies are gross,much prefer the ones up here.Mind you go in a chippy and ask for peas and see what response you get!
    I was told that chips are a Glasgow salad!

druidh
    Free Member

When I worked in a chippy, we had peas and beans on the menu. Problem was, it was exactly that on the menu “Peas & Beans – 25p“. You’d be amazed how many folk wanted both!

flockofffish
    Free Member

A Pie with Macaroni and cheese in, next you will be telling me that they eat pies with curry in!
    Flock

nick1962
    Free Member

A Pie with Macaroni and cheese in, next you will be telling me that they eat pies with curry in!

Multicutural cuisine innit 🙂

poly
    Free Member

If that upsets you, you really don’t want to know what actually goes in a “Scotch Pie”.

flockofffish
    Free Member

Just found out, that the meat pie can be traced back to the Neolithic Period, around 9500 BC. Have Hollands been going that long. Must be the oldest company in the world!
    Flock

CharlieMungus
    Free Member

To get a decent pie in Scotland you need to go to one of their health food shops

druidh
    Free Member
    Coyote
    Free Member

Pooles Pies. Thread closed.

flockofffish
    Free Member

I like a hard pie that can take a bit of knocking about. Scotch pie may be alright but can you take them down the pit ? My dad, took is M & P pie down with him and heated it up on his old shovel. The Scotch pie would have fallen to bits in his back pocket.
    Flock

druidh
    Free Member

Your dad was lucky! My family couldn’t afford pies for down the pit. They made thick porage, poured it into a drawer to let it set and then cut it into slices.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Masons pies are the shizzle

nick1962
    Free Member

Pie on a muffin…mmmmmm that’s my poison

flockofffish
    Free Member

He did not buy them, he got us to work for them, we had to goto the side of the railway lines and pick up the loose bits of coal that fell from the carriages on the way to the local steel works. we got one pie for 1 bag of 112lb of coal, if we were lucky on a good day. 2 bags for 1 most days. This was before we walked 10 miles to school.
    Flock

nick1962
    Free Member

But did you have to carry the 112lb bag the 10 miles to school-you had it easy

oreetmon
    Free Member

pie on a barm (muffin?) = a wigan kebab 🙂

djglover
    Free Member

Druidhs peas and beans tale reminds me of a tall tale my dad told me once. At level crossings in yorkshire the signs read ‘wait here while lights flash’. This saw many a fool sit in their Morris 1000 for an hour UNTIL the lights started flashing!

nick1962
    Free Member

http://www.ghsheldon.co.uk/process/12/LancashireOvenBottomMuffintrade.html

Not quite a barm and not a stupid American sweet thing either

flockofffish
    Free Member

nick1962
    No, My mum took them home first and cleaned each piece of coal with a brush. Because them at the big house on the hill did not like dirty coal. The master said to us before he beat us. “I don’t mind cheap coal, but dirty is not for me lads”.
    Flock

flockofffish
    Free Member

Thats something else “Barm and potato cakes” you don’t get up here nick lad!
    Flock

nick1962
    Free Member

flockoffish

And no pension I bet either!

flockofffish
    Free Member

Not if these toffee nosed tory’s get there way. I will be back cleaning coal like my old mum.
    Flock

flockofffish
    Free Member

I off to bed i have to be up at 4 to wash the road with my toothbrush before i go out and work a 15hr day if i am lucky.
    Flock

Northwind

The chicken curry scotch pie from that chippy in clerk street makes all other pies irrelevant.

(except pork pies obviously but they’re in a category of their own)

nick1962
    Free Member

I’ve quite taken a liking to toasted potato scones with a poached egg atop for brekkie since moving up here.Don’t think I’ll ever be tempted by Irn Bru though 😀

RustySpanner

Are you mad?

One thing the frock wearing alcoholics CAN do well is a decent pie.

Scotch pies are just stunning.

petrieboy

+1 for masons pies TJ, right on my old stomping ground.

duckman

frock wearing alcoholics

Thats a bit harsh rusty sheriffsbadge, we wear skirts!

bruneep

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wdqbi66oNuI[/video]

There’s no e in potato!

of course their is an “e” in it…..

maccruiskeen

If you really have Hollands withdrawl (its a long time since I’ve checked as there isn’t a branch round here) but you might get packs of them frozen in Farmfoods.

Simple Simon pies are very good but they’re a posh pie and unfortunately your local posh deli probably won’t stock them any more as Waitrose seem to be hoovering them all up.

If you are passing Ayrshire then Brownings pies are better than the mean.

pie on a barm (muffin?) = a wigan kebab

Have you had a scotch pie in a mortons crispy roll yet?

rootes1

potatoe

judging some pies contents they are very likely to contains potatoes

yummy

jota180
    Free Member

I once saw a pie on a pizza, deep fried in a Glasgow chippy, Paisley Road West IIRC

At the time I thought that was a marvellous idea but didn’t follow it up with an order for one 🙂

BoardinBob

Killie pie FTW

big_scot_nanny

Killie? Filth! Morton’s pies do it everytime.

In a roll.

With cheap ketchup.

aaaahhhh, my arteries!!!! 😆

maccruiskeen

I once saw a pie on a pizza, deep fried in a Glasgow chippy, Paisley Road West IIRC

Did you go for the Stonner instead?

firestarter
    Free Member

I was once up on the north east coast and saw some nice suet looking pies in the warmer, so asked for that and chips. My chat to my mate was interrupted by a strange sizzling dark brown bubbling grease mass on the side as I queried to the woman she began chucking pizzas in the fryer for the person behind. apparently the warmer was for warning and the fryer was to get it to proper temperature.Madness it was also awful as I had to try it 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Whats up with pies in Scotland ?’ is closed to new replies.