Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • What's up with my coil Lyrik?
  • Wozza
    Free Member

I’ve got a set of Lyrik coils on the front of my Tracer with the back end set to 155mm. I have the firm spring in since the medium one just blows through the travel.

The problems seems to be that on smooth flowy stuff like a trail centre they’re awesome, support and bounce when you go off something, just as they’re supposed to be. But on long rock gardens and repeated square edge hits they kick back through the bars something awful. I came down the Kentmere side of Garburn pass on Sunday and I could barely hold the bars by Kentmere. Not great.

So I’ve been messing with the MiCo damper, as per rockshox instructions, so high speed compression for that stuff, but it just doesn’t seem to make any difference.

Any tips? I am getting full travel btw.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Buggered rebound?

legend
    Free Member

bounce when you go off something

It might just be your terminology but suspension should never “bounce”, and if it did then I’d be suggesting that you need more rebound damping to stop the pogo effect – which would also settle the fork in rough stuff

Wozza
    Free Member

I usually have the rebound set to fast (low rebound damping) so maybe that’s the problem?

bounce when you go off something

Yeah, sorry if that was misleading. I mean it does small bump just fine and then jump off something and it absorbs the landing as you’d expect without kicking me off.

Wozza
    Free Member

I think i’ve done this myself… I think i’ve set the rebound too fast and it’s packing down on the repeated hits. I though be setting it fast it’d be there for the next hit but i’m not sure it works like that and the kick back is a side affect of having almost no rebound damping on… I think?

Also, I think I really need to take the floodgate out of the damper too to get the best of it.

gravity-slave
    Free Member

I think i’ve set the rebound too fast and it’s packing down on the repeated hits.

If it’s packing down, the rebound is set too slow (not enough time to rebound before the next hit).

Northwind

Sounds like too much rebound to me too- Mico’s a really powerful, tunable damper so it’s easy to get it to misbehave. But it’s really hard to say.

You mentioned that you get full travel- how often?

mccett
    Free Member

Try it without the floodgate, esp as you have gone up in spring weight. Thought mine were great until came down a long rocky descent in the Lakes, convinced they were knackered. Had to replace an oil seal and took floodgate out at same time. Like a different fork on fast techy descents now.

Wozza
    Free Member

Cheers for the help. I get full travel (well the usual 150mm of 160mm that you get out of rockshox) when I go off any steep drops at low speed with my weight over the front.

I’ll try and back off some of the rebound speed and get that flood gate out too.

Any more tips are greatly appreciated.

convinced they were knackered

My feelings in the rain on Sunday!

Northwind

Wozza – Member

Cheers for the help. I get full travel (well the usual 150mm of 160mm that you get out of rockshox) when I go off any steep drops at low speed with my weight over the front.

Sounds about right- apart from the 150mm thing, I’ve always had 160mm from my Lyriks. Just wondered if you’d fallen from the “full travel every ride” cobblers that inevitably leads to you hammering off the bottom if you do any harder rides.

Either try the firm spring with more rebound damping and the floodgate out. Bearing in mind the rebound adjuster theoretically only adjusts the beginning stroke rebound, it could be that the factory tuned end stroke rebound is to fast for you with your firm spring in it. In that case you’d have to find out how to tune it yourself or send it to loco/tftuned.

Or go back to the medium spring, keep the rebound quite high to keep it up in it’s travel, remove the flood gate and run a bit more low and high speed compression (you already have to add more just to get to the same amount of compression when you remove the floodgate, so add a few more clicks and then some more).

So it’s either that you are running to fast a rebound with the firm spring, or simply you are running to firm a spring. Also a bit of brakes dive is useful, it allows you to brake before a tight corner, moving your COG forward and shortening the wheelbase which makes it easier to get round the corner. Brake dive is one of those things weekend warriors try out in the car park and then proclaim “it’s to divey”…it’s not that big of a deal and it can be tuned out…but lots of people are obsessed by it and end up tuning it out or running such a stiff spring rate to the point that other areas of the forks performance is compromised. The real problem is when forks blow through their travel over terrain.

As always until we have computer controlled suspension with brilliant artificial intelligence that can tell what you need in terms of spring rate and damping at the correct time then suspension tuning will always be a trade off.

The other alternative is to get an Avalanche damper and start playing around with midvalve tunes.

Wozza
    Free Member

I’ll try that. I think it’s fast rebound, firm spring and the flood gate impeding oil flow.

Cheers.

Wozza
    Free Member

It was the rebound. Put more damping on it’s not nearly as savage. Cheers.

big_scot_nanny

I love these threads with updates, glad that it was sorted. 😀

Have you given consideration to taking the floodgate out? I have just started using coil lyriks, and think they are lovely, but would be interested as to how big a difference this makes.

Kev

Wozza
    Free Member

I tried but my snap ring pliers are a bit too big. I’ve borrowed a set off a mate so i’ll try and get it out this week.

By all accounts though it pretty much turns the original MiCo into a MiCo DH.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘What's up with my coil Lyrik?’ is closed to new replies.