Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What's the widest 29" tyre(but not 29+)?
  • kazafaza
    Free Member

As much as I love my Knardy up front of my rig there is no way I’ll be able to squeeze one at the back without some awful rubbing to the stays.

I wonder what is the chunkiest tyre you can get these days? I’ve seen this thread but it’s three years old now, what’s new on the market then?

I know for a fact that Geax AKA 2.2 is just as wide as Bontrager XR3 2.35, Kenda Karma 2.2 same as Schwalbe RaRa 2.4(same rim obviously) so ideally I’d go with actual measurement rather than fictional from the side wall.

Ardent? Minion? Help!

Cheers

ianfitz
    Free Member

A hans dampf is the biggest I’ve seen. Meant to be 2.35 but generously proportioned 🙂

scotroutes

As you say, 2.4 Ardent is pretty big.

letmetalktomark

My 2.35” Hans Dampf tyres are easily bigger than the 2.4 Ardent I have.

Same rims used for measurement.

nemesis
    Free Member

What’s the difference between 29 and 29+? Isn’t 29+ just big 29er tyres – eg 3+” wide?

FWIW, I’m reckoning that it could be fun to get a set of spare “650+” types/wheels in my 29er basically keeping the wheel size close to the standard ones but allowing quite a change in how the bike feels for minimal effort.

eddie11
    Free Member

MTBR geeked out on this a few years ago. Previous generation 2.4 racing ralphs were the biggest i understand. 2.4 is big anyway but schwalbe got the ruler very wrong. I have one and its massive, sadly the new ones are the right size as you say above. NOS Old ones come up on ebay. Double sadly its still a racing ralph so its got thin sidewalls and no grip. Big carcass mind 🙂

weeksy

Ardents are huge.

Smorgasboards are not small either.

Kenda Nevegals are also pretty beefy.

rickon
    Free Member

Hans Damf 2.35 for carcass width, comes up as 2.4.

The Minion 2.5 DHf comes up wider in nobble width at over 2.4.

drovercycles
    Free Member

Yeah Ardents in 2.4″ are pretty big, and light too.

ajantom

Chunky monkeys are 2.4 and come up huge on Rabbit Hole rims.

jameso

Measure the casing from bead to bead across the inside to get a good comparison if it’s volume you’re after rather than tread+casing overall bulk. Also doesn’t rely on factoring in the rims. Ardent 2.4s are 150mm.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

I went through this a year ago. Unless something new has come along…the 2.35 Hans Damf comes up 62mm (just measured mine with vernier caliper). Thats 2.44 inches give or take a gnats genitals.

The 2.4 ardents were smaller (I cannot remember exact size so wont guess).

kazafaza
    Free Member

Thanks for all the info gentlemen, there is a chance that my bike won’t look similar to that anymore:

😉

Cheers

ianfitz
    Free Member

Today I got some 2.4 conti x kings. They’re not quite hans dampf size but are a good size.

rickon
    Free Member

Yeah, the 2.4s are more like 2.3. The 2.2s are 2.0 in 29er format.

pastypunk

I’ve got a 2.4 Ardent exo only used a couple of times available if your interested, £15 + postage..

chakaping
    Free Member

Try to get a chunky monkey if you don’t mind it being quite knobbly.

Big tyre at a small price!

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

I think that Trek looks ace!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What's the widest 29" tyre(but not 29+)?’ is closed to new replies.