• This topic has 20 replies, 18 voices, and was last updated 15 years ago by taka.
Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Whats the ultimate in best looking frames?
  • 2unfit2ride
    Free Member

No, not the best looking bike, or indeed the bike you bought last, but the main component, the FRAME.

Should it be Ti, steel, or alloy?

Should it be fillet brazed with Ritchy cowled dropouts?

Should the seat stays meet at the same level as the top tube?

Should the cable routing be over the toptube, under it, or to the side, maybe under the downtube?

Should it have an integrated head set, or a conventional one?

I think you get the picture by now, so show or describe your ideal please.
    Cheers.

coogan
    Free Member

Dear God, seriously, its just a bike.

gingerflash
    sslowpace
    Free Member

Klein Attitude, pre trek with MC2 headset/forks/stem. Gert lush…

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

The Klein looks lush, in a retro kind of way.
    GF’s offering looks great, I think it would look better if the seatstays met the TT in the middle, but that may be just me.

sootyandjim
    Free Member

Aluminium hardtail – Either a Klein or a Cannondale.

Steel hardtail – Early DeKerf’s or my old Dialled Bikes Prince Albert (it looked good to me).

No full suspension frames look good. They are purely practical devices. Thats the rules, I don’t make them. 😉

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

steel, brazed, ritchy dropouts, wishbone stays, some kind of trick reinforcement arround the chainstays/BB area. Integradted headset, looks so cool on BMX’s.

geometry:
    16.5″ chainstays, clearance for 2.5″ tires (2.3″ + mud in english units), 17″ seat tube, 23.5″ Top Tube, 120mm head tube, 71deg seat angle, 69 head angle with 140mm forks.

no I’ve not been thinin about this fo a long time !

Anthony
    Free Member

Cotic Simple but,

Drop the rear wishbone by 1/4″ so it’s inline with the top tube.
    Add lugged joints which you can personally shape before the frame is built up.

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – Member
    steel, brazed, ritchy dropouts, wishbone stays, some kind of trick reinforcement arround the chainstays/BB area. Integradted headset, looks so cool on BMX’s.

geometry:
    16.5″ chainstays, clearance for 2.5″ tires (2.3″ + mud in english units), 17″ seat tube, 23.5″ Top Tube, 120mm head tube, 71deg seat angle, 69 head angle with 140mm forks.

no I’ve not been thinin about this fo a long time !

It seems you have been thinking about it for far to long, are you sure you don’t want to reconsider the wishbone stays ? 😉

Stoner
    Free Member

there’s someone on here who use to post a pic of a fillet brazed robin mather in grey with orange decals. Was the most beautiful bike Ive seen.

Im also partial to the cheap carbon molded road frames from the far east. I think the flow and lines usually look just right.

WhatWouldJesusRide
    Free Member

Medium size Singular Swift does it for me.

(Going to take one for a test ride when the new batch of frames arrive in April!)

shoefiti
    Free Member

My stupid one geared bike is pretty – not finished building it up in this pic thou, so no need for sillyness. Got forks that go up and down on it now. It’s amazing what they can do today!

GNARGNAR
    Free Member

I’ve always fancied a nicolai myself. I like the industrial form follows function look. And the G box would be nice too.

MrSmith
    Free Member

steel lugged track frame. everything else looks overcomplicated

Dibbs
    Free Member

The pic doesn’t do it justice but its my current favoutite

ourmaninthenorth

Currently, I rather like the IF road bikes (for steel) and Crumpton (for carbon).

Only Kleins seem to be the MTB frames that turn my head (and I own a Cotic).

To answer some of 2unfit2ride’s questions:

Fillet brazed, with the welds nicely smoothed, steel, wrap-over seat stays, not too much slope on the top tube.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

well, either wishbone or very curvy, like the sanderson’s but slimmer.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

sheldona
    Free Member

Watch this space, when my new ************ turns up 🙂

Farticus

Corratec Super Bow Titan or Retrotec Twin

Probably prefer the Retrotec with PMW sliders & huge clearances for proper clay / mud.

taka
    Free Member

solid blade

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Whats the ultimate in best looking frames?’ is closed to new replies.