Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • What’s the speed limit? And why don’t Google & Apple agree?
  • phil5556

This bit of road https://maps.app.goo.gl/XtFnLRdZuhV9kLAj6?g_st=ic
    near where I live has always been National speed limit AFAIK, it used to have signs saying so.

Sometime between 2016 & 2021 (closer to 2021 I think) the signs have been removed.

Until recently I hadn’t noticed the signs were gone.

There are street lights, so with no other signs = 30 I think. A road being changed from 60 to 30 I’d expect to at least see a “New Speed Limit in Force” sign but there’s been nothing, just an absence on signs.

Is there anywhere that shows what the limit of a road actually is?

And I can’t remember which way around it is but Google and Apple Maps disagree – one thinks it’s 30 the other 60. Locals seem to think it’s somewhere between 20 and 80…

CountZero

Try driving along it with your satnav on, it’ll probably tell you.

squirrelking
    Free Member

That’s a 60 and always has been, there has never been any notice to say a new speed limit is in force. Then again, neither has Kilmarnock Road which is now a 30 all the way to the Lang Road/ Commonwealth Road roundabout traffic lights.

Actually, if it was a lower limit there would be signs as you exit the roundabout at either end. Those lights are only around that bus stop are they not?

Cougar

The street light thing applies in the absence of other signage. What did the last sign you passed say?

It’s difficult to tell scale from the photo but that NSL sign looks like a repeater, which isn’t required in an NSL zone.

How fast were you going when you got pulled over?

phil5556

Try driving along it with your satnav on, it’ll probably tell you.

I have. One says 60 & the other says 30 (can’t remember which way around though).

phil5556

How fast were you going when you got pulled over?

I haven’t been, yet. I’ve only just noticed the signs have gone and it’s still been a 60 as far I’m concerned.

phil5556

Then again, neither has Kilmarnock Road which is now a 30 all the way to the Lang Road/ Commonwealth Road roundabout traffic lights.

At least there’s a 30 sign though. Don’t get me started about the lights 🙄

Those lights are only around that bus stop are they not?

Pretty sure they’re all the way along.

Cougar

I haven’t been, yet. I’ve only just noticed the signs have gone and it’s still been a 60 as far I’m concerned.

Based on the evidence presented I would concur.

phil5556

What did the last sign you passed say?

All other roads leading to the roundabouts at either end are NSL. I’m pretty sure coming from A759 from the south there’s a sign before the roundabout, I’d have to go and look to be sure, they keep changing everything.

Cougar

The defence rests, your honour.

vlad_the_invader

Have you tried asking the council (or whoever is responsible)? Maybe it fell off or was removed without authorization and the authorities are oblivious?
    Maybe its part of a desperate motorists defence against a speeding fine by creating ambiguity…

maccruiskeen

as a new local I’ve been pondering the same stretch – as you leave Kilmarnock road to join the A739 there theres an NSL sign and nothing after that to tell you. anything different at the roundabouts at either end of that stretch. But theres pavement on one side and the street lights are along the whole stretch and on both sides

anyway – OS have a map with regularly reviewed speed limit info – https://beta.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/products/os-mastermap-highways-network-with-speed-data – more likely to be accurate than apple / google maps if not actually definitive. Although clicking about a bit (without actually buying the data) its not that clear where their information comes from – whether its based on the officially stated limits for any given stretch of road that they map or whether it has been inferred by driver behaviour – “Average speed and indicative speed limits are now available to access directly from the OS National Geographic Database ” so they may just be deriving speed limit info from the speeds that people typically drive at which in most cases would be influenced by the signage on the road and on that stretch nobody really knows what speed to go.

What did the last sign you passed say?

Depends where you approach from

Dundonald Close which joins that stretch halfway along itself has the pretty unusual speed limit sign of 15 mph as you drive into Auchengate but leaving that road and rejoin the A739 theres nothing so you’ve driven into Auchengate, turned round and come back again, (its a dead end) thats the last sign you passed – so that being the nearest speed limit sign it could be 15mph all along 🙂 Bit of a scoop for Auchengate as London’s square mile declared recently it would be the first place in the UK to have 15mph limits

thols2

why don’t Google & Apple agree?

Have you tried emailing the CEOs to ask them to cooperate on open standards, etc.?

poly
    Free Member

The council should be able to tell you if there is a traffic regulation order in place, or it is a restricted road.  In theory I think they publish that stuff online but unless you knew what to look for it would be near impossible.  Traffic departments at the council are usually helpful for easy factual questions.

mc
    Free Member

IIRC if it’s a ‘built up area’, which means it has street lights, then in the absence of any speed limit signs, and no repeater speed signs (aka the little ones which IIRC have to be less than 200 yards apart), then the applicable NSL is 30mph.

squirrelking
    Free Member

IIRC if it’s a ‘built up area’, which means it has street lights, then in the absence of any speed limit signs, and no repeater speed signs (aka the little ones which IIRC have to be less than 200 yards apart), then the applicable NSL is 30mph.

Whilst true, the dualled A78 running parallel has street lighting as does the old road that used to connect to the roundabout at the papermill that is now just an access road (the one that runs behind the paper mill and is cut off by the railhead). I think at some point someone at Cunninghame District Council had money to spaff and wanted the bit joining Kyle and Carrick to look pretty.

Don’t get me started about the lights 🙄

My favourites are the random ones on the Loans road just along from the turnoff to the res 😆

Kids these days don’t know how good they have it, we had to do the long (and fast) way round or shlep through the fields if it wasn’t too muddy (which it usually was outside the height of summer).

kelvin

the dualled A78 running parallel has street lighting

How’s that signposted?

squirrelking
    Free Member

It’s not, it has no stopping signs and that’s it. It’s a lit section of dual carriageway but it doesn’t show any of the required signage that 70mph limit still applies. Nobody has ever indicated that the upper limit doesn’t apply.

There are other sections of the A78 where this also happens, I have no idea why.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I thought that street lights were an indicator* of a speed limit (depending upon spacing) and not “the law”.  If it’s anything other than a NSL then it would be signed.

*  You can have street lights in areas that are not built up and are still NSL

kelvin

Made me look…

National speed limits
    A speed limit of 30 miles per hour (48km/h) applies to all single and dual carriageways with street lights, unless there are signs showing otherwise.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

squirrelking
    Free Member

Yup and literally nobody obeys it.

Yes I’m aware what the law says.

CountZero

National speed limits
    A speed limit of 30 miles per hour (48km/h) applies to all single and dual carriageways with street lights, unless there are signs showing otherwise.

Yet the A420 out of Chippenham and the A4 out of Chippenham, both heading west, both with streetlights, both with houses on one side only, one is 30 mph, the other 40.

maccruiskeen

one is 30 mph, the other 40.

how do you know its 40 if there aren’t signs?

ossify

National speed limits

I have been reading and re-reading this page and it seems that the law is if I’m driving down the motorway on a stretch with streetlights and see the NSL sign, this means the speed limit is 30mph.

Obviously not true but for the life of me I can’t find the reality stated clearly, short of seeing a 70 sign (don’t think I’ve ever seen one)

Cougar

A motorway isn’t classified as a dual carriageway, it’s classified as a motorway. Different rules apply inherently, eg you can cycle on a dual carriageway but not a motorway.

(70) signs are rare but they do exist. There’s one near Colwyn Bay IIRC. Remember, NSL can mean different things to different vehicle classes.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.