Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Whats the riding like in the New Forest?
  • joe1983
    Free Member

Going down in a couple of weeks for a boys wknd and am considering going a day early with the bike. What kind of riding can be had there? Worth taking the bike down on the train? Ta

AndyRT
    Free Member

depends where you go, plus at this time of year it’s a total mud fest!

joe1983
    Free Member

Ah ok, thanks andy. Never been before and not sure where abouts the place we have booked is in relation to the forest. Struggling my way through the sticky stuff isn’t my idea of fun though, so may give it a miss if it’s going to be too muddy.

doglover
    Free Member

Can be ‘ok’ for a quick spin, mostly waymarked fireroads which can be a blessing as a lot boggy areas even in the summer, some nice pubs around as well.

frankyspanky69
    Free Member

Its ok but quite flat if i remember rightly.

69er
    Free Member

Lots and lots of good bits but they’re all hidden by the locals…. 🙂

And it is quite muddy but aren’t mtb’s designed for that sort of thing? Pussies!

joe1983
    Free Member

Ok cool, guess I’ll have to check conditions nearer the time then. Any locals want to offer up a good route? (waits for route through local estate)

Cheers

Ashley
    Free Member

The Local MTB club is Newforce – Here and they can be very helpful – especially if you can get onto one of their rides.

MrNutt
    Free Member

couple of interesting little bits I can remember from the last STW Southern ride I went to also some very boggy bits!! (and that was in the summer, sorry extended period of wet weather we had last year!)

dobo
    Free Member

unless you have local knowledge then your best bet is too stick with 100 miles of new forest tracks, anything interesting you do stumble upon is likley to be off limits.
    That said you can have some decent rides in the forest

i cant offer any exact routes to follow as they may contain off piste sections which i’m not going to promote and unlikely others will either.

But if you like frequent pub stops then try this

start nomansland pub, lamb inn?
    via howen bottom cycle trail to eyeworth & royal oak pub at fritham
    then to frogham via hampton ridge cycle trail and stop at the foresters pub
    Then explore your way back to nomansland! be warned if you go off piste donk forget your snorkel 🙂

even contains the odd hill!

Nick

The Local MTB club is Newforce – Here and they can be very helpful – especially if you can get onto one of their rides.

Interestingly the busiest part of their forum is dedicated to trips away from the area.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Whats the riding like in the New Forest?’ is closed to new replies.