Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Whats the recommended wire free security camera system
  • revs1972
    Free Member

Looking to install 3 camera’s initially to cover front and back of house and the garage.
    Currently using a Three 4g Home broadband modem which is giving me speeds between 10-15 MB/s so should be good enough I think.
    So what do people recommend ? The Blink looks like a decent system and advertises its battery as lasting up to 2 years. Works out as around £260 for the 3 camera system.
    I assume the battery lasts that long as they only “record” etc when triggered or when you log in ?
    TIA

towzer

I was looking at blink (*wired) and I think** that some blink functionality is subscription controlled, which put me off, so that might be worth checking

The smartwares guardians and netatmo, esp guardcam seemed to not need this but I think they’re all wired

If you do an install could you post back and let us know how it went as the battery ones would make placement a lot more flexible

towzer

Muffins, ignore me I can’t tell my blink from my ring, which could cause problems ……., sorry

dmorts

Is there something driving the installation of cameras?
    I bought a wired camera and nvr recorder but in the end didn’t install it. After consideration there was nowhere I could install it where it would give footage of any use and not be vulnerable to vandalism/someone disabling it.

Depends on your own circumstances though and what you actually need it for. E.g. a monitored/linked alarm system might be more effective at alerting you to a break in.

Northwind

I’ve got a Blink XT2 in the garage and very pleased with it. It’s not really wireless- the camera doesn’t broadcast to your device, it has a separate receiver station like a little custom router which has to be mains powered, but it can be far enough away for it to not really be an issue for me. I might add an external one some time.

The only thng I should mention is that the 2 year battery life is a theoretical, low-alert one. If it’s somewhere that you’re going to set it off, like it is for me, that’s going to be a lot less. (you can suspend the coverage but it’s a hassle). But I don’t think it’s a problem really

revs1972
    Free Member

Is there something driving the installation of cameras?

Nothing specific, just peace of mind really.

escrs
    Free Member

Take a look at https://www.spycameracctv.com/spy/wireless-cameras/wireless-systems/

They have some good completely wireless systems

Had my 2 camera system for 3 years now and its been great, can have alerts sent to your phone when camera is activated and then you can view the camera on the app and even talk to the person your watching

timbog160

I have 2 ring cameras and the doorbell. All battery powered and completely wireless. I also have the subs to allow viewing and recording at £80 per year. This is the more expensive option but gives you extended warranty and allows you to add as many devices as you want for no extra cost.

Initial cost is high compared to some but flexibility and reliability is excellent – I did have to buy some wifi extenders to get sufficient coverage.

I bought additional batteries for the cameras (you can fit 2 to each camera). Batteries seem to last between 2 and 3 months before the first one needs charging. You could leave it until both are gone which would give you 5-6 months.. Cameras are positioned so I can just reach out the window to remove and charge (overnight for full charge).

I am impressed enough that I am considering using a power line Wi-Fi extender to my garage and putting a camera down there.

Overall I’d give them 8 out of 10. The flexibility is the best thing.

sturdylad
    Free Member

Blink XT here. Been in about 3/4 months at least. Brackets are flimsy but they haven’t broken even with recent high winds.
    No subscription, decent quality footage and not a bad app to support it all.
    Got 2 cameras for £80, they were probably selling off old stock before the xt2 came out.
    Easy system to set up. Keeping eyes open for deals on more cameras to expand the coverage. (Black Friday….)

benp1

Arlo here, has it about two years now. Easy to use and reliable, pleased with it

No subscription costs so one off cost into it and that’s it. Entirely wireless with three cameras

Frankers
    Free Member

Using Blink for a while now, definitely recommended

revs1972
    Free Member

Have ordered the Blink XT2 3 camera system, so will give it a go next week when it gets here.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Whats the recommended wire free security camera system’ is closed to new replies.