Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • What’s the (in your opinion) most pointless bit of bling on your bike…?!
  • joshvegas
    Free Member

I had a set of WhiteIndustries ENO cranks that came on a bike, i fitted them to another. They’re easily the best looking cranks ever made but then i did the maths and realised by oldschool blue LX cranks were equally as functional and the ebay value was more than i got the whole bike for.

Nothing is bling on my bikes

integra

On mine it’s a toss up between the Roost ti bar or the ti eeWings. Would probably have to pick the bars as the cranks clear the frame unlike Shimano ones.

stevede
    Free Member

I’d say probably the ti railed option I went for on my fabric scoop saddle, purely because it was the only one in stock in the black on black non colour way at the time. The irony is that it’s fitted to my on one hello dave, kitted out with domains and hope fortus 30’s with an insert and dh tyres!!! That bike weighs more than my fs enduro bike and certainly doesn’t warrant ti rails 😂

13thfloormonk

Oil slick ti bolts, but they’re on my top tube so at least they’re always visible.

Oil slick lezyne bottle cages, not even as good as the bottle cages they replaced and the oil slick finish flaked off in six months of mostly indoor use 😭

Anodised spoke nipples arranged in a patriotic Italian flag arrangement. They didn’t actually cost any extra but I’m counting the extra build time it took me, and literally nobody ever commented on them and now I don’t even use those wheels 🙄

Ritchey WCS on my road bikes

Equally guilty! Matchy matchy bars/stem/seatpost.

p7eaven
    Free Member

bigginge beat me to it 😂 . Otherwise is anodised Hope spacers, post-clamp and matching cable-ends 😳 In all fairnesw the full-build was a used purchase and am planning replacing as they wear-out-*

*So far one cable-end in three years and I reused that twice before it crumbled. My low tolerance for wastefulness messes with my fashion abilities

Northwind

I have a bike that’s permanently fitted to a turbo trainer. Its pedals have titanium axles.

martdg99
    Free Member

New stickers for my pikes…

jeffl

Old bike, Specialized Hard Rock, would have to have been the original hope mini brake up front. Cost almost 1/3 of the original bike price!

Edit: Oh and the SSG Bel-Air saddle in cow print with titanium rails. Did get it cheap at a bike show TBF.

ElShalimo

I used to have an anodised purple chain tensioner on my GT Timberline (it was the mid-90s and that kind of shenanigans was acceptable)

Current one is a copper Knog Oi bell. It’s shit but is pretty

chiefgrooveguru

Both my MTBs are really rather nice but both are completely lacking in bling. The closest are the (black) Hope floating rotors on one but as they’re old and from different eras so they don’t even match, I don’t think they count anymore!

My new Moxie gets noticed because it is pinker than a very pink thing and looks awesome but everything on it was chosen for function over bling, sorry. Lyrik Ultimate has shiny decals though.

dyna-ti

I have to admit I’m struggling with this one. Where to start really.

tomtomthepipersson
    Free Member

I have a bike that’s permanently fitted to a turbo trainer. Its pedals have titanium axles.

I bought a road bike just to use on a wheel-off turbo trainer. It has never been on a road, in fact it hasn’t ever left my garage. I have no desire to ever ride a bike on the road. Yet I’ve bought better, more expensive tyres for it. Twice. Idiot.

stevedoc
    Free Member

After reading the replies I dont feel bad about spending £30 on two Ti shock bolts now

Rich_s

Dropper seatpost. Use it maybe once a ride.

I suppose it can come in handy when trying to fit the bike in the car though.

sirromj

The fake dirt.

filks

Anodised cable ferrules

dirtyrider
    Free Member

I bought a carbon sram shifter clamp once, BK Composites, saved 12 grams

falkirk-mark

I bought XTR when it very first came out and realised to change chain,rings and cassette was over a weeks wages (didn’t last great either). After that I just ran the bike as they came (only changing kit that annoyed/ wasn’t up to job) which was not much really. Do buy droppers if the bike didn’t come with one though.

jimmy

Don’t do bling really. Matching Thomson stem and seatpost on my ti tripster is about as far as it goes for me.

cb200
    Free Member

I tend to order Wolftooth bits when I’ve had a few beers. Some nice and functional (dropper trigger,  bar tape, cog), some just because they have the logo (stem cap, seatpost clamp, bottle cage)

Also, unnecessary anodised bolts on forks

bikerevivesheffield

That fork looks like a spotty teenager

nickc

I think braided brake hoses are definitely in the useless bling category. nice looking, adds nothing at all to the functionality and for extra bling points are actually harder to fit properly than the boggo black plastic hoses. If it actually makes your life harder for no real benefits other than it looks nice…that’s dedication to the cause

I don’t do bling says the poster with the frou -frou – hyper expensive for no real benefit – matchy matchy seat post and stem…

I think there are some folks in denial about their spending decisions.

belugabob
    Free Member

Custom headbadge – pointless to anybody but me…

https://photos.app.goo.gl/fm4VX2mvPWqdyajZ7

tthew

Stopped to help some kids in Delamere today who looked like they were struggling with a stem bolt. Turns out they’d rounded it out while trying to remove it to change the black spacers for gold ones just purchased from the bike shop.

As the other one was still tight and the stem was secure on the steerer, suggested they’d probably be better doing it at home and not risk making worse in the middle of the woods.

Awesome teenager logic. 🤣🤣

gurnster75
    Free Member

Embarrassingly a full bike.

Bought a Lynskey built PX road bike, plumped for full Dura Ace pedals the lot. Zip carbon bar and stem, titanium and carbon wheel skewers, cut out seat clamp with titanium bolt etc. Got carried away with saving weight, unfortunately did all this before I realised road bikes weren’t my thing, so if I round up its probably done 50 miles, so currently an expensive albeit shiny ornament and a reminder not to get too carried away.

garethjw

Ti caliper bolts. PURPLE ti caliper bolts

mattbee

£35 spent on ti saddle clamp bolts for my Magura Vyron seat post. Although the Ti top cap bolt might be more pointless ever so slightly, along with the carbon top cap it holds on. Replacing the rear cage plate on my AXS mech with a carbon one saved a whole 6g and cans really be seen let alone felt either.

angrycat
    Free Member

Van Nicholas ti stem, Thomson ti flat bars, Torus TIF36 ti forks, ti layback seatpost – well it is on a Cotic Soda. I might have a bit of a ti fetish!

andrewh
    Free Member

I’ve got one one of the titanium Chris King headsets on the DH bike I rarely use, a 2008 Stinky.
    Because a normal CK one isn’t blongy enough🙈
    TBF I used it for the first time since before the plague last month by coming not quite last at the MacAvalanche. Maybe it would have been last if I had had to use just a normal headset

fatbrad
    Free Member

Probably the XTR rear mech on my YT. But it was bought second hand so I don’t feel quite as bad.

desperatebicycle

Carbon Rocky Mountain bars on my Rocky Mountain. It came with perfectly good Race Face bars, but I was looking for some bars on ebay for another bike, saw these and had to have them. Really rather unnecessary, as is all the best bling.

ayjaydoubleyou

Pointless – Fidlock bottle.
    Bought purely for looks (although with the proviso that any bottle for that bike needs a usable cap over the mouthpiece)

choppersquad
    Free Member

Oil slick valve caps which cost a fiver.
    That’s it.
    I never win anything.

nickjb
    Free Member

I never win anything

You never know. You’ve spent money on something that performs worse than the part it replaced, heavier and likely to seize on. That’s up there in the pointless stakes.

funkmasterp

Where/what are you riding? I use mine all the time, even at traffic lights!

p7eaven
    Free Member

Probably the XTR rear mech

My 2×10 29er came fitted with an XTR rear-mech. previous 2×10 29er had a mid-range Deore rear-mech. I find that the XTR one shifts faster and with more ease. It just feels smooth and sharp by comparison. I may be imagining it.

#eatmagicbeans

dyna-ti

Ditto. I’m more the urban cyclist tbh, so the dropper isn’t really something i’ve used other than to make it easier to throw a leg over when mounting.

So off it comes to be replaced with the carbon USE post i got in their outlet sale.

Syncros 2.5 170mm dropper – 650 grams(inc remote)

USE Sumo carbon post – 240 grams.

14 1/2 ounce difference.

alan1977
    Free Member

literally use my dropper every stop/start and every time the trail changes from down to up again…
    Id even put one on my grave/road bike thing if it didnt mean sacrificing my ninja pump in the seatpost.. 😀

As for the tyres on the turbo trainer bike ^^^^ 😀

plop_pants
    Free Member

Reynolds blacklabel carbons. Noisey as hell freehub and feel no different to my Hunt XCs. Bought the reynolds for racing just as I was packing up racing.🙄

Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.