Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What’s the go to ‘value for money’ brake these days?
  • core

I need new brakes for my Cotic Flare, 90kg ish rider riding some XC and let’s say red grade type trail centre stuff, but mostly natural.

I have 1 litre of shimano fluid in the shed so kind of leaning that way, but not unless they’ve solved the weeping caliper issue? So open to other brands.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Deore or the 4-pot e-bike version if you want a bit more.

tomhoward

I’ve just got some Deore 4 piston ones. Haven’t actually tried them yet, but they can be had for pretty cheap, seemed to be pitched at e bikes, so shouldn’t have any issue dealing with you and a flare

chakaping
    Free Member

Shame you missed the Deores for £50/pair on CRC.

I’ll probably get the Deore 4-pot ones mentioned above next time, but the normal 2-pot ones are great too – just maybe need to upsize the discs to get more feel.

Any bargains about on the 4-pot Deores then?

monkeyboyjc

Clarks m2 for propper value for money at less than 40quid a set Inc discs.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F113278012368

joeydeacon
    Free Member

Ditto on the Clarks’ M2s.. get the 180mms for MTB..

cchris2lou

Been using the Deore 4 pots for a few weeks. Got them at less than 150 euros on german site.

Great power but had to adjust my riding as felt I was loosing the front a few times.

Had a good ride yesterday and  for the first time in the wet.

Kelliesheros
    Free Member

Re: Clark’s m2, I just bagged a set for 34 notes from amazon. Going on the hard tail for the winter, maybe not the greatest brake in the world but, will suffice for the spare bike.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Guides were on offer at CRC recently. Don’t know if they still are.

qwerty
    Free Member

Magura MT Trail Sport?

bwakel
    Free Member

Haven’t tried the four pot Deores but gave up with the two pot ones.  Had them replaced under warranty twice as they start leaking after just 4 or 500 miles.  Replaced them with SRAM Level T after enjoying a set that came on my Bronson.  They’re much less wooden feeling than Deore and have plenty of power for riding aggressive trails in the Lakes.  Need more of a pull than the Guides I have on another bike when really hammering but I reckon the ultimate stopping power is the same.  There are deals from various suppliers at the moment.

mattyfez

Yeh I have sram TL and they suite me fine, I’m a 100kg  XC bimbler though. Using 180/160 disks

I almost went for clarks but wanted something a bit fancier. Didn’t fancy the grabby nature of shimano so went for the sram, nice modulated lever feel.

warpcow
    Free Member

Just fitted deore 4-pots last week and power is very good, but grabby.  Definitely an adjustment needed after coming from Hope X2s or even the older Shimano 2-pots on my other bike.

edhornby

for the riding you described, the Clarks, they use the shimano style mineral oil

wombat

Watching with interest

joebristol

If you can find a good deal on Sram guide r’s I’ve got them on both bikes and they’ve been great so far. Fs has 200/180mm centreline discs and the hardtail has 160mm Shimano cheapie discs. Both are fine for their respective bikes, but he ones with centreline discs definitely have more power and bite.

Neither are grabby / come on strong like some of the newer Shimano brakes I’ve used and modulate better so I’m good with that.

If you want instant really strong grabby brakes then it sounds like the new 4pot Deore level (but non series) brakes are your best value for money brake.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Just ordered some Deore 4-pots (MT501) too from Rose bikes. 52 – 55 an end. 10 quid off if you sign up to the newsletter and free postage over 100 too.

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/shimano-deore-mt501-4-piston-front-disc-brake-caliper-2669654

submarined
    Free Member

Guide RS are 60 quid an end at CRC at the mo. I had RSCs and used RS and they were both good. RS had a much nicer, more power, and the lever didn’t bend really easily in crashes like the R does.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What’s the go to ‘value for money’ brake these days?’ is closed to new replies.