Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What’s the front mudguard du jour?
  • Davesport

I’m presently using one of these Enduroguard but I’m still getting sprayed with a heady mix of farm run off & manure on my local rides.

I need something that extends further round the back of the tyre to reduce the spray. What’s good?

Thanks in advance, Dave.

dc1988

There’s a few options but I use a crudcatcher fender xl and it’s fantastic, useful if you want to quickly remove but there are slightly neater options if you don’t mind cable ties for fitting

Akers

RRP ProGuard Bolt On is my favourite currently. Bit more expensive than standard attachment but no zip ties and rubbing.

jam-bo

RRP pro super max xtra.

leave it on all year round.

cleetonator

+1 RRP Proguard

Davesport

Checking! Ta for the replies so far :o)

iamtheresurrection

+2 RRP Bolt On. It’s a good shape, stable and stupidly expensive 😉

binman

Have the RRP Proguard and Mudhugger with extension. The Mudhugger gives a little more coverage.

lewzz10
    Free Member

Crud XL as above, it’s unreal. On filthy rides everyone is astounded how clean you stay IME.

gravesendgrunt
    Free Member

The Zefal Deflector FM30 works well,not bad for around £15

jam-bo

Pro guard max is longer than mudhugger with the extension.

chrispo
    Free Member

But which one is easiest to snap off when it clogs up with mud to the point where the wheel stops turning halfway down an enduro stage?

jam-bo

But which one is easiest to snap off when it clogs up with mud to the point where the wheel stops turning halfway down an enduro stage?

this race series sounds awesome. Where do I sign up!

tjagain

Muddhugger is fantastic

dc1988

You can slide the crudcatcher over the fork arch so it provides as much clearance as your fork.

Nick

I’ve always rated Rockguardz Mudguardz

zippykona

I heated up the lip on my Crud XL and added a mudflap.

wzzzz
    Free Member

crud XL here, brill.

Northwind

“du jour” will definitely be something brace mounted.

But if you’re not bothered about what’s cool today, get a Shockboard, they’re better. Can’t clog up, doesn’t look as horrible imo (it’s still not pretty but the moto style is way nicer to my eyes), and works just as well.

binman

“Pro guard max is longer than mudhugger with the extension.”

Mine isn’t !!???  But is the longer Mudhugger plus extension.

I like that you can remove the extension in the less wet month.

teethgrinder

I went with a Crud XL. Works so well I don’t need glasses to stop mud getting in my eyes (doesn’t help with insects spring to autumn, though).

Bonus for using o-rings so it’s easy to take off and put back on of the bike goes in the car, and easy to swap between bikes.

razorrazoo

I have a Crud XL but found it gets tyre buzz on big compressions however I try to adjust the height, this may not be an issue depending on what/how you ride.  My other issue with it is that it looks awful, again not an issue for some but I’m shallow like that.

I’m currently using a Mudhugger FRX, which does not offer so much protection, but does the job fine and still uses velcro straps to allow for quick fitting/removal.

z1ppy

Mudhugger both ends, for minimal muddiness.
    Front one stay on all year round, with the extension fitted during the wetter month. Unfortunately my extenstion fell off (it had unclipped earlier and I’d bodged it back on, so my own fault), so if anyone find one round Stourbridge ways, I’d appreciate it back..

SirHC

Crud XL, no more chopping cable ties off to remove it. I’ve got a full length one, then another one thats been trimmed for summer use.

I have a Crud XL but found it gets tyre buzz on big compressions however I try to adjust the height, this may not be an issue depending on what/how you ride. My other issue with it is that it looks awful, again not an issue for some but I’m shallow like that.

Have you got the rear section tethered to the fork arch?

Davesport

Many thanks for all of the excellent replies. I’m away to check out my options. Looking forwards to not smelling like a slurry pit when I get home.

mrmrhill
    Free Member

🙋‍♂️ Another vote for the Crud XL.

militantmandy
    Free Member

I went Crud XL….having bought both the Mudhugger and RRP only to discover they don’t have enough clearance (not their fault). The Crud seems really good though and may be your only option if you’ve got an Ohlins RXF 36 Evo.

SirHC

@millitantmandy , I wend straight to the crud catcher when I had the Ohlins, how on earth they deemed the clearance acceptable I have no idea!

impatientbull

Crud XL for me. It seems to give better face/body protection than the Mudhugger FRX. It doesn’t protect the stanchions or seals, but doesn’t get blocked either. Easy to adjust, remove and fit (bungies rather than zip ties). Not limited by the fork crown so can be moved up to fit burly tyres, but will buzz off the fork CSU at full compression.

I noticed that there is a new bolt on Mudhugger EVO coming out, but can’t find many details. It was one of Rob Weaver’s gear of the year items over on the other bike website that navigates like a submarine.

razorrazoo

Have you got the rear section tethered to the fork arch?

No, what difference would this make?

FWIW several other reviews have mentioned it too (flex and bottom out buzz) – again, this will partially come down to how / what you ride.  In terms of its job as a mudguard, it’s great and the ease of mounting is the best on the market (unless you have a bolt on version), but for me the noise it makes became irritating.  I still have it so will give it another try.

Another question, what do people use for lift assisted riding where a full guard snags on front wheel mounted chairlift carriers?  I’ve used a Rockguardz PG350 which provides a little more protection than the original Mucky Nutz type arch fenders, but has anyone found a better solution?  I’ve ridden in some horrible Alpine weather when a fuller guard would be a real benefit.

SirHC

Tethering the rear section to the fork arch stops it tapping the arch.

From memory, no problems with full length guard on a 29inch wheel, as the wheel sits higher in the slot, not looking forward to the lifts this summer with a 1324mm wheelbase !

milfordvet
    Free Member

Mudhugger front and rear year round. Keeps mu feet dry crossing fords.

Besides me and my feet, less muck thrown onto bottles, forks and headset, but I’m a Yorkshireman. I do wonder if more muck falls down onto the hub bearings. They seem ok though (DT’s).

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What’s the front mudguard du jour?’ is closed to new replies.