Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What’s the current headtorch de jour – or de nuit?
  • MoreCashThanDash

Between the last Scout and Guide camps, my darling children have misplaced both our headtorches, so what’s the current preferred model, as both ours were 3-4 years old.

After battery power rather than chargeable, suitable for camping and night hikes, rather than running. And at a price that won’t make me cry if it doesn’t come back from next weeks expedition.

Thanks

tuboflard

Alpkit? Start at £13 at the moment.

MoreCashThanDash

Alpkit are just down the road, so that works for us!

Spin
    Free Member

Hard to go wrong with alpkit for that kind of usage.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

For £25 this is a very good torch. In terms of performance it’s nearly there with a Petzl Nao which is over £100 more

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/onnight-710-black-and-orange-id_8370255.html

wrightyson
    Free Member

Still rocking two alpkits in the wrighty household from a recommendation on here many years ago.

CraigW
    Free Member

Fenix headtorches are good. Depends on how bright it needs to be, and how much you want to spend.
    I think USB recharging is a lot more convenient than AA batteries nowadays.

timidwheeler

I’m really impressed with our Alpkit one. I’m going to buy another.

martymac

Have a couple of alpkit ones, both really good.

lunge

Decathlon running ones, cheap and work well.

nuke

Tried the Alpkit etc then took a punt on this 18650 powered head torch given i had a few 18650 batteries and its been ace and all for £4.30 delivered…

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/112879263204

Takes 2 batteries but found it happily ran off one

tjagain

I have petzel tikkas – a few years old now but I cannot fault them

perchypanther
    Free Member

Obviously, this one ….

Who wants to look like a coal miner when you can look like Iron Man.

Kalenji running torch fom Decathlon

footflaps

Alpkit Viper is my favourite…

Harry_the_Spider

My Alpkit Gamma is quite frankly rubbish. If you drop it the battery pack breaks. I’m on the second battery pack and that is held together with tape.

Millets do one for a third the price and it is a lot brighter. Also, if your kids lose it or break it was only £4.

kcal

Alpkit maybe, Tesco ones are perfectly good. Black Diamond if you’re feeling flush.

Cougar

I’m a fan of Led Lenser, not least because their customer service is superb.

I had a LL head torch which developed a fault – the cable between the lamp and the battery frayed – so I dropped them an email expecting nowt as I’d no receipt and no memory of where or when I bought it beyond “it’s a few years old.” They said, sure, send it back and we’ll take a look. A few days later I received a brand spanking new one as a replacement, the next model up from the one I’d returned.

lunge

Who wants to look like a coal miner when you can look like Iron Man.

Kalenji running torch fom Decathlon

To be fair, that chest one is brilliant for running, gives a really good perspective on the road ahead.

For the Op’s usage this one may be better. I use it a lot and like it.
    https://www.decathlon.co.uk/onnight-210-trail-head-torch-id_8503712.html

MoreCashThanDash

Thanks everyone. Alpkit Quark to the rescue for this next week’s expedition – we went through several Gamma battery boxes when they were first released, don’t know if the later versions have improved.

Fwiw – rechargeable are great but not if you are on a 3 week trip away from sockets, hence we’ve always had a battery powered one as well

footflaps

Not tried the Quark yet, so far I have a collection of Manta, Prism, Gamma, Viper and Blips!

The only ones I don’t use are the Prisms, which I keep meaning to put on Ebay…

Head Torches and Lighting

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What’s the current headtorch de jour – or de nuit?’ is closed to new replies.