Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What’s the best way of selling stuff “collect only”?
  • BigJohn

I’m doing a garage clearout. Lots of things to get rid of, mostly biggish stuff that I don’t want to be bothered parcelling up and posting. Woodwork stuff like an old chop saw, old pillar drill, pocket hole machine then some old hi-fi speakers & receiver, gas fire and so on.

None of them worth a great deal and I hear that ebay is poor for this kind of thing – everybody says “will you post it?” after the sale. Does any local, reliable service exist? I’m in Stafford and have heard of (but not used) Facebook and Gumtree.

nickjb
    Free Member

Facebook is good. There are usually local groups you can post too. It also searches by location. You will still get some chancers though

franksinatra

I’d probably go to gumtree for that sort of stuff. Just be super clear in the advert, collection only. You WILL have timewasters, people wanting you to post it to the wrong end of the country etc, just accept that and ignore them.

Note of caution though, there are lots of Gumtree scammers around. Anything that involves offers buyers arranging a courier is usually a scam. Cold hard cash in your hand keeps you safe. Gumtree is simple, post add, arrange collection, take cash. That is the only way.

I was selling a fancy pants demisting bathroom mirror last week. Very convincing, engaging questions from potential buyer but said he was in Bristol (I’m in Scotland). He wanted to arrange courier then sent me link to a page that looked like Gumtree courier / payment transaction page. It then attempted to log me in to PayPal (obviously wasn’t real paypal). It was a very convincing and easy to fall for.

DezB
    Free Member

Facebook and Gumtree will probably get them sold, but have to prepare yourself for a lot of timewasters.
    Ebay does work for local pickup only. You can set the options in your listing. But ebay fees are mental these days.
    EVerywhere you’ll get “can you post it”?! just say no 😀

kerley
    Free Member

I sell on eBay as local collection only and also put in big bold capitals in the description “LOCAL COLLECTION ONLY PERSONALLY BY BUYER< NO COURIERS< NO POSTAGE”

Guess what, I still get “Can you post it”. In a country where 80% of the people are as thick as mince there is not really much you can do about it.

BigJohn

Righty ho, I’ll put it all on eBay and find ways of being sarcastic to the “will you post it” crowd.

Edit: and I’ve just spotted a “Sell 3 for Free” email from eBay sent earlier this afternoon.

stevextc
    Free Member

I hear that ebay is poor for this kind of thing – everybody says “will you post it?” after the sale. Does any local, reliable service exist? I’m in Stafford and have heard of (but not used) Facebook and Gumtree.

Its a mixed bag IMHO.
    As with anything probably best not jumping onto a online platform with both feet … sorta open yourself up to scams etc until you know the ropes… (IMHO) on FB probably worth lurking for a while on different selling groups just to see how others cope.

Obv. things like don’t randomly give out your address … as an example a few thefts locally of Audi’s where someone went over for a “socially distanced” look and then the car disappeared 0200 in the morning and people think they clone the key)

Obv not you’re not selling a car…just saying be a bit careful

BigJohn

It’s OK. I’ve completed 67 transactions on eBay, it’s just I’ve never done a Collect Only sale. I might spread some of the lower value items around different sites though. Ones that may generate some competition I’ll go with the auction.

kayak23

Ooh I might have the pocket holer off you.
    Would you post?

BigJohn

For you, dear, anything! (Song from My Fair Lady) it’s a Kreg Foreman. 240v, not heavily used £340 new comes with 2 new bits. Make me an offer by DM and I’ll get it to you.
    There’s reasonable riding round your way and I’d love to see some of your pieces 😜

kayak23

Ha! Sorry dude. I was just being a knobber.
    My attempts at humour so often fail 😂
    It’s a good machine but I haven’t got room to swing an amoeba in my workshop, let alone squeeze in more machines. 😊👊

BigJohn

😄

(I don’t rate your work anyway)

kayak23

😃👊

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What’s the best way of selling stuff “collect only”?’ is closed to new replies.