Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Whats the best route from Brighton to Eurotunnel
  • 40mpg

Given the current Operation Stack situation on the M20. HA directive is to use A249/M2/A2 but that takes you to dover. Doesnt say how to get to Folkestone!

Local traffic can follow the M20 on the A20 but that looks rammed this morning (I’m going tomorrow). I’m thinking rather than heading up to the M25, take the coast route A27/A259. Never been that way so no idea how its likely to fare!

Anyone done this very recently or have advice? I only want to go and watch a bit of bike racing in Holland!

midlifecrashes

I’ve no idea, but can you switch to Newhaven Dieppe and avoid the lot?

bigyinn
    Free Member

I dont think the Eurotunnel trains stop at Newhaven.

40mpg

Bit of a bump for the lunchtime crowd

edhornby

it’s only 80miles, get up early and ride your bike along the south coast

then get a train calais to wherever

m1kea
    Free Member

The A259 is a err ‘popular’ single carriageway road (i.e a mare, especially in rush hours).

Nice and scenic route if you have the time though 🙂

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

A20 past the Stack was VERY slow Wednesday mid day last week and cost me well over an hour on the satnav eta. Whichever way you go leave plenty of time as spaces for latecomers are not there. Arriving 10 minutes after last check in for my booking last week meant a 3 hour wait for the next available space.

EDIT:
    Despite arriving 2 hours early for the return trip we left half an hour late due to rearranged crossings.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

As m1kea says, the A27 / A259 once you get past Seaford just bogs down a lot. If you decide to that way make sure you have a few hours, a flask of tea and lots of jelly babies.

If you’ve not bought tickets yet, drive to Southampton and fly to Amsterdam? Probably quicker in the long run.

40mpg

If you’ve not bought tickets yet, drive to Southampton and fly to Amsterdam? Probably quicker in the long run.

Need the car as we’ve got 4 bods, 4 bikes and camping gear to chase the Tour de France around for 4 days!

MB – cheers for that info, thats useful to know. We’re leaving Southampton 9am now for a 4pm train!

tyrionl1
    Free Member

OK there’s a bit of a bottle neck at Hythe, I experienced it myself last night a ten minute journey home took 45 minutes but there is a route you can take.

So A27 to Other side of Eastbourne, then head inland toward Battle to miss Bexhill & Hastings you use the backroads through villages Hooe, Ninfield Catsfield, pick up the A21 then head back toward hastings, then left A28 to Broad Oak then right through Udimore into the back end of Rye, then you have a choice of the A259 which is a bit touristy this time of year or there are back roads across the Marsh through Appledore, Snargate, Newchurch, Burmarsh, into West Hythe, you can then go Lympne pick up the A20 at New Inn green and you are then in the mix for the chunnel traffic.

That will work becuase not many folk know it other than us frequent south coast travellers in tourist season it’s also a good road bike route with little traffic. Map it out first. Don’t get suckered onto the M20 or they’ll route you round in circles, best come into Folkestone then head back out to the Tunnel entrance that way you’ll get right into the pipe.

Good Luck I can see them moving a bit now but there are five thousand trucks to clear and it took almost a week last time.

m1kea
    Free Member

@ tyrionl1’s route: #ihopeyouhaveagps

richardthird

A27 dual carriageway to Lewes then it goes (shamefully) single carriageway to Pevensey (just east of Eastbourne) then just follow the A259, through Bexhill, Hastings, Winchelsea, Rye (nice to stop at), then continues to follow the beach through New Romney, Dymchurch, Hythe, Folkestone.

Easy.

DaRC_L

then just follow the A259, through Bexhill, Hastings, Winchelsea, Rye (nice to stop at), then continues to follow the beach through New Romney, Dymchurch, Hythe, Folkestone.

And make sure you have some easy listening and de-stressing music ‘cos you won’t be able to rush.

bigyinn
    Free Member

I drove from Portsmouth to Dover along the south coast about 15 years ago, lovely drive and pretty countryside, bur once you got East of Rye its soooooo slow.

ollybus
    Free Member

I remember riding that route when I bought a new motorbike from a dealer in Hythe in the middle of winter. I was so perishing cold, i had to warm my hands on the cylinder head at every set of traffic lights! It is a lovely meandering route though!

sam_underhill

Hmmm, spanner in the works.
    http://www.eurotunnel.com/uk/traveller-info/latest/

Seems to indicate that there are planned works meaning the A20 access to the eurotunnel is shut! I can only assume that they’ve re-opened this during operation stack.

sam_underhill

Ah, I see, operation stack is between 8 – 11. Get on the M20 @ J11 then from which ever route you take and then down to 11a for the Eurotunnel. I envisage plenty of sitting in traffic this weekend 🙁

granny_ring

Yep as above get to J11 for J11A to the tunnel, only access at the moment.

tyrionl1
    Free Member

No no no there is always local access to the tunnel from the A20, unfortunately over the years some truckers have picked up on it so come down to junction 12 then head back out on the A20 to the local access portal at the junction of A20 and the road to Etchinghill at Frogholt, google maps it.

The route I indicated is what we locals use when travelling between Eastbourne and Folkestone at this time of year.

The good news is they are moving stuff, the bad news is there are over 5000 trucks to clear so this will be inconvenient to everybody for at least three or four more days.

sam_underhill

tyrionl1 – it’s that local A20 access that is temporarily shut for a couple of weeks during some planned works.

garage-dweller

I can’t help thinking that if it was me booking a crossing Harwich/Hoek van Holland would be easier overall… I know it’s a long crossing but the UK side travel and reliance on avoiding striking French dockers on the euro tunnel/ dover options seems even worse.

tyrionl1
    Free Member

Go Ramsgate – Zeebrugge, 4 hour crossing.

That access I used just last tuesday, so if it has been closed since then sorry for the duff intel, but it would surprise me if it were totally shut.

But it really is bedlam here right now, if you have a choice – don’t.

See the Calais blockade thread for an update as of last night.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Whats the best route from Brighton to Eurotunnel’ is closed to new replies.