Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What’s the best handlebar mount for a mobile phone?
  • tthew

This will be for a Christmas present. I’m thinking something that is a universal fit rather than a model specific case, (although I could be persuaded otherwise). A moderate amount of water resistance would also be useful.

Ta.

nickc

Quadlock by far – Although it does fail your “must be universal” rule, sorry. Of all the ones I’ve tried; it’s head a shoulders above everything else. Obviously it will need both mount and case both of which are expensive in comparison to others, but the mount is universal so once you have bought one, that can be used wherever.

Although – food for thought; I read someone saying on here that he though the phone being on the handlebars had damaged his phone as his camera was taking poor photos?

reeksy

You can fit a quadlock mount to the back of a phone case if you have an unusual phone or want to use an alternative case. Works really well.

matt_outandabout

Quadlock.

My son flipped his bike coming up short on a big alpine jump – phone was still sat on the bars

tomhoward

Another vote for Quadlock

bens
    Free Member

Another Quadlock user here.

It may well be the best out there but still far from perfect IMO.

Mine lasted ~2 years before the phone started wobbling around and falling off if you weren’t super careful. The (replaceable) lever part had worn really badly. Replaced this and then noticed the quad bit was worn as is the phone case so looking at having to buy another complete set at £50+.

The waterproof cover does a good job of keeping water and mud off the phone but makes the touch screen unuseable when it rains. It also covers the speaker so if your using voice guidance for following a route you can’t hear the directions and can’t unlock the phone to see where you’re going without stopping to take the cover off. I wouldn’t bother paying extra for it to be honest. Phones are pretty water resistant these day anyway. Get a silicone plug to keep the crap out of the charging port though.

I use the out front mount but fitted backwards to mount the phone above the stem. Works OK. The mount looks and feels quite flimsy which is disappointing for the cost of the kit. When it’s new though, it does do a good job of holding the phone. It’s sturdier than it looks.

Rather than replace mine with a new Quadlock, I’ve been looking at the SP connect but haven’t found too many real world accounts of how well it works. I like the fact that it’s all alu though and they do a topcap mount which you can’t get with Quadlock.

nuke

Been using a Decathlon one now for probably a couple of years with various phones and it’s done the job great, never dropped the phone (i rode the course of the megavalanche this summer which i thought might be too much but it stayed put and didn’t droop down ) and very waterproof… particularly for the price:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/900-l-waterproof-bike-smartphone-holder/_/R-p-311609?mc=8555369

Using the screen with gloves is sometimes frustrating but potentially that’s more the gloves as it’s better without. Given this, for the drier months, I’ve bought this one which looks promising (like the solid metal construction) but not used it yet:

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/cycling-smartphone-mount-metal/_/R-p-325682?mc=8587962&c=BLACK

duncancallum

Other option is a top tube bag with a phone window

nuke

Other option is a top tube bag with a phone window

I tried a cheap one of these and it worked fine but i preferred having the phone further forward and higher as with the bar mounted versions….i couldn’t keep my eye on the way ahead in my peripheral version when looking at my phone down on the top tube but that’s just my experience

MarkyG82

IMO a phone on the bars is asking for something to break. Other than on an indoor bike.

chaos

The topeak drybag series are pretty good and fairly ‘universal’ as long as you go for a big enough one, being a ‘drybag’ rather than a specific case.

Weatherproof Ridecase Series | Topeak

touch-screen stuff does mostly work through them but not things like thumbprint recognition. best to just unlock your phone before putting it in there.

Plus you can stick emergency cash / cards behind the phone.

fazzini

I’ve got quad lock too. It’s very good. Bought a spare spigen case for the universal mount, as I have a oneplus phone and they don’t do phone specific cases for them. Its very good. Means I can easily plug phone into Raveman for charging duties on long days out, like last weekend.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

The topeak drybag series are pretty good and fairly ‘universal

Yep. I’ve got this and it’s oretty good unless it rains, at which point the touchscreen doesn’t work.

Still good in general though and has survived a couple of proper crashes

Bazz

After asking a similar question earlier this year i ended up buying one of these, but for stem mounting:

https://www.bonecollection.com/en/products/sport/cycling-handlebar

Been pretty impressed with it so far and will get another for handle bar duties for my bikepacking rig in the spring. The additional strap that holds a power bank is useful as well, means i can attach a power bank under the stem to keep the phone battery topped up.

I probably would have gone with Quad lock but it wasn’t going to work for my phone.

tthew

Excellent, thanks all, there’s a really useful set of options for me to look at there. This is for my dad when he goes on a cycling holiday, so it’s not got to be terribly gnarproof. 👍

nre
    Free Member

I’m using a zefal waterproof case which seems fine, robust mount (twist to engage, press buttons and twist to release) and not too pricey.

chriscubed

Alternative to Quadlick – SP Connect system works well

You can stick the connector to your phone case so meets the universal requirement. Or they sell a specific case for a few phones

I am happy with the stem maount

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.