Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • What's new in bottom brackets?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I am in need of a new HT2 BB, thinking about Hope or CK, anything else to consider?

rickon
    Free Member

I’ve been running an Uberbikecomponents Ceramic BB on both my and my missus bike, it’s been faultless. No noise, no movement, and thats been on for about 10 months now.

http://www.uberbikecomponents.com/view-product/Uberbike-Bottom-Bracket-Ceramic-68-73mm—Blue-Shimano-HT2-Raceface-MTB-Road-Compatible

I’d scrape off the loctite before putting on though, and replacing with anti-sieze, as it’ a bugger otherwise to get on.

I’ve had Hope SS and ceramic, and UBC has actually been quieter on both bikes.

JoeG
    Free Member

Some folks use Shimano ones, as you can often find even XTR ones cheap enough to treat them as disposable.

Slogo
    Free Member

hope and forget.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Some folks use Shimano ones, as you can often find even XTR ones cheap enough to treat them as disposable.

Yep, if you want to strip and remove every few months go for it.
    Or

Slogo – Member
    hope and forget.

The only reason I didn’t move the Hope over from my old bike to the new one was I wanted a gold one…

Northwind

I’ve been gradually moving bikes over to Gusset’s EXT24- gives you better-than-Shimano lifespan even if you just fit and forget (not as good as Hope, but still good). But easily serviced if you can be bothered- giving it a very occasional clean and spot of grease keeps them smooth and quiet much longer. And when they die, the bearings are cheap and off the shelf unlike Hope. Oh and £23, and available in purty colours. Only downer is that spares aren’t available so if you damage a tophat you’re stuck (so, don’t)

No idea how people get through Shimanos in a couple of months tbh, my bikes get used more than most in worse conditions than most but I still get way more than that from XT/SLX. They don’t like overtightening though…

ahwiles
    Free Member

what he ^ said.

the gusset BB is very, very well sealed + shielded*. and used ‘normal’ size bearings**

(*better than my hope BB)

(**unlike my hope BB)

i’ve done 3000km on my ext24, it’s still like new.

No idea how people get through Shimanos in a couple of months tbh, my bikes get used more than most in worse conditions than most but I still get way more than that from XT/SLX. They don’t like overtightening though…

maybe that’s (part of) the problem?

the seals on my shimano BB’s rely on the cranks being pulled together *just so* – if you don’t pull them all the way together, there’s a gap around the seal, and you can see the exposed bearings.

the small plastic clamping widget makes is difficult to over-clamp the cranks, but it also makes it difficult to pull them all-the-way-together, especially if you’re being carefull.

(it’s easy to leave the gap of death)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘What's new in bottom brackets?’ is closed to new replies.