Works Components Wide/Narrow Chainrings.

Home Forum Bike Forum Works Components Wide/Narrow Chainrings.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Works Components Wide/Narrow Chainrings.
  • TimCotic

I read some good reviews and like the colours, but does anyone know their current stock situation? I emailed but haven’t had a reply. I don’t want to do a Paypal transaction only to find I’m waiting around until new stock arrives.

Cheers.

poonprice

I ordered a 32t thick/thin from Works Components on Thursday and it arrived today.

Guess that means stock levels are fine if your a wimp like me and want 32t

bikeneil

Here has some:

Works Components Narrow Wide Chainrings NOW in stock. CNC Machined in house in the UK from 7075 T6 Aluminium. Available in 32, 34, 36t. £35 each.

Posted by Bache Brothers Cycles on Thursday, 31 October 2013

spicer

I got a black 36t last week, they had colours of the 32 and 34 in stock, said it would be 3 weeks until colours of the 36t came in. SO a couple of weeks from now.

spicer

And no dropped chain with a clutch mech on fairly techy terrain after the first ride! (with no chainguide). Happy days!

I think they’re pretty well stocked at the minute.

Some of my thoughts on them. I love it. It’s been great.

http://peterlloydmtb.blogspot.co.uk/2013/10/works-components-and-their-thickthin.html

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

Aye, ridiculously good- I didn’t really believe it’d work tbh.

TimCotic

Fantastic – thanks everyone. Chainring ordered. Yes poon – I am a wimp too. I went for the stealth black which will look good with my black XT crank and clutch mech on my Salsa Ti frame.

BTW. I think I read on WC facebook that they say their anodiser can do dark green but their customers prefer a light green. Personally I love the rich green of the Chris King green headset. Now that would be a cool look. 😀

Premier Icon SimonR
    Subscriber

Just gone for an Absolute Black 30t chain ring with a 64BCD – looked like it should offer a better chainline on my setup. Think they had stock of other sizes too.

st

Sorry for the hijack but does anyone know if these things work well with an 8 speed chain?

TimCotic

Good question. I read that 9, 10, & 11 are all good. The 11 was new one on me but 8 I don’t know about.

To Simon – I must admit I hmmm’d & haa’d over the number of teeth. I was tempted by 30T but in the end I went for the standard 32. I’ll just have to suck it and see whether I can get up the steep bits when I’m tired or there’s too little grip to stand. Where are the 38T cassets from Shimano? LOL

Grum p

And another review incase anyone is on this thread hoping to find a dissenting voice on how amazing the wee/big rings are… http://www.chamonixbikeblog.com/2013/works-components-thickthin-chainring-review-and-1×10-mutterings/

When I ordered mine it advised when the ‘ring would arrive, it arrived on the predicted day.

Premier Icon SimonR
    Subscriber

I think Absolute Black were saying that 9,10 or 11 speed chains would run on their chain rings but you only get the full benefit with 10 or 11.

Tim – I’d have gone for a 28 if they were available 🙂

sssimon

my 1 piece gxp 32t was dispatched yesterday so looking forward to playing with that at the weekend. Have an e13 xcx to fit too but would like to try a type 2 rear mech ideally

I ordered a 32t in orange on Friday & it arrived yesterday. Looks like a lovely bit of kit.

Just waiting on my Superstar guide to arrive then i’ll get it all fitted.

scruff

8 speed much bigger between the plates so perhaps there wouldn’t be enough friction twixt teef and chain to do very much.

TimCotic

Simon I know where you’re coming from with your wish for 28T but I think I’d rather push a few hills than be spinning-out all the time. I think the 11-speed system is beyond the budget of the casual rider (like me) at the moment.

On the 8-speed question: to be honest, I think it’s pretty impressive the chainrings work with 3 different cassette/chain standards. I think it’s asking a bit much to expect narrow/wide chainrings for 8-speed too. Surley the enabling factor of the new single chainring trend is the extra range allowed by 10 and 11 speed cassettes and chains. 8-speed is gonna be far too ‘niche’ for anyone to bother with (apart from some crazy hobby machinist in his garden shed).

Grum p

Deanhempshall: Don’t bother waiting for the guide, just fit the ‘ring and go ride, you’ll be amazed….

TimCotic

Just had an email saying mine has been disatched. I’ve got a clutch mech so I’ll be ready to go. Gonna fit a new chain too.

jackal

Anyone know how well these work (at chain retention) once they’ve started to wear?
    Would they loose their effectiveness at all?

Seriously tempted to go back to 1×10 now 😯

I have done approaching 500 miles on mine know. It’s still fine, apart from a tree crank moment

TimCotic

No problem with order I’m pleased to say. Order Tues with Paypal and arrived today. Can reccommend the purchasing side of things. It’s now fitted and looking very stealthy. Whether or not I’ll be able to get up steep hills is another question though. LOL 😉

matther01

Anyone got RF NW ring and a works one? Ordered a RF from CRC and they have cancelled my order as its not in stock.

Heard the RF anodising rubs off quickly…how does the works compare in thus respect?

Cheers

extremenik

Got a Raceface34t I used for 2 weeks in Alps and a 32t Works. I use in Uk both fine with top chain device and clutch mech never dropped a chain yet.

Raceface one does wear quiker though.

st

Timcotic, maybe it’s not some crazy hobbyist in his shed but someone making some old tat work for a bit?

Looking at some of the above replies are people really riding around with just a 30 or even 28T chainring up front? How do you get on riding down or even along the flat?

Not meaning to sound like a Troll but whilst I appreciate the increased scope of large format cassettes you’ve still only got an 11t (or maybe 10t) smallest sprocket.

Seems like an extreme step just to get the benefits of a single ring.

TimCotic

Calm down ST, I’m merely pointing out that it’s pretty unlikely that a crop different branded 8-speed narrow/wide chainrings is going to appear on the market. I suppose come to think of it, people like Works Components or Hope may do some limited runs if enough peeps request it.

I agree about spinning-out with small chainrings. I’m not planning to use mine for major marathons or sportives. I’m just ‘winter-ising’ my 29er hardtail in the expectation of a lot of muck over the next few months. For the big stuff I’ve got me full-sus with a million gears. 😀

svalgis

How do you get on riding down or even along the flat?

When it’s pointing downwards I pump the trail features and enjoy the ride.

When it’s flat I’m too busy getting over or around rocks and roots to go very fast.

If it’s flat and smooth I simply don’t care about spinning out – as I’ll be bored to death either way I might as well save my breath for the actual trail riding.

Different people ride different trails in different manners and thus likes different setups – pretty cool huh. 🙂

Premier Icon tom200
    Subscriber

I ordered one last Thursday night and it arrived on Monday. I’ve only run it on a single speed setup so not drops likely, I wanted a ring I could run SS and 1×10 with out having to change the front setup. I am currently running a 1/8th” chain with no problem.

Has anyone run one without a clutch mech with any success?

dirtyrider

Looking at some of the above replies are people really riding around with just a 30 or even 28T chainring up front? How do you get on riding down or even along the flat?

ive got a 10t out the back and gigantic wheels

i ordered a 30t SRAM Spider ring, arrived in 3 days despite the website says 15th November

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

st – Member

Some might be on bigger wheels so effectively upgeared. But as long as you can spin, it’s pretty rare to really feel out of gears- you run out of pedal at pretty high speeds and usually there’s other ways to go fast at that point. My dh bike’s highest gear is just 36/11 after all so it’s no great drawback that my hardtail’s is 32/11.

duir

If I convert my 3X10 M985 XTR crank to the works ring and run it in the middle will that work?

Do you need a special chain for this ring or will my Shimano 10 speed XT one work?

Thinking this plus the new add on 42 tooth cog cassette gizmo will be a much more economical way to go 1X10 but still be geared low enough for the big mountains round here.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Works Components Wide/Narrow Chainrings.’ is closed to new replies.