Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Whats more durable than Dmr V8's? looking to buy
  • walla24
    Free Member

This is the second pair iv gone through pretty recently, can you recommend something a bit stronger/more durable?
    cheers

RaveyDavey
    Free Member

V12s 😆

Onzadog
    Free Member

what's gone on yours? the bearings or the body?

mboy
    Free Member

Easton Flatboys

Break em and you deserve a medal!

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Can I have a medal?

Bent the axle on mine and the pedal body dropped off whilst my mate was downhilling on my bike. Another friends easton cullys did the same thing in the alps this year.

Not amazing.

Whereas the V8's on my bmx have lasted nearly 3 years with only one bent axle (which are just the same as the ones you get on really cheap pedals so they are easy to source)

Saying that, V8's arent amazing by any stretch of the imagination

ziggy
    Free Member

Gusset slim jims, get the sealed bearing version(they have stronger cro mo axles than the cheapo ones) can find them for about £25 online in loads of cool colours.

walla24
    Free Member

the bearings, gives a hefty click and has play under pressure.
    so we have
    V12's
    Easton Flatboys
    Gusset Slim jims

any more?

timothecimmerian

Wellgo MG1's. Replaced my V8's with them over 18 months ago. Not had to do anything to them (so far…), lighter too.

Bregante

+1 for slim jims.

or get Wellgo v8 copies for half the price, http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=563 CRC do em for 12 quid from time to time. mine are lasting at least as long as the dmr's

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

slim jims (you might want to get the longer pins)

Superstar nano?

IGMC

walla24
    Free Member

Hmm wellgo do copies of the v12, for £21.99. thats fairly tempting
    Flat boys are a bit pricey,so…
    Slim Jims are winning , anyone else care to cast a vote?

craig1975
    Free Member

[/url]]

Ive got theses bad boys from syncros, Ive had them for over a year, There no good if your a weight weeny, but they are very strong and grippy, but they will kill your shins, Ive rattled them of many rocks which hasn't even dinkt them, seriously strong pedals.

craig1975
    Free Member

MENTAL PEDALS STAINLESS
    woops try again

walla24
    Free Member

wo! they look like monsters. where did you get yours from?

Ben_Haworth

All cheaper pedals will have poor bearings.
    Buy cheap, buy twice.
    Expensive flat pedals are worth the money IME.

mboy
    Free Member

Can I have a medal?

Bent the axle on mine and the pedal body dropped off whilst my mate was downhilling on my bike. Another friends easton cullys did the same thing in the alps this year.

Christ. Fair enough… First broken Easton pedals I've heard of. Not saying you can't break them (obviously you have!), but from my own experience, and that of others I know that use them, they have been totally indestructuble. Mine have been bashed into countless alpine rocks at high speed, and are almost unscathed!

simon_g

DMR V8 Pedal Overhaul (Cup and Cone)

+

http://www.stephenscycles.talktalk.net/bearings.html

+ about half an hour.

Only reason to replace them is if the bearings got so gritty it's worn away at the pedal body itself. Even a bent axle can be replaced for under a fiver.

walla24
    Free Member

thanks simon, will have a go at that, imagined it to be a much more extreme job getting them apart.
    If not it will be slim jims (although syncros if i get my job back)

craig1975
    Free Member

walla24 – i got them from Stiff

walla24
    Free Member

sat down with a beer and followed the guide as posted above by simon,
    an hour of relaxed fettling and now have a pair of silky smooth v8's
    cheers to you sir

CountZero

Was going to say my V8's are still spinning nicely after six years or so of being ridden nearly every day. Don't jump them, but they've hit plenty of rocks and stuff. Just keep pumping grease into them.

chakaping
    Free Member

Wellgo B25s can be had for £30, have sealed bearings, screw-through bolts and are CNC machined not die cast – and mine have held up very well to being smashed into rocks repeatedly.

Link to CRC

walla24
    Free Member

dammit im back shopping again, anyone tried these…?
    Wellgo MG1

ChrisB
    Free Member

Burgtec Penthouse Flats. Got some Snow Camo one's second-hand off eBay for £50 (they cost £145 new):

pinches
    Free Member

i've got black penthouse flats. as above!

Northwind

Someone recommended Wellgo MG1s, they're great pedals but they're cast magnesium, so the cages aren't particularily tough, not really what's needed here I think.

chakaping
    Free Member

Someone recommended Wellgo MG1s, they're great pedals but they're cast magnesium, so the cages aren't particularily tough, not really what's needed here I think.

Agreed, they're weaker than V8s IME.

coogan
    Free Member

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=5199

Got two sets. One over four years old and never been apart. Been great for me.

twohats
    Free Member

unsponsored
    Free Member

Slim jims.

Filled with grease before being put on the bike. Never touched since. Running well for over 2yrs now.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

another +1 for burgtechs,

not lightweight, but possibly the last pedal you will ever buy, got mine in the CRC flood sale 😀

walla24
    Free Member

Slim Jims purchased!
    decided to avoid the ltd edition flourescent colours and go for deep red.
    Thank you for all you input 😀

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Whats more durable than Dmr V8's? looking to buy’ is closed to new replies.