Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What’s holding your thermal blinds on?
  • bob_summers

Sleeping in the van from time to time, but not enough to justify fitting curtains.  It’s a Caravelle (8 windows, tailgate).  So I bought some reflective screens/blinds which keep falling off in the night – especially the rear one with the heater element.  Tried various different suckers, including some limpets which cost 2 bloody quid each, but they still fall off.  Better results if I stick them on the outside of the windows.  Thinking of magnets (blinds might just stretch enough to stick to the bodywork) or sticky clear plastic discs over the heater wires.

How have you done it?

perchypanther
    Free Member

Some small neodymium magnets?

One on the outside of the window and one on the inside of the blind?

johndoh
    Free Member

I have some suction cups that you press down then pivot the hook which gives a much stronger grip – a bit like these ones

Never had one fail on me, and I hook some pretty heavy things off them such as Christmas wreaths on the front door which then gets battered in the winter weather.

Edit – these ones look even stronger

bob_summers

Those locking ones are a tenner each!  Tried the hooks, they drop off in the end.

Thinking of something like these 70mm sticky acrylic discs on Amazon US site, but which is totally clear once stuck on the glass (obviously don’t want white circles on the window!)

thenorthwind

Interesting, I was planning to put a few suction cups into my van curtains (which hang from the roof) to hold them to the windows and keep them out the way a bit more. Why do you think the suction cups don’t work? Is it a temperature thing, or a moisture thing?

jam-bo

got slightly oversized blinds made out of an old blackout curtain with magnets stitched into the seams.

bob_summers

Perchy and Jambo might have it.  Being a van, there’s no plastic trim around the rear windows so magnets’ll do the job.

Why do you think the suction cups don’t work?

Tailgate window must be the heater elements.  That’s the one that drops off first.  The others seem to drop off when it gets cooler at night though I’m guessing really.

Annoyingly there are vans parked around here with suckered-on blinds seemingly permanently attached.  Maybe I’m buying crap suckers..

trail_rat
    Free Member

was gonna say i only have 3 windows but the thermal blinds stay suckered on.

mines were made by a company in italy .

alric
    Free Member

whats wrong with sticky back velcro?

bob_summers

AlanF, I bought some limpets to try  – I bet they’d hold an awning to a caravan in a hurricane but they still fell off my back window!

timidwheeler

We use these. Over 60 nights and no problems.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00ZRF7LIC?psc=1&ref=yo_pop_mb_pd_title

ebygomm
    Free Member

The ikea STUGVIK suction cups should be more than strong enough if you can adapt your blinds to use them – 5.50 for 4

Bunnyhop

As alric said above. Sticky backed velcro, then sew the marrying velcro on the blind. Rip the blind off when not in use, fold away and store.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What’s holding your thermal blinds on?’ is closed to new replies.