Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)
  • What’s good on Prime then?
  • hungrymonkey
    Free Member

Following last week’s amazon prime thread, what’s good to watch on there?

Have done James may stuff, grand tour etc plus the odd film, oh, and a Faroese drama, but there’s got to be more?

Docs, crime drama, war films – any suggestions?

Daffy

Reacher.
    The Expanse.
    The Boys.
    The Death of Stalin.
    Jack Ryan.

EDIT – The Man In The High Castle.

funkmasterp

The above ones plus
    Preacher
    Hell on Wheels
    Last Man on Earth
    Black Sails
    Vikings (first three series then pretend it ends there)

piemonster

Vikings (first three series then pretend it ends there)

Plus one to ending at season 3

MartynS

As said
    Reacher
    Vikings
    The boys

Also see
    Into the badlands
    Hacks
    Bosch

The expanse is terrible…..

johnnystorm

Bosch & Bosch Legacy
    Man in the high castle
    Reacher
    The Shield on Freevee
    Patriot
    Jack Ryan
    Start up
    Godless
    Justified
    The expanse is great…

ampthill

Picard, a Star Trek spin off

Elementary, American Sherlock homes. Well set in the us, female Watson

The Amazing Mrs Maizel, probably very marmite but season 2 and 3 in particular had us in stitches

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

👌👌👌

Few things to crack on with there!

PJM1974
    Free Member

Paper Girls. It’s absolutely brilliant, trust me and go with it.

mattyfez

Good rec’s above, I’ll just add.. if your into this kinda thing,

James May ‘our man in Japan’
    James May ‘our man in Italy’

Eccentric travel documentaries but if you know James may you’ll know what to expect, I found the japan one really interesting 😀

Also

‘Travel man’ – Richard Ayoade takes various comediens on awkward but funny city breaks.

I don’t think they are new but if you like that sort of thing, there’s plenty of episodes.

mattyfez

Oh and ‘the spiders web’. A pretty mind blowing/depressing documentary about british capitalism.

somafunk

Moonfall is worth a watch……. from a distance of at least 30ft, whilst in another room and preferably blindfolded wearing noise cancelling headphones.

chakaping
    Free Member

Did anyone mention The Boys?

Seriously, don’t miss that, it’s the best thing they’ve done.

Man in the high castle is very watchable too.

thols2

Did anyone mention The Boys?

Seriously, don’t miss that, it’s the best thing they’ve done.

If you’re into extremely dark twisted violent superhero stuff. I think it’s probably the most twisted tv show I’ve ever seen.

montgomery
    Free Member

Wayne.
    Invincible.
    Bone tomahawk.
    Arctic.

Set up a watchlist of films you’re interested in, then you can see when they flip from pay-per-view to free-to-view.

kayak23

Wayne

Definitely this.

I quite enjoyed The Walking Dead, until I didn’t.

timb34
    Free Member

If you’re into extremely dark twisted violent superhero stuff. I think it’s probably the most twisted tv show I’ve ever seen.

I’m struggling to get into The Boys, maybe because reading the first comic book (also free on Amazon Prime Reading!) spoilt it a bit.

However, as Funkmasterp mentioned, Preacher is fantastic. Messy, dark, (even more?) twisted, chaotic and fabulous. It’s the only series where I’ve been impatient for the next season to arrive.

American Gods is in the same mold, but I didn’t enjoy it so much (despite Ian McShane being predictably rogue-ish)

I quite enjoyed the first couple of seasons of Bosch, but lost interest

It’s worth checking back every so often too. In my region they’ve just made the first three John Wick films available, so I’m catching up.

thols2

However, as Funkmasterp mentioned, Preacher is fantastic. Messy, dark, (even more?) twisted, chaotic and fabulous

I thought it started well but got lost along the way. Had some extremely funny stuff though.

timb34
    Free Member

First season was really good, second season got a bit vague, but the third season got better and better, and then finished really well. I was really glad they didn’t try to keep on going.

salad_dodger

Wayne is awesome. Reacher is worth watching just to experience terrible acting and a ridiculously simple storyline. It’s awful.

thols2

Reacher is worth watching just to experience terrible acting and a ridiculously simple storyline. It’s awful.

Reacher is preposterously silly, it’s meant to be. I thought it was entertaining because of the silliness. If you’re looking for a prestige drama with believable plots and characters it’s not what you want.

malv173
    Free Member

+1 for The Expense
    Mr Robot (one of the best things I’ve watched in ages, IMO). Thriller/drama about a hacker trying to make the world a better place.

Blackflag
    Free Member

Have seen most of those mentioned above. It has to be said though that the quality of TV shows on Prime is utter pants compared to Netflix.

footflaps

It has to be said though that the quality of TV shows on Prime is utter pants compared to Netflix.

Yep, a few good things but not in the same league.

Plus most stuff you seem to have to pay extra for…

argee

As mentioned above many times, there’s loads of good stuff, depending on your tastes, the expanse is something i watched for years and loved, same with man in the high castle and so on. Bosch is a really good detective drama based on the books, it’s a pretty simple format and works for me. The Boys again is great, same with Preacher, think the one good thing about Amazon back a few years ago was they funded projects and didn’t get involved too much, letting them do their job and not interfering.

They do a few decent new series, slow burners like Outer Range or Night Sky, again they are only one series old and working slowly, but both have stellar casts and interesting plots.

There’s just loads of stuff available on there, i’ve tried others but not really got into them, like the wilds, nine perfect strangers, etc, they will be for a lot of folk, but i just get distracted way too easily and end up binning it for something else.

Cougar

Plus most stuff you seem to have to pay extra for…

Yeah, that irks me no end. Are you a subscription service or a pay-as-you-go service? I’m damned if I’m paying twice over.

Cougar

(I wanted to watch the World Origami Championships, even that was on paper-view…)

schmung
    Free Member

There’s a doc originally broadcast on S4C called 47 Copa available on Prime. It’s about the dragons back race where a bunch iof lunatics run up and down the mountains of Wales for a week. In Cymraeg, but with english subs. Well worth a watch IMO

Safety to Nome is worth a watch as well, it’s about a race on the Idetarod trail.

There’s a fair bit of stuff like that tucked away on prime. The main problem I find is that the search is complete bollocks and the ‘stuff like this’ reccomendations are crap.

timmys

All or Nothing: XXX

If XXX = is a sports team of interest to you. One currently being released weekly is the Arsenal one.

derek_starship
    Free Member

I liked it Cougar.

zilog6128

Have seen most of those mentioned above. It has to be said though that the quality of TV shows on Prime is utter pants compared to Netflix.

Yeah (not that 99% of Netflix stuff isn’t garbage – it is – but it certainly has more good shows). Decent selection of older movies, I guess. Probably wouldn’t bother paying for the telly if it were separate but I very much look on it as a freebie that comes with the delivery service 🤷‍♂️
    Having watched “The Boys” (probably my fave thing on any channel recently) the best thing about Prime for me is you can get Britbox pretty cheap for a few months! Can’t believe I missed Upstart Crow the first time round 🤣

There is that new LOTR thing coming fairly soon I guess, although I fully expect that to be a bit shite!

martinhutch

I wouldn’t pay for Prime just to get the telly, but I tend to get enough value out of the free delivery and the programmes are a bonus. There’s enough good stuff to keep you occupied for a fair few evenings.

(I wanted to watch the World Origami Championships, even that was on paper-view…)

Bet you folded and paid up in the end.

timmys

Possibly worth noting the interface has got a lot less horrible in the update that’s rolling out across devices at the moment. A lot more Netflix-like and finally you don’t have the same thing listed separately as HD & UHD versions (I don’t think). Still has the nasty mix of free / free-with-adverts / paid for content all mixed up together though as far as I can see.

montgomery
    Free Member

There’s not enough good stuff on either to justify long-term subscription. I tend to wait for something I actually want (The Boys, Better Call Saul), dip in to get that, and hoover up anything decent that’s around at the same time (Godless). Cancelled Prime once the Boys finished, and Netflix will stop a week after the BCS finale. Life’s too short to be ploughing through straight-to-video guff.

nicko74

Bosch is a really good detective drama based on the books, it’s a pretty simple format and works for me.

Not only that, it has a couple of the producers from The Wire, and it shows – it’s well-scripted, lean (not too baggy with exposition and filler episodes) etc.

Cougar

Bet you folded and paid up in the end.

I considered it, but the price just increases.

mrdestructo

Prime as an expat:

I can buy family presents and have them delivered easily (celebrations, birthdays, etc)

Prime Video is the only high quality streaming service open in the country i am currently living in (1080-4kUHD) All others require a VPN on which usually means 360-480p video quality, on a 55″ TV.

Subtitles are a pain though. Mostly only English. Netflix has many others. We are expats and nationals here. Not everyone speaks English to a high enough level. Due to work this means hardly ever watching TV on my own. British TV is a culture window.

Im considering Britbox because there are series i want to watch, old series, and I know the quality may be low visually on my TV from that time period (The New Statesman, etc)

gauss1777
    Free Member

There’s not enough good stuff on either to justify long-term subscription. I tend to wait for something I actually want (The Boys, Better Call Saul), dip in to get that, and hoover up anything decent that’s around at the same time (Godless). Cancelled Prime once the Boys finished, and Netflix will stop a week after the BCS finale. Life’s too short to be ploughing through straight-to-video guff

I am taking this approach at the moment, having recently cancelled Netflix.

Currently I’m watching stuff available on Freevee – the free with adverts stuff on Prime. The adverts are far less obtrusive than on ITV!

Currently enjoying Sprung on there. A comedy drama about a group of people in the US released early from prison due to the Covid outbreak.

flannol
    Free Member

The Blacklist

longdog
    Free Member

Cheers for the heads up about Sprung. Enjoying it so far 😁

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 79 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.