Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What’s Goa like?
  • deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Looking for an Easter getaway, with a bit of heat etc. Various circumstances mean we may not get away during the Summer, and if we do, it’ll be in the UK/Ireland somewhere.

So, we’ve got our eye on a few 10-day deals in Goa. I have no clue what it’s like – is it good? We’d be in a “resort” so meh…not my idea of paradise but it may be necessary. Is there other stuff to do apart from pool, bar etc every day?

(One 6yr old animal in tow – so day trips ok, but not sure about anything longer than that…)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I ain’t goin’.

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Ask the Alabama 3…

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Yay, that’s two. 😀

And while that particular track is one of my favourites, I’m aware that today’s Goa is probably a bit removed from that to which Reverend Dr. D. Wayne refers…

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😁

I’ve heard good things. It’s a long old flight though, if all you want/will end up doing is being in a resort.

I’d love to go though, if only for the fish curries!

neilnevill
    Free Member

i was there a loooong while ago now, backpacking. i dont recall much other than gorgeous beaches a bit spoiled by the drug dealers. as an ad.ult it mattered not

chakaping
    Free Member

Beautiful place, but a bit of a culture shock to me when I went (many years ago) at the level of poverty, begging and general filth.

Wouldn’t go back personally, but the old capital with its ruined colonial buildings in the jungle is still one of my most enduring travel memories.

The fish curries were good yeah. One of them gave me Delhi Belly though.

DirtyLyle
    Free Member

Having done bothering numerous times, I would really, really, really recommend Kerala over Goa. Much less touristy (though still quite touristy), much better countryside, more interesting towns, many more things to do, much better beaches. And cleaner.

devash
    Free Member

Full of rich South African and Israeli kids on acid and poor Indian folk begging for scraps.

allthegear
    Free Member

Ask again in a couple of weeks – gotta go out to do a presentation end of month.

Rachel

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

In reality youv’e missed the boat as far as ‘original’ Goa goes, however……
    Wev’e been 5 times, the last time being in 2015 & wouldv’e been again if Mrs Egf hadn’t been ill (nowt to do with Goa). 2 friends of ours are there now & have been there since early November, due to come back in March. It’s gonna get hot & very humid by Easter, probably rainy & the beach shacks will be closing. The beach shacks ARE Goa.

is being in a resort.

It’s not a resort, as in Benidorm/Blackpool. Obviously most of Goa is geared up for tourism but not as modernised as those. The locals are very friendly but (obviously) need to make a living so are quite pushy for you money. Do not let that put you off! Once you have shown your mettle they just say hello & become none/less bothersome, wer’e actually very friendly with a jeweller that wev’e bought nothing from & just call in for a cuppa.
    There’s plenty of trips both inland & at sea to keep you going as well as with a youngster but my advice is that if you want to go anywhere, find a taxi driver you get on with & he’ll sort you out for next to nothing.
    PM me for any particular details & I’ll try & help.

Hopefully we’ll be back in 2020 between November & February.

Goa 2011 152
    My fave bar.
    Derelict house complete with livestock.
    Goan fishing boat & nets

Full of rich South African and Israeli kids on acid and poor Indian folk begging for scraps.

Dunno which part you were in. We saw the odd beggar (who apparently come in from other provinces to do just that) but they weren’t as noticeable as some in Leeds, for instance.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

20 Years ago my parents loved it, so much that they retired there and bought a house up North. They mixed with their Goan neighbours having some great meals and made lots of local friends, as that is their nature. They sold up and moved on when it suddenly became very popular with new wealth Russians. I’m blessed with old age parents (on one side) that are not bigoted or racist, but they found the incoming Russians pretty unpleasant towards the locals and didn’t want to stick around. 1st world problem when you can just sell up and walk away, but Goa might be still full of arrogant unpleasant Russians on hols.

RustySpanner

Less convenient than Velcro but more secure than laces.
    Ugly though.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What’s Goa like?’ is closed to new replies.