Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • What wider rim help ?
  • Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Need to put a wider rim on my front wheel and long story short, I have a glut of DT Swiss ultralight spokes ( in loft so dont know actual lengths currently) . They were used to build a wheel using my Phil Wood hub and Mavic M719 rim 32H 29er. So, I know its the wrong way round as you buy rim and hub them use a calculator to work out spoke lengths. Need a rim for a 2.3 to 2.5 front tyre, so around 30 mm width ? But can anyone help on internal rim diameters to know what rim I can swop out with the original spoke lengths? I do have a spare 70 odd spokes as well, hence the ‘slight dilemma’. If push goes to shove I will buy new spokes ,if anyone can recommend a lightish XC rim , as question is a bit moon sticky. Cheers for the help on an odd one tonight 🙂

ianpv
    Free Member

If you’re putting the rim on to the same hub, just match the ERD as closely as possible. TBH I’d use the spokes again too and just do a rim swap if you can find one (Roger Musson says it’s ok, and that’s good enough for me)

MrTricky
    Free Member

‘Freespoke’ is a good source of rim erd values

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Thanks for your help. The Freespoke website was great, except I got wrong info on the erd as they listed the 26 inch dia . Found it at 602mm not 539mm they state . Seems 29er wheels are about 600mm ish, so with an inner width of 25mm ext 30mm , I have 3 options of 2 x DT swiss rims (E512 and EX471) and a Raceface Arc Offset 25, if their numbers are good . So seems I might go for a DT rim, mainly because the Raceface seems to have a offset ( its in the name) and the wheel built with Phil Wood hubs is square with same spoke length (IIRC) within 1 mm anyway from when I built it.
    I did see Wiggle had a cheap WTB for not a lot £16 !, and I thought , get that as massively reduced and just buy more spokes, but I am struggling for info to find spoke lengths on the spoke calculator website as dont list the rim.
    https://www.wiggle.co.uk/wtb-st-light-tcs-20-oem-rim?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘What wider rim help ?’ is closed to new replies.