Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • What was that IKEA mattress that STW raved about?
  • zippykona

We need a new double for our spare room.

Caher

I bought a Hovag mattress a few years ago and it’s still good and I stay in a lot of hotels to compare.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Hovag, bloody awesome.

airvent
    Free Member

Hövag it’s awesome. I went for firm and its supportive but still plush.

nickjb
    Free Member

Are they still weird sizes?

jeffl

No you can get UK sizes now

simon_g

Have a couple of Hovag too for kids and spare room. I’ve spent a few nights on them and they seemed really good.

All standard sizes now (weird metric sizes still available but apparently sells little in the UK now) and they come vacuum packed and rolled up so should fit in most cars.

fooman

I bought one for my son because it is pocket sprung, had it delivered suprised it arrived rolled up but seems very supportive.

franksinatra

Bookmarked, thanks

MrSmith
    Free Member

I slept on one in an AirBnB, was comfortable enough for me to lift the sheets and find out what one it was.
    My partner is having an Otty hybrid delivered for her place on Monday but if it’s too hot like a straight memory foam mattress I’ll get a Hovag (currently on the cheapest ikea one but it’s 5 years old now)

andrewreay

I have a Hovag and well impressed. In fact, the best mattress I’ve had.

Mine is ‘weird’ Euro size, and just wish they’d had Imperial sizes when I got mine.

Anyway, it’s comfortable enough for me not to be bothered about a few cm of overhang.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

lots of Ikea had or have ‘best buys’ in Which. Hovag (pocket sprung) Hesseng and Morgedal (foam) definitely used to have best buy labels and were cheap by comparison to the other best buys. There are also others now that Which consider good (Hamarvik, Hidrasund, malfors etc), so I’d go to ikea and have a test.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

any good for us folk with knackered backs?

granny_ring

Following.

edhornby

We have the memory foam one, I was very sceptical but I have no problems sleeping on it. Would recommend.

ampthill

We have a Hesseng. Seems to be discontinued. A brilliant matress. Seemed to help my back massively

Ikea seem to have a reasonable retirns on mattresses as well. Certainly better than Dreams from memory

winrya
    Free Member

This post spiked my interest as I’d been close to ordering one of those Emma mattresses. Happened to pass ikea today so popped in to try out the Hovag. Both firm and medium firm felt superb so picked up a king size in medium firm. Stopped in Egypt this summer and the firm mattress there crippled me so figured id prefer a little softer. Impressive how its rolled up and at £229 seems a bargain

FuzzyWuzzy

The Which? ratings are:

Hamarvik (£120) 74%

Malfors (£100) 72%

Hidrasund (£649) 71%

Hovag (£180) 70%

No clue if those prices are still correct (or what size they tested)

Bunnyhop

Silly question, but how do you dispose of the old mattress?

(not in the nearest farmers field I hope) wink.

kilo

pay ikea twenty quid to take it away

stever
    Free Member

@Bunnyhop – Do you know any climbers with home walls in their garage/cellar?

Bunnyhop

stever – that is such a good idea.

Although I think if anyone landed on our (guest mattress) it would disintegrate, as its 32 years old.

maccruiskeen

Do you know any climbers that you don’t like that much? 🙂

drewd

We bought the Hovag last January and still get on with it.

(not in the nearest farmers field I hope) wink.

I used a couple of ratchet straps to fold it in half, then took it to the local tip. It fitted in a 2 door coupe this way so should fit in most family hatchbacks with the seats folded I’d expect. That was a double though, not sure how well a king size would fit.

FuzzyWuzzy

If you can’t give it away or get it to the local tip yourself then I thought most local councils offers a large item collection service? That said it’s £27.60 from my council (although that covers up to 3 items so try and split it with a neighbour if they have something that needs disposing of to). Also if you don’t go to your local tip often/at all many now require you pre-register your car reg on their (council) web-site (along with your address I guess to prove you’re a resident), you can’t just rock up out of the blue.

bigjim

I bought a Hovag and found it very uncomfortable, I have a bad back and I think it was too firm. Or too soft, I’m not sure.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Bigjim, used to be indecisive, now he’s not so sure…🤔🤣

zippykona

Slept on the mattress last night and it’s easily as comfy as the very expensive one on our bed.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘What was that IKEA mattress that STW raved about?’ is closed to new replies.