Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What VDSL router?
  • ratherbeintobago

On FTTC, and have a slightly bodgy setup involving a Draytek 2670 and a Netgear WAC120 access point. The 2760 is now out of support and so it’s time to ask the panel for recommendations.

I’d like something that has regular security updates, and things like VLAN tagging seem attractive to stop some devices which only need to access the outside world from seeing anything else.

Happy to continue with the current setup of non-WiFi router and access point or go with an AC wireless router.

Superficial
    Free Member

I spent a few hours last night failing to set up my new Edgerouter X and Ubiquiti wireless AP with my old OpenReach modem. So don’t do that.

ratherbeintobago

I’ll try not to.

Asus DSL-RT68U any good?

chewkw
    Free Member

Fritz!Box.

Any model according to your budget.

Fritz box

Cheapest is 7530 … I think.

Get it from Amazon.

Sandwich

Another Draytek? You all ready know your way around the interface.

Alternatively Vigor 130 modem and a router of your choosing. The Synology one is rather good.

ratherbeintobago

Aye, obvious option is 2672 and then replace the access point at some point in the future. I think the 2672 does tagging; next one up is the 2872 which would be overkill (though I’m aware this is STW)

uniqueusername

I went ubiquiti USG, access point, and switch earlier in the year. Took a bit longer to setup than I’d expected, seemed a bit unstable for the first week, I unplugged everything and plugged back in just the essentials and it’s been solid since. Still need to plug everything else back in, but I want to do it one thing per week and keep putting it off.
    But
    They just made a firmware update that makes them all phone home with a whole bunch of data, supposedly anonymous and supposedly for making things more stable for all. But it has not been received well at all so they have come out and offered an opt out toggle to come at some time in the future.
    😕

ratherbeintobago

Don’t need mesh, tbh.

Thinking laterally is VDSL modem plus DD-WRT router too much like hard work?

ratherbeintobago

Bump for the weekday crowd

Flaperon

I’m still using the cheap but effective Openreach modem I bought from eBay 10 years ago. Rock solid sync at 80/20 and has been rebooted about 3 times in that period, one of which was a power cut and the others were house moves.

You can connect anything you want to it, though Sky does take a bit of effort. I use a Tenda mesh system with mine and it’s foolproof.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What VDSL router?’ is closed to new replies.