Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • What used short travel 29er for £1500?
  • jayx2a
    Free Member

What would you be looking at? I currently have a trek fuel and was looking out for a bigger frame of the same bike but considering other options.

Been searching Pinkbike/eBay for what is local but not sure what’s decent for that type of money as all the FS have been Trek!

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I think Bird do a 120mm full sus. Probably about that price second hand.
    Or a Sonder?

But if you’re not fussy about what you get (95% of bikes are excellent these days) you could get a new one at that price if you search clearance stores (try distributors like Silverfish as well as shops)

coconut
    Free Member

Giant Anthem 29er, such a all round capable bike and soo much fun to ride.

B@rney
    Free Member

I’d take a look at my Spesh Epic listed on eBay.

Whydot

Transition Smuggler. One of the earlier generations.

Was in a similar position recently and that’s what I’ve ended up with.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

Giant Anthem 29er, such a all round capable bike and soo much fun to ride.

If you do follow this advice, and are slightly flexible on budget, I have a 2018 Anthem Advanced in Large for sale in Manchester. New RRP was £3400 if I recall. Carbon mainfram, carbon rims, SLX, SIDs. Very light, very very swift.
    Probably only done about 200 miles in total so in very good condition.

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/gb/anthem-advanced-29er-1-2018
    cheers

Rus
    Free Member

I have a nice hammerhead thumper size l if your interested. 150 front and 130 rear. Perhaps mid travel

wzzzz
    Free Member

I was in the same position last June and got a Marin B17 3 2018 ex demo for less than your budget rrp 2800, I swapped to 29er and love it. Its the same frame as a rift zone just came 275+, have a read of the reviews.

I would wait for demo season to end! My bike was like new really.

Look out for a top spec 2019/20 rift zone. Mine has super deluxe, pikes and GX eagle.

thewilllinton
    Free Member

There is also a spec epic in the classified for your budget.

(sneaky add, sorry!)

chakaping
    Free Member

You should be able to get a stage 5 for that kind of money.

It’s 135mm rear travel but rides like less.

Or a stage 4 if you want genuinely short travel.

chrishc777
    Free Member

Another vote for a TR Smuggler. I picked up my 2018 SBG one for £1600 last year, build wasn’t amazing but I’ve slowly upgraded it to better stuff. Also wasn’t a fan of the paintjob but it’s currently away for a respray

So mine is probably not a £1500 bike anymore but it was perfectly rideable when I bought it

singletrackmind

More info needed really
    What model Fuel have you got now, Medium / Large XT / SLX etc. Travel now- Travel Req’d
    And what do you want the new ike to do ? Enduro , XC , Canal tow apths ? Its all abit vague , abit like saying I have a Ford Focus , and want a newer car , what other cars are out there ?

Is the budget fixed or flexable say 10% or 20% , Would you want secondhand , or New , Carbon or ally? What size wheels, If you have a load of 29er tyres and maybe some spare rims then stay 29er
    I am trying to not be a bellend , well maybe I am . There are hundreds of bikes out there ,and the wealth of knowledge on here is scary.

EG . My current ride is Medium 100mm Full Suss Trek , but even with a 100mm stem it feels cramped so would like to change to a L frame. I mainly ride Trail centers with the odd evans distance event . Would like a carbon mainframe , similar travel , 1x gearing and another 29er. Any recomendations of used bikes i should be looking at in the £1000 – £1234 price range

jayx2a
    Free Member

To the above

Current Trek Fuel 18.5 ex8 29
    Light trails (Friston Forest)
    Longer rides over South Downs 30-40 miles ish
    Budget is max 1500 no more
    Short travel. 140 max.
    1 x 11 or 12
    Stealth dropper compatible
    alloy is fine
    As per title – 29er

jayx2a
    Free Member

To be honest I probably would not rule out another 650b. My last Fuel was an odd ex9 650b.

bowglie

My OH recently bought a new Giant Trance 29 to replace her stolen Cotic. The Giant was in a last year’s model sale for just over £1600.  Fairly boggo spec (but still a pound or so lighter than her nice spec £4K Cotic. The Giant is fantastic for trail centre reds and longer days on natural trails.  Only 115mm rear, 130mm front travel, but quite progressive geometry – certainly feels different (in a good way) to my 2019 Fuel EX that also got pinched.

If you could pick up a Trance 29 2 second hand you might get it well within budget – bit of money left over for some upgrades(?).

tomhoward

I know it’s a bit over budget, and doesn’t have any wheels, but can supply everything else, and am flexible on the price, if you are really interested.

https://m.pinkbike.com/buysell/2700167/

Dm me if you want to discuss

chakaping
    Free Member

Whyte T129 might be worth a look?

jayx2a
    Free Member

Will have a look at the giant and smuggler. The pivot looks nice but I need to be at max £1500 for a full build.

breadcrumb

You could pick up a nice T129 for that money. I run mine 140mm up front and think it’s a good all-rounder.

widge34
    Free Member

Sonder Cortex

Sonder Cortex

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘What used short travel 29er for £1500?’ is closed to new replies.