Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What unramped steel 36t chainring? (and advice on going 1X9)
  • getonyourbike
    Free Member

I need one for my hardtail. I’ve currently got a 2×9 setup with a blackspire stinger but I want to go 1×9 and I’ll use the limit stops on my front mech as a top guide.

So, will using my front mech as a top guide work?

And what chainring?

Cheers

cp

I’ve ramped 36t deore steel rings with a mech as the guide without any issue.

widge34
    Free Member

Depends on how much you want to spend, but I’m running a 1×9 and use a 34t Renthal front ring. Lovely a light,but strong, and I use a Superstar plasma chain device. Can’t see why you couldn’t use your front mech though.

ruscle
    Free Member

Middleburn chainring is your best bet.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Cheap and steel is the priority as it does about 100 miles a week of off road commuting, aswell as occasionally taking it out instead of my full sus.

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

I think On One stainless SS chain rings are £20 at the mo. I just got a 34T. Its very pretty.

takisawa2

Deore steel ring & superstarcomponents xcr guide.
    Surly stainless rings last well.

onandon
    Free Member

Renthal rings are very good. A little more expensive but well worth it.

getonyourbike
    Free Member

I was thinknig of the one one rings but they don’t do a 36t 🙁

FarmersChoice
    Free Member

Your right, I just checked. Smaller cassette?

getonyourbike
    Free Member

Any other ideas? The Surly is quite expensive, the Deore is ramped so it won’t hold the chain so well, the Renthal is aluminum so wears quicker and is expensive and the On One doesn’t come in the size I need. 🙁

Hadge
    Free Member

We make loads of rings at BETD Goldtec so check us out at our site.

cp

I’ve NEVER had the chain fall off my ramped deore & front mech guide except for stupid things like falling off/crashing.

PiknMix
    Free Member

Never had a problem on my salsa ring.

Cheap as chips

chiefgrooveguru

I’m using a ramped Deore chainring, bashring and N-Gear Jump Stop. Hasn’t fallen off yet!

reggiegasket
    Free Member

On One ring and a SS guide here. The ‘ring is pretty heavy but shiny and v. tough. I’d advise lower than 36. You won’t miss the high gears and 36 will be tough going on steep/windy/boggy climbs.

undapressure
    Free Member

E13 guide ring, and it come in lots of pretty colours 🙂

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What unramped steel 36t chainring? (and advice on going 1X9)’ is closed to new replies.