Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)
  • Cotic Rocket… pricing
  • honourablegeorge

Not bad…

£1,350 – Fox Float RL
    £1,400 – Marzocchi Roco Air LO
    £1,475 – Fox RP23 Kashima
    £1,580 – BOS Vip’r Custom Tune

Naranjada
    Free Member

I think that the pricing should have waited until after Cotic had a finished, production frame and some professional marketing images.

The only photo of the droplink on Cotic’s website shows what to me looks like an unfinished prototype, something only an engineer, or its mother/father, could love. Maybe that’s intentional but I suspect not, Cotic’s products are usually clean looking & aesthetically pleasing.

sambob
    Free Member

Sounds good to me.

munrobiker
    Free Member

Just about the same as an Orange Five is that.

saladdodger
    Free Member

sorry I dissagree that er bloody expensive I like my cotic’s but na no way I cannot justify that price

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Yeh, pretty costly. I think it would have been better off being made from standard 4130 and less than £1000.

Northwind

Seems about the going rate for a quality full suss? Sure, you can get a Heckler (with a cheaper shock) or a Mega or similiar for less but comparing like for like I don’t see that it’s either expensive or cheap. And not much more than the Hemlock was either surely?

I won’t be buying one I think- Hemlock suits me very nicely thanks, the changes on the new bike take it away from what I love about my blunt axe.

Stevelol
    Free Member

Expensive if you ask me, especially when you can get a new Covert with kashima rp23 for cheaper than the cheapest there, which is cleary the best bike in the world.

bigdan6
    Free Member

where did you find the pricing?

Northwind

Pricing is on Cotic’s facebook btw

Stevelol – Member

Expensive if you ask me, especially sheen you can get a new Covert with kashima rp23 for cheaper than the cheapest there,

They’re £1400 everywhere I look 😕 Found a 2011 one (without kashima) for £1200 but you can’t really compare RRP with discounted rates.

DanW
    Free Member

It will have to be bloomin’ amazing for that money! I would have expected it to be cheaper also

souldrummer
    Free Member

When you compare it to the price of the old Hemlock the basic price doesn’t seem too bad. If you choose a more expensive rear shock then the price goes up. Does not the same happen with other manufacturers?

M6TTF
    Free Member

Be interested to see the final product and see what sort of weight it builds up as

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Everyone must have made a mistake – you’re expecting bargain basement prices from Cotic? Last time I checked they weren’t Apollo?

toons
    Free Member

It’s a lot for a steel frame made in China

topangarider
    Free Member

All meaningless without pictures of the production model. Not sure the ‘marketing hype’ has been managed that well on this. I get the drip feeding, but would expect to see pics before prices.

Clink

I don’t know much about this, but why should a steel frame be cheaper? Surely to get steel frame to a reasonable weight is harder than with aluminium?

sambob
    Free Member

Cotic aren’t On-One, no one seems to complain about the Soul being £500, that’s a lot for a hardtail. They also seem to be one of the most common bikes on here. If i was in the market for a new FS frame for about £1400 then a Rocket would be very high on my list. They’re designed here and Cotic are built up and tested near me, customer service always seems to be superb too.

chiefgrooveguru

If it’s as good a full-sus as the Soul is a hardtail then it’ll be great value at that price!

saladdodger
    Free Member

Sambob

I agree with your comments and yes my Soul at £500 is alot more than my old 456 and worth it
    But £1400 is pushing towards a months pay for alot of folk and tbh I cannot buy one and pay my mortgage in the same month

sambob
    Free Member

I’d love to try one when they arrive, looks like it could be (another) the perfect bike for me. I have too many perfect bikes…

Rik
    Free Member

And people complain on here (regularly) about Orange frames being expensive……

That price seems okay but then so does the price of a Five!

honourablegeorge

saladdodger – Member

But £1400 is pushing towards a months pay for alot of folk and tbh I cannot buy one and pay my mortgage in the same month

“I never liked that house very much anyway…..”

MTB-Rob
    Free Member

I think it not bad price, even when you look at the price of shocks, BOS Vip’r cost £479RRP not sure if that is custom tune thou.

Also when you think of the price of every has gone up, raw material, shipping etc and Cy is not cutting corners by specing lower spec tubing to try and keep the cost down as Cotic is all about the ride/feel/fun etc.
    Also small-ish production runs do not help with lowering the cost.

amphibian
    Free Member

Seems pricey to me for what it appears to be. Always thought that the Orange Five was expensive too but at least it’s actually made in the UK.

thepodge
    Free Member

the cost of uk labour has dropped and the cost of some foreign labour has risen.

I think the rocket price is fair but at the upper range. its also not too different to what everyone was guessing

AlexSimon

A bit dearer than I was expecting.
    I was thinking about £1299 for the Kashima RP23.

But looking around, it seems a lot of frames have gone up in price for 2012 so I can see why these prices have been chosen.

Anyway – it probably wont matter for many if it rides really well.

Personally, it seems a bit close to 5-spot/mojo/sb66/tracer/mach5/etc money. But I’ll still be looking out for it in 18bikes.

ojom
    Free Member

it seems a bit close to 5-spot/mojo/sb66/tracer/mach5/etc money

I am interested (non confrontationally obviously) as to why you think it wouldn’t/shouldn’t be without even seeing it or riding it. It may be as good as and it is actually a heap cheaper too.

Frames aren’t going to be getting any cheaper and as the manufacturing countries workers earn more, and quite right too, then they will keep going up.

We reckon it might be a bit special based on Cotic’s other bikes. Plus, you will retain a lot on the used market in the future as evidenced by other Cotic bikes. Percentage wise probably more than the other frames mentioned. This makes it even cheaper 😀

AlexSimon

I just meant that it’s not a ‘no-brainer’. Full build cost will be around the same sort of area as those other bikes mentioned.

Some of them (well only two on my list) are made in the companies own country too, which matters to some (I respect manufacturers who do this as it’s the harder route).

The other point is that most people think those mentioned are overpriced.

The soul is more of a no-brainer because if you want an 853 hardtail, there are very few about. It’s half the price of a UK or US made one and the weight is as good as any. Once you start looking, it’s hard to see a viable alternative.

Of course, we only know the price and a few photos so far, but as that’s the way Si has chosen to do it, it’s inevitable that we’ll be drawing conclusions.

Just to contradict myself yet again, my wife’s business advisor said that you should charge the highest price that the market will stand. I’m pretty sure that’s what this price is. I think it’ll sell as long as it’s good.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

are there any pics of this thing, other than a fuzzy one in the background?

AlexSimon

Just the one here afaik:
    http://www.cotic.co.uk/geek/droplink

ahwiles
    Free Member

and don’t forget that picture’s of the the full-steel prototype.

(i can tell that the white bit’s steel aswell because i’ve got special eyes…)

the finished version will (probably) look less ‘diy’…

But i think the one above looks ace – i’m bored of the modern ‘hydroformed-for-the-sake-of-it’ look.

tomlevell

Ditto what ahwiles says.

Clearly you don’t want that metal bit sticking out of the stay at about calf height but it’s a prototype.

As for the price it seems competitive to me especially when you consider the cost/weight/travel of say the US boutique brands. Plus you get a special shock (assuming it is actually better which most reviews suggest it is) for the top price.

I’m more interested in a bit shorter travel version which by the sounds of things are in the works for the future.

That and I have no money for such things at the present time so I’ll stick with my Hemlock for now.

Tom (Cotic Fanboy)

AlexSimon

ahwiles – I thought the only part going to be aluminium was the droplink itself?
    Rear triangle of steel is how I read it.

hora
    Free Member

After what happened to the previous full suss I don’t think I’d pay those prices.

I’m quite vocal about the pricing on the ‘Five’ but at least its established/proven. Weren’t the old Cotic full suss frames knocked out at a reduced price at the end?

Sorry, this isn’t a dig at you Cy. I just think £1,300 is alot of money and thats asking customers to have a leap of faith for that price point.

Why not introduce a single pivot/simple frame at a lower price point as the start of a full suss range builder?

A low-slung, lightweight alu frame with single pivot (weight clump around the BB area for stability) would win alot of fans.

jameso

Where did that bit of info come from? It’s made in pretty much the most capable, high quality factory I know of in Taiwan.

TBH I’d be more likely to pay that kind of £ for an 853 framed FS bike that’s competitive on weight, I’d be a lot more confident in it outlasting the shock than some alu frames. I like it, it’s a sound design and I’d trust it.

5-spot/mojo/sb66/tracer/mach5

Can’t see what they offer over the Rocket really, unles you just don’t like SP bikes. I like them, especially ones that have factored in the brake responses well, which Cotic suggest they have done.

hora
    Free Member

I like it, it’s a sound design and I’d trust it.

How do you ‘know’ it?? Surely if you work for Cotic (I don’t know if you do or don’t? but your comments read that way??) then your opinion is biased.

Talking of steel full sussers- anyone remember KeeWee bikes full sus frames in steel??

wors

i don’t think the prices are too bad. Would love to have a bash on one.

honourablegeorge

It’s priced in line with a Transition Covert, same travel, and I suspect similar weight. Don’t see why it should be cheaper, if anything, the 853 would drive price up.

thepodge
    Free Member

Hora, jameso is a designer, though not for Cotic but I believe he uses the same factory.

there is little point in introducing a lower spec / price frame just to build a reputation, it’s wasted time and money.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Cotic Rocket… pricing’ is closed to new replies.