Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • What tyres (for me motorbike)
  • anagallis_arvensis

BMW F650, currently has Metzler Tourance. As a novice I'm thinking replace with road only tyres, thinking Avon Roadriders. Any opinions appreciated.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Avon Distanzia are my preference.

anagallis_arvensis

5th, can you explain? I dont intend to ride off road so why use a semi offroad tyre? Do you have a similar bike?

robgarrioch

XRV.ORG Forum's a mine of info for trail-type bikes, I've been on it for a couple of years & they're very helpful.
    Here's a related thread, for example.
    I've got no problem with tourances, very light off-roading (fire roads etc.) only, & my Africa Twin's 'performance' aint anough to worry them! You not planning any sort of off-road?

5thElefant
    Free Member

I did have a similar bike. They're not a knobbly by any means. There was a tyre test in Bike a couple of years back. The Distanzia lapped the fastest of the 'off-road' tyres and was right up there with the fastest road tyre.

They're stable, forgiving and wear well.

There may be better options on the market but I'd get another set of Distanzia if I still had a dualsport.

singlecrack
    Free Member

Have a look at these . http://www.maxxis.co.uk/catalog/Motorcycle-Tyres,62.aspx
    I have some on my aprilia Mille they are bloody good and cheep too

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

AA – a lot of these tyres are really road tyres made to look like offroad ones. Its the compound and carcass construction that is more important then the tread pattern.

If the tyres you had worked fine and wore well then why not continue with them?

I don't think any of the major manufacturers make bad tyres any more.

5thElefant
    Free Member

I don't think any of the major manufacturers make bad tyres any more.

True, but tyres completely change the character of a bike. They can easily turn a good bike into a shit one and vice versa.

robgarrioch

Here's a link I've just stumbled on that may be of use, A_A;
    http://faq.f650.com/FAQs/TireOpinionsFAQ.htm
    I remember Bridgestone BT-45s being talked up somewhere, as a 'road-only' tyre, & coming in larger trailey sizes.

birky
    Free Member

Happy with Tourances here (on 1150GS). Grippy enough and great mileage.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘What tyres (for me motorbike)’ is closed to new replies.