Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What tyres for making progress in my boxter
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

Needing some new rear tyres for my 986 boxster s. I’m not going to be taking them anywhere near the limit of the car, forum members will be glad to know I’m a careful driver.

That said I’ve got some cheapo rubbish on the back currently and they have no place on the car. Front tyres are mid range jobbies from Avon. Not ideal but I’m reluctant to replace them at them moment given they only have about 3k on them, and I’ve never had an issue with them. That said I’d probably replace them at the end of the summer.

At the moment however just looking at rear tyres  Obviously answer is probably zeros or a pilot sport 4 however they are top of the range tyres and I would be a million miles from needing the level of grip they provide. As such I’m looking more mid range and would rather keep the cost under 140 a corner. Falken 452s appear to no longer be made and the goodyear eagle does not get great reviews

Now before anyone comes out with the obvious ‘tyres are the only thing that keep you in contact with the roads’ I understand that.. However at same time the only time I ever drive the car hard is in a straight line and in the dry.. I’ve not managed to crash on the worn down budget tyres I have at the moment so I’m sure a midrange option will be suitable

scaredypants

AO48 – or 32 if you’re using it in snow

[oppo]_[/oppo]

Bullet

Bridgestone Adrenaline RE002 – if they do them in the size you need?

CountZero

One of the blokes I work with has a Boxter, he also used to race cars, ran a race team, and now does Supercar Experience days at Castle Combe, Thruxton and a couple of other circuits, so his input should carry some weight; I’ll drop him a message and ask him, or else I’ll ask him when I see him Monday morning.

dannybgoode

Uniroyal RainSport 3 are an excellent tyre. Very grippy in the wet and perform well in the dry as well.

Had them on my Type R and would have happily replaced them with the same.

jamesoz

It depends on the miles you do. I had to ditch fine looking expensive tyres on my 944 as it lost traction with any hint of turbo boost. The tyres had gone off.

It was worlds better with new toyo t1rs, a cheaper tyre but new.

mattyfez

I really rate toyo t1, continental sport contact 5 is another option but they are more premium price.

andyl
    Free Member

I found Toyos to be very soft and wore down quick, same for Falkens. My money would be on Pirelli P Zeros, Michelin Pilot Sports or Goodyears. Next I would be looking at Khumo and Bridgestone, Uniroyal and maybe the new Dunlops and Avons. Nokian tyres also very good and you might be wise opting for a nokian all year tyre if you dont hoon it around in summer just to make it better behaved in poor weather. Wish I could switch from P Zeros to get better winter performance but 265-35-18 is a bugger of a size.

CountZero

Just had a message back from my colleague, and he says either Pirelli PZero, or there’s a Bridgestone that Carlimits use that’s marginally cheaper than the PZero but he can’t remember the model/species/ whatever.

mattyfez

Boxter isn’t a proper sports car to be fair.

Just stick some £50 arrow speeds from quickfit on it.

😀

wiggles
    Free Member

I use veredstein ultrac sessantas on my slightly-less-powerfull-but-same-weight-as-a-boxters-s RWD “sports car” think they changed the name of the newer version but good tyres for around £120ish

tpbiker
    Free Member

Thanks folks. P zeros seem to have gone up quite a bit in price and the toyo tr1 isn’t that cheap from what I can see. Probably going to go with goodyear eagle f1 asymmetric 3.. 140 quid a tyre which is just about bearable for what appears to fall under the ‘premium tyre’ banner.

frankconway

I don’t have a sports car; mine’s a mere E estate luxo barge and I run P Zeros.

I like them – great combination of quiet running, grip, wear, reliability and price. They’re not ‘cheap’ but you get what you pay for .

HTH – but I don’t think it will.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What tyres for making progress in my boxter’ is closed to new replies.