Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What to replace sky with?
  • z1ppy

We currently don’t watch terrestrial TV, except via iplayer, and only tend to watch series we’ve recorded on Sky (nothing live).
    Obviously Netflicks or Amazon prime are the main options, but I can’t actually find any listings for their content.

We’re after all those crappy but not to grim crime series, the more intelligent American TV show (eg. like the good wife) and some comedy.. where do we go, back to Sky via Now TV or Netflix/Prime?

I have no issue with the ‘dodgier’ options, but the g/f won’t be interested in trying 10 files to find one that’s watchable, she wants sky but without the sky prices or having to fight every year to get a reasonable rate. Any other thought on ‘boxes’ (android tv?) we could run along side a service to get those ‘free’ options?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

You can google for the Amazon and Netflix listings but it takes about 10 mins to join and scan through. I did it and I do about 3 months on/off on Netflix depending on when they launch things.

Alcopop
    Free Member

Spent too many years with Sky and the kids seldom watch TV these days(ipads phones etc) so cancelled it and got an Amazon firestick guy at work loaded Kodi onto it and it has loads never had any issues so far plenty on there Im currently catching up on Homeland,Blacklist and started on Wayward pines all the sports channels ,films even a workout channel i’ll be dodgy and fit !!

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Go Amazon Prime with BT broadband/phone to get a very decent cashback eg. ~£170 today plus a £125 voucher, via Topcashback

5thElefant
    Free Member

Amazon and Netflix are both available for free trial for a month. The firestick or firebox will show both and are cheap.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Google m8s box

robbo1234biking

We are the same and are going to switch to now tv entertainment pack when current sky subscription ends. Can watch all the latest sky series through that for only £6.99 a month. Movies is only £10 a month so we will do that about once a quarter and catch up with some films that we haven’t seen. I can’t understand why sky is so expensive when now to is the same company but cheaper. Unless you absolutely must watch things live. We have a smart to with now to installed so don’t need any hardware and the sky box will still get all the free view channels

allthegear
    Free Member

Life

zilog6128

Have a look at the cancelling Sky thread… I now pay approx £6.70/month for Family pack (HD, box sets, etc). No hassle, can do it through live chat. Don’t even want or watch Sky much any more (genuinely cancelled!) but it’s cheaper than buying another freesat box so I can pause/rewind (or paying Sky £10/month for that feature!)

simonjj
    Free Member

As others have said, now tv either their box or as I do via apple tv, entertainment package includes sky1, fox, discovery etc and is £6.99 a month – no 12 month contract.
    Swapped about 2 years ago and would never go back to traditional Sky.

z1ppy

allthegear – Member
    Life

great series pity it got cancelled.

Thanks ppl, I know we can free trail both but are looking for some personal recommendations for before we embark into this exciting new adventure :mrgreen:
    I think we’d be as good pairing down to a sky family on monthly subscription & going fibre, then experiment with the other options

mtbfix

We had Netflix and it was good. Then Mrs mtbfix did a free trial for Prime. Needless to say she forgot to cancel it so we got Prime for a year and so cancelled Netflix. Act in haste, repent at leisure. Prime sucks. All the good films are chargeable and the series are not much to write home about IMO. My recommendation would be for Netflix.

P-Jay
    Free Member

The best bits of Sky are available via NowTV (another Sky Product) streams only for £6 a month.

It’s what I’ll be doing once I can get decent bandwidth.

loddrik
    Free Member

Watch everything on Kodi now. Never go back to Sky. Save £100 a month and have far more available to watch now. Nigh on everything is great quality too.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Shagging, biking, and going down the pub.

PePPeR

Another vote for a V8s box from eBay…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What to replace sky with?’ is closed to new replies.