Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • What to do with a few thousand quid?
  • flyingmonkeycorps

As per my thread a while ago, I’ve been accepted for voluntary exit from work, which will give me 6 months wages (untaxed) plus another 4 weeks taxed in lieu of leave.

Now whilst I’d like to blow it all on a stupid car, a new bike and a trip to the Alps what I’m actually going to do is put it into a savings account as a deposit for our next house.

So – can anyone suggest the best way to do this? I won’t need access until we come to buy the next house, which will be this time next year at the earliest (we have another fairly healthy savings account for emergencies) so something with a bit of interest would be good.

I’ve never really had much by the way of savings before, so this is all new to me.

scruff9252

This site is has a pretty good calculator for juggling / optimising interest rates with current UK banks and worth a look / play about with. I would (personally) stay away from peer to peer lending tho.

https://www.bankaccountsavings.co.uk/calculator

IHN

If you want to keep it in cash, which you should, just Google ‘best savings interest rates’. ‘Best’ being a subjective word, they’ll range from minimal to miniscule.

Or, stick it in Premium Bonds. Safe, no interest but could return a decent prize.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

C&H

andrewh
    Free Member

With interest rates so low at present I’d go with the premium bonds suggestion, not going to cost you much in lost interest and you never know.
    Or pay down the current mortgage? Less to move over when you move house but less easily accessible if you do need it again.

flyingmonkeycorps

Cheers all.

Just realised I can get a Help to Buy ISA with some of it too – Mrs Monkey owns this house, so I’m technically a new buyer.

flyingmonkeycorps

Actually paying down on the current mortgage is not a bad idea, would make a fair dent in it. Plus if the economy tanks the less we have in the mortgage the better, right?

wzzzz
    Free Member

What I did was open a Vanguard S&S ISA and put it into LifeStrategy 80.

My rate of return has been 8.73% since just before xmas.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

Paying off debts which accrue interest is a good idea ie. mortgage, credit cards, etc.

tallsam
    Free Member

Another vote for Vanguard.

Worth reading here though:
    https://www.vanguardinvestor.co.uk/investing-explained/what-are-lifestrategy-funds

BigJohn

Yes, pay off loans that charge significant interest, have a nice holiday then the rest in Premium bonds so you can enjoy the frisson on the 2nd of the month as you check the prize history.

Earl
    Free Member

Risk some of it on Bitcoin

submarined
    Free Member

Air cooled Porsche. (Depending on how much a ‘few’ is, may also need a ‘bit’ of a top up…)

portugeezer
    Free Member

If you lock away the money for several months have a look at Paragon or Shawbrook fixed term accounts. All these best deals are on Money saving expert , and are backed by FCSC , I have a paragon 9 month fixed term account.
    Best option , in my opinion, as it’s shortish term and you need very low risk go for a cash savings account.
    You will get, albeit very small, a guaranteed return.

Check for best rates on money saving expert great source of info.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

Defo an aircooler porsche, no brainer

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘What to do with a few thousand quid?’ is closed to new replies.