• This topic has 65 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by br.
Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)
  • What to do with 50K?
  • chakaping
    Free Member

What about a big boat made out of gold?

br
    Free Member

£50k is not going to change your life, and tbh it really depends on your mortgage rate of whether its really worth paying it down (mines 0.83% so the saving would be bugger all).

If you don't need the cash, then invest it 'high-risk'.

If you've any debt, probably pay it off – but having cash in the bank is always useful.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Gold boat?

Reinforced concreet is where it's at!

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1975/Ferro-Cement-Schooner-2159798/Plymouth/United-Kingdom

Seriously, why save/invest it? What are you going to do with it, spend it slowly and get no real joy from it? Pass it onto your kids?

If you have no savings stick £10k in a rainy day fund, but have some fun with the rest it!

RHSno2
    Free Member

'Not going to change your life'

Well it isn't if you do all the boring/sensible stuff that people say up there. If your imagination can't sum up a better life with 50k then go buy an imagnation.

Or just invest it and be sensible.

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

50k would change my life. I'd take it any day of the week.

chakaping
    Free Member

£50k is not going to change your life, and tbh it really depends on your mortgage rate of whether its really worth paying it down (mines 0.83% so the saving would be bugger all).

Good point about the current interest rates, but things are bound to change in future.

I think that amount of money really would change a lot of people's lives in terms of affording a deposit on a home or letting them feel a bit more secure in their finances if they've previously been living hand-to-mouth.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

OK assumptions:

Your ~50-55 ish (old enough to have the generation above you starting to shuffle towards the light)

Therefore – Kids have left home
    – Morgage must be almost paid off
    – Pension is secure as it can be
    – As a result of the 3 things above your cost of living has droped a lot in the last 10 years

Assuming those assumptions are correct, have some fun! I'd rather have some epic memories for a rainy day than a pile of cash in a savings account.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I'd not invest in premium bonds, but I know someone who put 1K in and as yet they haven't failed to win <500 per year. They now have near 4K in including the orignal capital. That's not a bad return!

chakaping
    Free Member

Notice the OP hasn't been back for a while.

I reckon he's taken the coke and hookers route.

yossarian
    Free Member

I reckon he's taken the coke and hookers route.

dwarves carrying trays of coke on their heads, if he's got any class

ZaskarCarbon
    Free Member

I would say buy shares in Apple, but judging by the way that the iPhone4 seems to be going tits-up at the moment, probably not wise! Wait a few days for them to take a slide and then buy buy buy!

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Notice the OP hasn't been back for a while.

Still have to work for a living!
    Just got in & the cheque's arrived, £48,531.67
    Some good thoughts there, however any of you who actually thought I was really looking for advice are as daft as you thought I was!
    thisisnotaspoon – Member
    OK assumptions:

Your ~50-55 ish (old enough to have the generation above you starting to shuffle towards the light)

Therefore – Kids have left home
    – Morgage must be almost paid off
    – Pension is secure as it can be
    – As a result of the 3 things above your cost of living has droped a lot in the last 10 years

Assuming those assumptions are correct, have some fun! I'd rather have some epic memories for a rainy day than a pile of cash in a savings account.

Do you know me personally? Your'e spot on apart from the mortgage bit, still got a biggish mortgage so obviously thats gonna get the attention one way or the other. What I won't be doing is buying an M3! (It'll be an Audi RS4, HA!)
    Anyway, I'm off to buy some feather edge patches, got a flat on the old H/T.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do you know me personally?

Nope, but for £50k I'd relax my morals :-p

Just hazzarded a guess based on the relative being one generation older and rich enough to leave nephew's money as well as charities, therefore preumably dying of natural causes at a ripe old age.

The rest was based on my parents being about your age so just describe them.

supersessions9-2
    Free Member

50k is just what I need to extend my house.

Lend it to me on an interest free loan.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

50k sure would change my life! I'll do you a good deal on a kidney. One careful owner…

missingfrontallobe
    Free Member

@ the OP, do you have any female offspring? In which case just put the money into a savings, and unless you can convince the afore mentioned offspring to elope, it'll mostly be gone with one wedding nowadays.

jimmy

go on TJ, I'll entertain your idea… (seriously now)

freeridenick
    Free Member

I would
    1. Go Heli skiing in Alaska
    2. Buy a Ducati
    3. buy a nice shiney new bike
    4. Go on a month long road trip around the alps biking
    5. Climb an 8000m peak in the Himalayas
    6. Take all my mates to BC for 2 weeks biking

sod saving it – you only live once. Its free money.

molgrips
    Free Member

I'm self employed, so I think I put put it in the bank to live off in lean times or when I felt like the trip of a lifetime…

You could either sit back aged 65 and think 'ooh I saved a lot on my mortgage' or you could have a stupendous epic trip of a lifetime and still be grinning about aged 65 🙂

BoardinBob

Drugs, hookers and a white spandex jumpsuit

Edric64
    Free Member

Mid 40s mortgage till im 65
    No pension
    Kids
    50k would change my life big time

Aidy
    Free Member

I'm curious as to the financial situations people are in that they reckon £50k wouldn't change things for them.

It damn well would for me! 🙂

Tiger6791

A quick bet on

Human League @ 33/1
    Eddery, Paul/Channon, M
    Form : 67-097 Age : 3 Weight : 9-5

If that come in 1st you'd get £1.7 million!!!!

Do it!!! 👿

luked2
    Free Member

I know this sounds boring but:

– Make sure your ISA allowance is used up for this year. That's £10k accounted for.

– Read some scary predictions about pensions. Do something about it.

– With the remaining cash, just go mad and get yourself a pair of Nobby Nic tyres or maybe even some Stan's rim wheels.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

I'm listening!

Have you seen the price of a strip of patches these days? 99p!!

Anyway, 1. Go Heli skiing in Alaska
    2. Buy a Ducati
    3. buy a nice shiney new bike
    4. Go on a month long road trip around the alps biking
    5. Climb an 8000m peak in the Himalayas
    6. Take all my mates to BC for 2 weeks biking

1. I'm 54 & can't ski.
    2. Haven't passed me bike test (although I could buy one & just sit in the garden listening to it, they do sound nice)
    3.I might.
    4 Been 3 times.
    5 I'm 54 with wonky knees.
    6 I might.

br
    Free Member

I'm curious as to the financial situations people are in that they reckon £50k wouldn't change things for them.

When I was a kid, maybe. But then a million was beyond the amount you could imagine – and pools winners were winning hundreds of thou – now £50k wouldn't even get the Bentley salesman off his chair…

tbh if I inherited £50k it would just go in the bank – to be used as and when it was needed – that's not me bragging but just looking at it rationally based upon the cost of living. Especially with 3 (teenage) kids and both the wife and I contract working (and consequently only on a weeks notice).

Viewing 26 posts - 41 through 66 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘What to do with 50K?’ is closed to new replies.