Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • What to do in London on a Sunday ?
  • bigsi
    Free Member

Ok so myself and the girlfriend are up in London at the end of March to see a show and are staying over to make a weekend of it but what is there to do on a Sunday in the capital which doesn’t involve shopping (bores me stupid) eating (we are going for a meal the night before so will be full) or drinking (gf’s mother will be with us on the Sunday and i will have to drive from the station in the late afternoon)

Looking for something a bit different than the normal tourist stuff and am not adverse to museums and gallary’s as long as they are good (i know its a matter of taste).

We will have the late morning and afternoon to kill so don’t want something that will take 5 mins.

We are staying near London Bridge Station so quite central and don’t mind traveling for a bit to get somewhere as long as it’s worth it.

So over to you oh wise and knowledgeable ones 😉

Cheers 😀

bigsi
    Free Member

Oh and any links to websites would be quite handy to

cheers again

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Within easy walking distance of London Bridge are:

North of river
    Monument
    Leadenhall Market (it’ll be shut, but nice architecture and you can also gander at the Lloyds building, Gerkin, etc)
    The London Stone
    Tower of London
    Tower Bridge
    Spitalfields (cool market, architecture & bike shops)
    Museum of London
    Walk along Embankment to Westminster

South of River
    Tate Modern
    London Dungeon
    The war museum on Tooley Street who’s name escapes me for the moment)
    London Bridge Experience
    Borough Market
    The Globe Theatre
    Vinopolis
    Gabriels Wharf
    London Eye
    IMAX cinema

to name but a few things

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I would suggest London Eye!? Not been on it myself but had some good reviews. Or London Zoo went last summer was ace!!

mboy
    Free Member

eating (we are going for a meal the night before so will be full)

Eh? Do you only eat once per weekend? 😕

I’d suggest any of what piedi di formaggio says. Not been to a few of those myself actually, maybe next visit to London!

Eye is good, though not if you have to queue for ages. And it’s expensive!

There are loads of good restaurants around though, and some of them pretty cheap, even by non London standards. Personally, would accept you’re going to get fat from the weekend, and ride your bike more next week to compensate! 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

i’d suggest the first train out in the morning

or failing that, national portrait gallery is one of my favourites. and the v&a is good (i know they are a bit predictable)

Greenwich (naval musem/observatory) is nice too and usually quite quiet

andym
    Free Member

We are staying near London Bridge Station so quite central and don’t mind traveling for a bit to get somewhere as long as it’s worth it.

No need to travel it’s all on your doorstep.

You could:

– walk down the river to Tower Bridge (maybe go up the viewing gallery), the Design Museum and have lunch somewhere in Butler’s Wharf;
    – walk the other way go to Vinopolis, Tate Modern, wobbly bridge, London Eye, St Paul’s etc etc
    – cross the river to the newly-restored Monument.

On Saturdays you can go to Borough Market. though it’s pretty crowded.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Imperial War Museum as well..
    British Museum near Holborn

…or just walk around – the City of London proper is surprisingly quiet on a Sunday

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

There are loads of good restaurants around though, and some of them pretty cheap,

Very true. If you go anywhere near Covent Garden, try Food for Thought on Neal Street. It’s a tiny little cafe that’s been doing the best veggie food I’ve ever tasted (And I’m not veggie) for decades. A big plate of food is ussually about £5-£6. I always go there for lunch when I go to London.
    😀

Stoner
    Free Member

Im surprised no-one has yet recommended that you take your girlfriend up the Oxo tower…

You could even take your M-in-Law too if you want…

🙂

bigsi
    Free Member

Stoner i don’t think that any of us are in the 20% club but thanks for your input 🙄

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘What to do in London on a Sunday ?’ is closed to new replies.