Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • What tapered headset
  • scotabroad

Looking to buy headset for stage 4 orange.  Tapered steerer/ headset is a new thing for me so just wondered which one, something mid range, heavywieght riding scotland in wiinter so needs to be half decent

Yak

Hope.

stevextc
    Free Member

Boring answer but Hope seal really well… other than sealing they all work the same.

IMHO either splash out or get something cheap like the Nukeproof Neutron and clean/regrease/change bearings.

Mid-range… honestly don’t think its worth it. They don’t seal any better than something like the Nukeproof …

stevextc
    Free Member

Yak

Hope.

I almost feel we discussed this yesterday?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

the red one

rossburton
    Free Member

I love Hope headsets but I can’t complain about the Superstar one I put on my winter hardtail.

Yak

stevextc- we did! I was grumbling about cane creek 40s but both of us have had years old hopes still going fine.

Daffy

Chris King!

endomick
    Free Member

Can’t go wrong with Hope, the external seal build into the crown race works really well, although superstar have similar design, colour options and are cheaper. Hope’s crown race is silver which is an odd choice when all crown’s are black.

boblo
    Free Member

Quick question for the Hope aficionados… The foam seals in the top and bottom cups, how long do they last and do they harden with time/UV? I bought a Hope recently over King and was disappointed to find the foam addictions mainly from a longevity perspective.

stevextc
    Free Member

how long do they last and do they harden with time/UV?

Ours have just lasted and lasted … I was chatting with Yak (as above) and I replaced Jnr’s first 24 headset with hope in a fit of What the hell.. it got used and washed next to my bikes for a couple of years before it got sold and I never replaced a bearing. Every time my nasty FSA ones were corroded I’d think better check Jnr’s and never did anything but wipe and regrease as far as I know it’s still not had bearings replaced as his mates brother rides that bike now. His 2nd 24 got Hope because I needed to fit a tapered into a straight steerer… (and the Hope tapered to straight is 2mm shorter stack than the CC) 2-3 years and sold with the same bearings.

Mine came of the frame (bought used) .. still not changed the bearings but that’s only a bit over a year? My normal routine is when I do a fork service I pull them out, wipe and clean, regrease and put back.

My Nukeproof headset lasted a year (not used that often) but equally it lasts a fork service or two. It needs a new lower bearing now, sat in the shed but I cleaned and repacked the existing one so not in a hurry.

The CC40 on Jnrr’s has lasted as well but TBH it’s had more love as the forks have been swapped about for various reasons and I’m in the habit of clean and regreasing headsets whenever the fork comes off.

endomick
    Free Member

Boblo, never had issues with them, it could be your choice of grease, top cover is a cheap replaceable part as little as £4 and £5 for crown race. But mine have lasted years.

boblo
    Free Member

OK, ta. I’ve only just bought it so probably mythering. It’s just a like kit that doesn’t degrade just because. You know, like the old style Shimano cone seals etc.

I don’t mind wearing stuff out, just don’t like it going NF sat doing nothing between rides…

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘What tapered headset’ is closed to new replies.