Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • What suncream for cycling?
  • singletracksurfer

So happy to be able to ask that question now 🙂

So what do people recommend?

Thanks.

headfirst
    Free Member

P20

End of thread

chrisdw
    Free Member

P20

End of thread

This.

Anyone seen it cheap anywhere recently?

psling
    Free Member

Agree, Riemann P20. Though I do use a childrens’ waterproof cream on my face rather than P20.

singletracksurfer

Brilliant, thanks. That one rings a bell. Will post back with best price I can find.

Bucko

P20 was 1/3 off in Sainsburys recently. I’ve never burned when using the SPF15 stuff on all day rides, even on my shiny head

unklehomered
    Free Member

End this thread! do you know what a thread like this can do??? It’s only May and there’s still everything to play for. Acceptable thread titles are What Mud Tyres? Best Waterproofs? Seen seal skinz cheap recently?

langylad
    Free Member

P20 is great for sweaty monkeys like myself, it bonds to your skin so is very waterproof, however it is bloody expensive

bigblackshed

WARNING

P20 works very. But if you haven’t used it before do a small test patch a few times. The active ingredient is called PABA (Para-Aminobenzoic Acid). A lot of users can have allergic reactions, itching, burning, dermatitis. I had a full on anaphylactic shock.

Something similar but PABA free, ALOE GATOR

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Always found the Boots Sports stuff to be very good

bruneep

Piz Buin spf 30 all day

Its half price at boots online

http://www.boots.com/en/Piz-Buin-1-Day-Long-Lotion-SPF30-200ml_23478/

The P20 stained a lot of my clothes and towels

milky1980
    Free Member

I found P20 gave me slight rashes so use Ambre Solaire Light and Silky SPF20 instead. Stays on well despite me being a heavy sweater and doesn’t need re-pplication. The 30+ version is too sticky for my liking!!

bigdean

Boots childrens factor 50 sun sticks. Can be put in a jersey pocket and you dont get cream all over you hands. 2 for 1 when i last bought some.

jonba
    Free Member

Water proof factor 50. Boots, Nivea, whatever is on offer. I’m often out all day with little shade so high factor sweat proof is essential.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Other option is Ultrasun, not sure why it hasn’t been recommended here already as there were some supporters previously.

jools182
    Free Member

P20 is on offer at the evil tesco

LoCo
    Free Member

Banana boat factor 50 kids stuff

hmanchester
    Free Member

Aldi factor 30. Cheap, effective, smells good, reapply if necessary and still way cheaper than p20.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

No need to reapply ultrasun, so no need to carry it around either.

I use it in the maldives – put on once in the morning then it survives shed loads of snorkling, etc.

milky1980
    Free Member

I still find it amazing that a load of UV light can come from the sun, take 8 minutes – at the speed of light – to get to your skin only to be defeated by a bit of cream out of a bottle!!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cyclax. Teh shizzle, and made in the UK, too!

IanMunro
    Free Member

High fat diet.

iamroughrider
    Free Member

childrens ( as factor 50 ) water resistant Superdrug own brand.

aP
    Free Member

P20 used to stain clothing quite badly, but they’ve changed it now so it doesn’t.
    Having bought some recently to take to the Dolomites next week, it would appear that there’ll be another 40cm of snow on the Stelvio, and a wind chill factor of -20C. So I’m taking full winter riding clothes. 😥

baldman
    Free Member

Always found P20 to be good, though as above, does stain clothes (new stuff a bit better, but I find it still stains a bit).

Northwind

Banana boat Ultramist for me. They do an SPF110! That’s exclusively for gingers who want to walk on the sun.

Oh, SPF30 on discount at Boots just now, good value- it’s normally a bit pricey, though a can goes a long way.

chiefgrooveguru

End this thread! do you know what a thread like this can do??? It’s only May and there’s still everything to play for. Acceptable thread titles are What Mud Tyres? Best Waterproofs? Seen seal skinz cheap recently?

Only last night I informed my wife of my second front wheel plan, to have a wet/mud tyre always ready to swap onto my bike when it’s soggy – and that it would be prudent to buy it now rather than in the autumn so we have a gloriously dry summer…

jonba
    Free Member

I still find it amazing that a load of UV light can come from the sun, take 8 minutes – at the speed of light – to get to your skin only to be defeated by a bit of cream out of a bottle!!

Fair comment, especially as in many cases the cream is invisible to the naked eye (although, I guess it wouldn’t be to an insect…)

Tis all about the HOMOs getting excited.

Northwind

Oh bugger, banana boat sold out at boots, forget I spoke- looks like it might be discontinued 🙁

project
    Free Member

Real welsh men use chip fat from a week old donner kebab, seems to keep the flys and women away

fatsimonmk2
    Free Member

wish I had put some on this morning as I now have the beginnings of cyclist tan (strange tan lines and all)coming on 8)

Anna-B
    Free Member

Boots Active *was* good – but I replaced yesterday with their SPF 50 Active Fatstick, supposed to be sweat proof, but it just ran off my face today which is now a bit burnt 👿 I don’t recommend it anymore as I have in the past. Need something for face only which won’t sweat off! Don’t like the sound of P20, may try the kids waterproof SPF 50 as per above.

TiRed

I have long been a fan of the Ambre Solaire sprays. Started on factor 10 years ago and now use factor 30. Non-greasy (unlike Nivea) and doesn’t seem to stain clothes as much as P20. Oh and I wear a long-sleeved white club jersey, or white compression top under my short-sleeved jersey.

Being very fair skinned, red hair and more frekkles than you’ve ever seen, I’m trying to avoid the family melanoma roulette! Cyclists tan lines – bwahahahahaha!
    Still if vitamin D is a perfomance enhancing drug, I’m in.

matther01
    Free Member

P20 = greasy horrible and stained clothes

Piz Buin all day = happiness (coming from a really pasty white sun dodger)

Anna-B
    Free Member

I’m ok with normal SPF 30 on my body, I’ve got Boots and Lidl….. it’s just my face. Very sun sensitive and, um, sweaty. My head sweats, even my hair sweats. I need something like tar. What shall I buy?

jekkyl

I just the sweat hard earned from cycling off road in the sun.

prettygreenparrot

This feels dry, goes on easily, non-slip and smells fruity.

Anna-B
    Free Member

Thanks PPG, have just also found this on the Boots website, so will give one of the two a try:

banana boat active

garage-dweller

Nivea spf50 which we have for the kids.
    Still got asked if i had used fake tan after my recent welsh holiday!!!
    I have been in direct sun for 5hpurs+ today and not a hint of pink.
    I use ambre solaire spf30 for less intense sunshine.
    Had two black moles cut out in my life. Both thankfully benign on investigation. Better pasty than dead.

captaincarlos

Calypso do an all day P20 copy in SPF 10, 20 and 30 – seems to work as well as P20 but picked I picked a few bottles up for six quid in Wilkinson’s a few weeks ago, do much cheaper

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘What suncream for cycling?’ is closed to new replies.