Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 523 total)
  • What steel roadbike frame
  • KPHC

I don’t think the 9kg quote for Ullrich’s 1997 Pina is with the LWs. Think it’s with Bora’s

oldgit
    Free Member

It’s obviously a personal set-up, those bars look HUGE.

It’s a hoptical illusion, the bars are in fact very shallow RHM jobbies.

Oldgit tubs or clinchers?

Veloflex carbon tubs.

If we are talking aesthetics, I’m much more offended by the grey cable outers than the wheels on the Volare.

I like the neutral of the grey, the frame is actually a dark grey. I can’t stand colour coded cables.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Pretty impressive Bob. Wheels make such a difference and who wouldn’t want to have Pegoretti in the garage.

Bregante

IHN – Member
    Hang on, did you but the Ritchey? Is jealous

Can I have first dibs on it? Timings perfect, it’s my birthday next month?

Oi! Get in line. I baggsied it before he’d ordered the bloody thing!
    (Why do you think I used reverse psychology to suggest it to him in the first place) 😉

geetee1972
    Free Member

If you only needed a 250mm post you could cut the Enve one down, shirley?

Of course you could, but having held and fitted one, it’s a brave and unfeeling mechanic that takes a hack saw to that exquisite finish!

I think the subject of very high end steel frames is interesting. It’s a case in point that form can still win over function and that material value is not the same thing as actual value.

By any objective measure, steel frames, no matter who makes them, can generate numbers that are competitive with Carbon and yet people, myself included, still want to own them because what is not to love?

I mean look at Anderson Custom Bikes:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/qPdSqo]IMG_0618[/url] by Anderson Custom Bicycles, on Flickr

Who wouldn’t want that in their garage?

Sure I would always want a race bike for, you know, racing, but if I could only have one bike it would be the Anderson.

oldgit
    Free Member

geetee1972 my mate has one. Not at all precious with it, all day rides, trail rides, Audax the lot. t is really stunning.

This is his, light and fast as well.

TiRed

My Kona Paddy Wagon with the same Ritchey WCS forks, Ultegra brakeset, decent handbuilt wheels and tubs, Ritchey finishing kit and no gears comes in at nine kilos, more with clinchers. I’ll go with that; 9.1 kg.

Plenty of scope for lightness, but now from the Planet X parts box.

simondbarnes

Who cares how much it weighs? You don’t buy a steel frame for lightness but because they look ace and ride really nicely*

*obviously a rubbish steel frame won’t but we’re talking about nice ones 🙂

geetee1972
    Free Member

geetee1972 my mate has one. Not at all precious with it, all day rides, trail rides, Audax the lot. t is really stunning.

I already know that frame and have seen the pictures of it built on the owner’s Flickr site (he is also the owner of a Leica so clearly a man with money and exquisite taste).

That frame is actually the first example of Anderson Custom Bikes I ever saw and is the one taht caused me to fall in love with Daver Anderson’s artistry. Cool that you know the owner personally. Please pass on my compliments.

DT78
    Free Member

I now want an Anderson frame. Time to start saving.

oldgit
    Free Member

I already know that frame and have seen the pictures of it built on the owner’s Flickr site (he is also the owner of a Leica so clearly a man with money and exquisite taste).

That frame is actually the first example of Anderson Custom Bikes I ever saw and is the one taht caused me to fall in love with Daver Anderson’s artistry. Cool that you know the owner personally. Please pass on my compliments.

And the past owner of my super wheels 😀

Teetosugars
    Free Member
    geetee1972
    Free Member

And the past owner of my super wheels

Don’t you just love how the world turns…in ever decreasing circles!

TheDoctor
    Free Member

You don’t buy a steel frame for lightness but because they look ace and ride really nicely

But my 60cm steel framed bike does all of that and weighs less than 7kg fully built with sensible parts.

There are an awful lot of bikes in this thread with fancy tube stickers, which upon further investigation are just 1 or 2 tubes, the rest being scaffold pipe 😮

oldgit
    Free Member

TheDoctor, hope mine plays nice. First road race of the season on the 8th March, and a dire road course. Hope I don’t go home with egg on my face.
    The Lightweights are only being used for crits.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

oldgit – Member

TheDoctor, hope mine plays nice. First road race of the season on the 8th March

it will be sweet, the Genesis race team did alright on them 😀

cynic-al
    Free Member

From your last email hora:

Will drop you an email later

geetee1972
    Free Member

But my 60cm steel framed bike does all of that and weighs less than 7kg fully built with sensible parts.

So lighter than 50% of the bikes that the Pro Tour peleton are riding then? Really? Sub 7kg for a steel framed bike with ‘sensible’ parts? There’s something missing from the picture.

TheDoctor
    Free Member

geetee1972 – Member

So lighter than 50% of the bikes that the Pro Tour peleton are riding then? Really? Sub 7kg for a steel framed bike with ‘sensible’ parts? There’s something missing from the picture.

Weeeeel

I dont bolt lead weights on it for a start, like most of the “pro peleton” has to! It really isnt difficult to build a bike below 7kg.

Depends on your definition of sensible, Super Record, Ritchey parts and nice Tubs, job done, could be even lighter with SRAM,carbon bars and better wheels. 😛

MrSmith
    Free Member

Who wouldn’t want that in their garage?

Not me, I have no interest in lugged stovepipe steel frames with small o/d’s and a twangy fork.

oldgit
    Free Member

Must weigh mine. All the parts are from my previous race bike a Giant TCR Advanced Pro, now that was light with sub 1400 wheels.
    I’ve moved to steel so waaaay heavier, but I’ve lightened some components and the wheels customised are sub 1000g.
    The massive 11/8″ internal to 1.5″ external headset nearly made me weep it’s so heavy.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Sub 1400 g wheels are more mtb territory now a light road wheel can be 1200 for clincher easily or even 750g fur tub wheels

oldgit
    Free Member

Got any pointers there orangeboy?

cynic-al
    Free Member

orangeboy – Member
    Sub 1400 g wheels are more mtb territory now a light road wheel can be 1200 for clincher easily

Speccing/choosing wheels and Clicking “buy” is easy of course.

It may also be cheap or good value.

The wheels may be durable with readily available spares

Achieving all 3 may not be easy!

hora
    Free Member

Question- would it be worthwhile upgrading my PlanetX bars if I was only spending circa 40-50 max? I’d want wide (better for stability?) and a lower depth to the drops. light too? Anything alu thats widely recognised as ‘great’/big bang for your buck?

The Salsa Cowbell looks nice but its CX/prob not suitable? 🙂

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Why not go for Ritchey WCS, very ligh and fairly well priced.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Stans race gold 29er wheels just under 1400g and mine are now a about three years old Id guess and been fine
    Road wheels extralite in Italy
    A second hand bike I got came with some old hyper climb and they have last very well also ,

Neither of the above are cheap but have lasted well and have mostly good spares back up

Not sure id go the tub route though

ahwiles
    Free Member

hora, re: bars, it’s worth finding out* what width/drop/etc. you prefer before getting some ‘nice’ ones.

(*hundreds of kilometers, not a spin around the block).

i’ve got some planet X bars on my commuter, they cost about £15, they weigh 340g.

i’ve got those Ritchey bars on my ‘nice’ bike, they cost ……, they weigh 280g. but, if anything, they’re a bit ‘fat’, so my hands ache ater a few hours. And, i now think they’re a bit too wide (44cm), But i’m reluctant to change them, because they’re ‘nice’ (i’m a berk).

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hora, Zipp Alloys for £24 and 44cm on eBay..

Zipp Alloy Bars linky

Edit, weight 195g (or thereabouts)

chakaping
    Free Member

Deep drop bars may not be the best choice unless you’re quite flexible.

They make it harder to ride on “along” bits in the drops IME, which can be frustrating.

taxi25
    Free Member

http://www.merlincycles.com/ritchey-wcs-logic-ii-road-bike-handlebar-72413.html my favourite, and they match your frame. 42cm the 44’s come up pretty big.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

My money’s on Ritchey Evocurve bars. They’re stiff enough to be confident decending, but just enough flex to take the sting out of the road on the hoods/drops, and the drops seem well sized to give enough room for big hands but still have clerance for wrists. There’s not a huge number of bits I’d buy again without reservation but they’re on the list, light too, especialy with the matching 260 stem.

I dont bolt lead weights on it for a start, like most of the “pro peleton” has to! It really isnt difficult to build a bike below 7kg.

Agreed, my CAAD4 is 7.3kg, and that’s been built on the cheep!

cynic-al – Member

Speccing/choosing wheels and Clicking “buy” is easy of course.

It may also be cheap or good value.

The wheels may be durable with readily available spares

Achieving all 3 may not be easy!

The wheels on that bike are 1275g (without QR’s), the spokes are conventional J-bend’s, the rims are Stans, the hubs are cartrige bearings (and so far, reliable), they’re also stiff enough not to rub, comfortable, wide, slightly aero, what more could you ask for? And they cost <£300.

DT78
    Free Member

What are those wheels then? Apologies if it is buried in the thread somewhere

chakaping
    Free Member

Those Logic 2s are my favourite bar shape too.

plus-one

I run these on my cx bike … Was a bit tentative at first with light weight but rattled them hard for nearly a year and all good ..

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=291113388742

thomthumb
    Free Member

I’d want wide (better for stability?)

buy bars that fit. if you don’t know how to measure ask in the LBS.

I like ritchey logic II shape: not a huge fan of compact drops.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

What are those wheels then? Apologies if it is buried in the thread somewhere

Assuming you’re talking to me;

Sokin (novatech) hubs of ebay, also sold as Mr Ride and unbranded versions, often refered to as “288g hubs” I think there’s a 260something.g version now too. 24/28 DT Rev spokes radial front and I think 2x rear, Stans alpha 340 rims.

Took a few goes to egt them built right and they’re not stiff so if not doing it yourself with a lot of paitience and a tension meter then get someone who’s really good at road wheels to do them. The first couple of attempts resulted in straight but not stiff wheels, 3rd time the spoke tension is perfectly even and they’re as stiff as anything else I’ve used (and I’m 100kg).

hora
    Free Member

The neg and neutral feedback on some of the last sales of that carbon bar purveyor…

Think I’d buy Easton if carbon. I wouldn’t put Chinese auction hobbies on my mountain bike let alone road!

dragon
    Free Member

Pro’s tend to use aluminium bars and I can’t see any reason to use carbon, as there is little weight difference between them.

Try and find a Deda 215 in a shallow drop, they are ace bars. Shame EU standards mean they don’t make them anymore.

hora
    Free Member

Found em- will measure my shoulders too.

BTW/FYI the 6800 Ultegra BB arrived. The after market BB comes with a fitting adaptor included in the box so no need to buy anything additional.

Viewing 40 posts - 321 through 360 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘What steel roadbike frame’ is closed to new replies.