Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 523 total)
  • What steel roadbike frame
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Hora, Nice choice, your choice. 8)

So Hora, we expect full build pics by Thursday evening at the latest and a ride profile post this weekends hack in your stomping ground area of the Pennines. So crack on.. 😆

Oldgits Volaire is gorgeous and IMO one of the nicest racing steelies’ out there. Proven, race profiles/angles, kit and it I’m sure rides beautifully. 8) Still not too sure about the wheels with the bonded carbon spokes but we’ve gossiped about that before and understand how Oldgit came about them, so visually it’s sweet and suspect they’ll add to the liveliness of racing a steely on carbon rims.
    Cool 8)

taxi25
    Free Member

Nice frame and it’ll build into a nice bike. No excuses with this one, if you don’t like riding it you don’t like riding road bikes, end of conversation. No shame in that its not for everyone.

IHN

Nice frame and it’ll build into a nice bike. No excuses with this one, if you don’t like riding it you don’t like riding road bikes, end of conversation. No shame in that its not for everyone.

He’s right you know, there’s no shame in admitting, once you’ve built it up and ridden it, that you don’t like it. I’ll ease your pain by taking it off your hands. Because I’m nice, I’ll even take it off your hands before you’ve ridden it 🙂

bob_summers

Great frames by all accounts. A club mate has got one, built up 7.3kg (Red groupset, Zipp crank and CK/Corima tubs), currenlty mudguarded up and belting out about 500km a week here in the Basque Country.

hora
    Free Member

Great frames by all accounts. A club mate has got one, built up 7.3kg (Red groupset, Zipp crank and CK/Corima tubs), currenlty mudguarded up and belting out about 500km a week here in the Basque Country.

Those seat stays look slender compared don’t they?

With my kit- Full Ultegra, Ultegra wheels and Conti GP4000’s/latex tubes how shy of 7.3kg will I be?

IHN- I like road riding but you can have it for half RRP in a year or so?

YoKaiser
    Free Member

Excellent choice, I know you had concerns over the tubeset, I have a vicious cycles metal guru built with ritchey logic tubing and it is beautiful. Has the attributes you normally associate with titanium.

I also like the volaire, looks great with those lightweights. I met a couple of guys on a sportive, one on a Parlee and one on a volaire, the volaire certainly caught the eye more, even nicer bike in the flesh.

cynic-al
    Free Member

So given the stage this thread has reached…should I assume hora’s not buying my Supersix?

mattythemod
    Free Member

Well Hora has almost the opposite direction as i did as i was planning on the Ritchey BUT ended up going with the Condor partly because i was impressed with there passion and heritage and the fact they done a custom paint finish for me , it always seem to freak people out when they realize its made of steel as the Tapered headtube and OS tubes kinda throw them off track .
    Good job Condor don’t make MTBS anymore !!

hora
    Free Member

So given the stage this thread has reached…should I assume hora’s not buying my Supersix?

You’re still advertising it and this was discussed last week.

TiRed

Very nice frame and the forks are absolutely fantastic. I also like skinny tubes with deep section wheels. My previous race bike with Ritchey fork and p-SLR wheels. For value and lightness, I’m thinking of a set of ARC Carbon tubulars. Sub 1200g and about £1/g too.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Those seat stays look slender compared don’t they?

Hmm and the questioning starts 😐

With my kit- Full Ultegra, Ultegra wheels and Conti GP4000’s/latex tubes how shy of 7.3kg will I be?

Closer to 9 I reckon.

IHN

IHN- I like road riding but you can have it for half RRP in a year or so?

You know where I am. Drop me a mail next month 😉

bob_summers

You’ll still get in at 8kg or just under I’d say. The zipp crank is insanely light (and shit), I think his wheels are about 1050g iirc (rear in photo is a Campag neutron emergency swap, hence tub and clincher on same bike). I imagine your wheels and tyres alone would be at least 500g heavier.
    Lightness not the point of these bikes anyway.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Sweepstake anyone? I’d say 500 in wheels, and another 500 in group and finishing kit. Are you just shifting everything over from the PX?

hora
    Free Member

Everything bar the seatpost. I’d try and re-use the front mech (shim it) if possible.

I’ve got an old carbon post- does fibre paste help stop steel/carbon bonding?

flange
    Free Member

I’d say it’ll be around the 9kg mark. It certainly won’t be light…

bob_summers

Maybe more than 8kg then!

Don’t worry about it. Climbing my local hill (12km @6%) on my 8kg bike instead of my 6.5kg bike requires a whopping 6 watts more! Might be a huge difference at the sharp end of the sport but personally I’d be better off trying to come up with the 6 watts 8)

ahwiles
    Free Member

my steel roadie weighs more or less 10Kg.

you’ll save:

frame: 300g – if the stated weight of the ritchey is accurate.

forks: 200g (being generous)

wheels: 250g – ultegra vs 1900g for my open pro’s on tiagra hubs.

maybe 1500g in total? (mabye…)

bob_summers

haven’t followed all the thread so don’t know the size of the OP’s frame, but my mate said 2.1kg for the F&F in a 56cm (i guess that’s 1800g+300g)

His spec is here http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=128775

edit, I’ll take a stab at 8.5 plus pedals.

taxi25
    Free Member

I’m in at 8.4kg

dragon
    Free Member

I doubt Planet-X finishing kit is very light, so 8.9 kg.

mrblobby
    Free Member

I say 9.1kg.

How are we going to get a confirmed weight for hora’s build? I think the only weight acceptable to STW are those verified on njee20’s scales. Is he anywhere near hora?

chakaping
    Free Member

9.06kg sans pedals.

I’m sure Hora can sweet talk the shop he;s buying it from into sticking it on the scales and taking a snap.

flange
    Free Member

9kg road bike? Sod that, it’s not the 1950’s….

hora
    Free Member

I can sweet talk most bikeshops- all you need to do is talk to them like fellow enthusiasts 😀

Theres a few pics of Logics on the scales on the web. How is 9kg’s bad?

geetee1972
    Free Member

I think something north of 9kg is more relaistic.

For reference, my Genesis 853 (with a heavy steel fork), full Dura Ace groupset, C35 wheels and alloy finishing kit comes in around 9.5kg. I reckon the fork is at least 200g heavier maybe even more like 300 or even 400g. Either way, with his kit I would be very surpried if it came in at sub 9kg.

A club mate has got one, built up 7.3kg (Red groupset, Zipp crank and CK/Corima tubs)

Really? I’m trying to wrap my head around this as that is insanely light for a steel framed bike. My Leggero with C35 clinchers (1450g) weights 7.4kg and the Leggero frame will be at least 800g lighter. The Leggero for reference has a full DA9000 Di2 groupset, 60mm carbon wheels (tubs at 1400g) and carbon finishing kit with ti Speedplay pedals.

Is that 7.3kg without pedals? I could just about buy that. Yes those wheels are crazy light (you see there are pretty big advantages to riding tubs as you can get a significantly lighter wheelset than with clinchers – by significant I mean a few hundred grams).

All of this is academic of course as it makes very little difference if you’re not racing.

hora
    Free Member

All of this is academic of course as it makes very little difference if you’re not racing.

riding along at a steady cadence smiling and shouting abuse at any mountain bikers I see..

flange
    Free Member

Theres a few pics of Logics on the scales on the web.

Built up with Ultegra grouppo/wheels and cheap finishing kit? I doubt it.

riding along at a steady cadence smiling and shouting abuse at any mountain bikers I see..

Or wobbling along panting, sweating and nearly passing out after having to haul the anchor up a mild incline…

KPHC

Built up with Ultegra grouppo/wheels and cheap finishing kit? I doubt it.

A sub 8.2kg build here with a pretty standard 6700 set-up

hora
    Free Member

flange try to be positive and upbeat. It’ll make your day go quicker too.

‘Finishing kit’ – Its soo easy to change the seatpost (already have to), the bars and stem.

There isn’t anything else that is ‘heavy PlanetX’ is there.

Cheer up and post happy stuff.

plus-one

Sans pedals though ?

hora
    Free Member

The wrong pedals do add abit..

geetee1972
    Free Member

Here’s a funny thing.

Did you know that a £250 Enve carbon seat post in whatever diameter you care to compare (and bear in mind they are all the same length, i.e. 400mm) is heavier than a standard £70 Thomson Elite if you go for the 250mm version (and assuming you can get away with the shorter version).

KPHC

Cheer up and post happy stuff

– Amen to that

Nice bikes over light bikes any day of the week. Given the choice, would you rather ride an original Mercx or an Emonda (etc), flange?

Plus there’s always this to consider…for most of us at least…
    Should-I-Lose-Weight-or-Buy-a-Lighter-Bike

geetee1972
    Free Member

Nice bikes over light bikes any day of the week. Given the choice, would you rather ride an original Mercx or an Emonda (etc), flange?

An Emonda any day of the week.

I ride a steel bike, don’t get me wrong, but the thing I love most about it is how even more amazing it makes my carbon race bike feel (which is a country mile more comfortable as well as over a kilo lighter and a whole lot stiffer and more responsive).

I’d have the Mercxx as well but I wouldn’t ride it as much. I would enjoy owning more than riding it.

IHN

Did you know that a £250 Enve carbon seat post in whatever diameter you care to compare (and bear in mind they are all the same length, i.e. 400mm) is heavier than a standard £70 Thomson Elite if you go for the 250mm version (and assuming you can get away with the shorter version).

If you only needed a 250mm post you could cut the Enve one down, shirley?

ransos
    Free Member

Bikes weighing that much won the TdF as recently as 1997.

Tour de France Bicycles & Historical Bike Weights

bob_summers

Is that 7.3kg without pedals? I could just about buy that.

With. Spec’s above, fill yer boots. The zipp crank is sub 600g with cups, SRAM red is a few hundred grams lighter than di2. Seems realistic to me, my pego builds to 7.5kg with some silly light tubs.

hora
    Free Member

Love the amendments on Lance 😆

dragon
    Free Member

I’d query Ullrich’s bike weighing as much as 9kg when he was running Lightweights on it.

Viewing 40 posts - 281 through 320 (of 523 total)

The topic ‘What steel roadbike frame’ is closed to new replies.