• This topic has 60 replies, 47 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by fossy.
Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)
  • What sort of riding do you do?
  • benp1

I have two mountain bikes, both rigid at the moment!

Plus a commuter and a Brompton

You can probably guess the sort of riding I do, I don’t mind the odd bit of tech but only as long as it’s not too steep and can match my very poor skills

cb200
    Free Member

Commute which is mostly road, and occasional trips to Peaks, Pines and parks.

kennyp
    Free Member

I am new to the forum, I kind of see it as an off-road biased forum.

Welcome to STW. However don’t expect too much bike chat. Mostly it’s questions about wood burning stoves, debates about types of whisky and furious arguments about religion. Oh, and there’s usually a “what tyre for……” thread running.

(-:

Creg

I have a gravel bike and a touring bike. Most of my riding is done on Zwift at the moment as I’m recovering from a knee injury (again).

Had mountain bikes in the past but have lacked the confidence to use them for anything other than mellow stuff on the North York Moors. Hoping to do a skills course next year when my health is up to scratch and then get more off road riding done (want to try the coast to coast, sandstone way, head to Switzerland and Italy).

bluerich

Trail riding, mainly over/around open moorland. Been to trail centres, but not really my bag as I don’ have required skillset to run reds and blacks at anything like half pace.

RustySpanner

Hello. 🙂

I like to bimble. There’s usually food.

https://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/the-bimble-thread/

There’s a lot of it about.

grarea
    Free Member

Ooooh, I like a bimble.

Well, the things is, I look like I am bimbling, but I am actually completely flat out.

I want to have a bimblebike.

That is now my new name for it, thanks.

The plan is (I think i mentioned) kind of a tourer type thing, but with some cyclocross type tyres.

Rack on the back for shopping. (Possibly a wicker basket on the front and a bow in my hair. (It will have to be a very small bow))

Take my camera with me and bimble about on the bridleways etc etc

One thing at a time….. I have a tyre making a hissing sound….

ton

i am a true potterer.

but in the past i have done everything.

xc race in the late 80’s, triathlon in the early 90’s, polaris map reading events, ss events, summit bagging in the lakes and scotland, uplifts, week long offroad touring, month long french touring, life long commuter.

all types of bikes over the years. all good.

marcg868
    Free Member

I’m more of a bimbler these days. I did used to search out the biggest jumps,drop offs and steep descents I could find. Till I hit a tree full pelt, fractured and dislocated shoulder, fractured multiple ribs and nose, Airlifted to the nearest trauma centre back in 2009.

Now I’m mainly cruising canals, flowing singletrack, cheeky footpaths and exploring any forest trails I come across.

My usual ride involves, short section of canal, some fireroad, forest track,a short section of road

A greenway and back onto the canal.

Use a 120mm full suss, well overbiked for what I ride but it’s comfortable. Also own a 26 inch Hardtail, use this for popping to the shops,pub and when it’s far too muddy for the big bike.

Usually put my main bike away from December till March but we shall see.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Mincing. That is all really. Not deluding myself as that’s what it is.

rone

I like long and fast rides to a decent location/scenary/coffee.

Don’t mind if it’s a bit of a train track with bridleways etc or fire road. Throw in a bit of climbing or teccy too but mostly prefer to stretch my legs.

100mm 29 is my weapon of choice but do have cx/gravel now which is okay but not as comfy.

Still have a 130mm bike at parents in law in the peak and do ride there but actually prefer local from the door as we have more unbroken bridleways and connected forests/parks.

I love trips to Scotland and particularly the Caringorms. Have recently started going to the American West and enjoying Moab, Vegas , Bend, Yellowstone etc as a riding experience which has been incredible.

Trail centres are okay, lost quite a lot of love for them these days but really like the 7 stanes.

nickc

Mince-core

Where I ride you can find pretty steep techy riding, which I then mince down.

mrhoppy

Bike riding. I’m married so I don’t get to do the other type.

tomaso
    Free Member

I ride mostly in the Lakes. Rocks and mountains in a National Park. Apparently my all rounder FS bike can be used for this Enduro thing, but I just ride down and over stuff.

I have a Stache too, which is fun, especially when I visit my mum in the South Downs.

I have a road bike for getting work and and other boring stuff like shopping. There is no joy to be had riding on the road.

JoeG
    Free Member

epicyclo

Any bike, anywhere, any time.

Commonly known as wrong bike, wrong place, wrong time.

Expert at hike a bike on the heroic stuff. 🙂

epicyclo

I suppose what I really meant was I am a rough stuff rider, which as I am a member of the RSF, is kind of logical.

Think gravel with occasional lumpy bits and hike a bike.

lunge

Commuting

Road stuff, the odd sportive, some group rides and lots of just going out on my bike.

”Gravel”, or just riding on easy bridleways and towpaths as it used to be known.

Riding to go somewhere. This is a rarity for a few people but as I don’t own a car, some of my riding is because I need to go somewhere or get something. Either in the fixie or my cargo bike.

grarea
    Free Member

I am in the same position atm.

Sort of on purpose.

I want to get my cycling to a point where going a reasonable distance to get somewhere is not an issue.

I am happy popping 5 miles each way now to get something. Including the drag out of town.

Can go further, but that is a fine distance, you know? Work to be done however still.

Like you say, it is a rarity. A lost skill almost.

jjwprestidge
    Free Member

I ride either techy local natural stuff or Wind Hill Blacks regularly, with a few trips to BPW and other trail centres throughout the year. Don’t really bother with anything that doesn’t have reasonable gradient these days – my bike (165/180 Mega) makes less technical or steep stuff feel like hard work.

Wouldn’t mind a gravel bike for riding the stuff that’s on my doorstep that’s very tame, but would be a decent challenge with skinny tyres and drop bars.

JP

fossy

Mainly XC – natural stuff round Marple/Peaks, with a bit of N.Wales natural stuff and Llandegla occasionally. I’m ex. roadies (got my spine broken commuting to work) so I’m pretty handy going up-hill, but I take it steady going down, although I’ve got a bit quicker over the last couple of years – just don’t fancy getting broken again).

I have 3 road bikes not being used (1 is on the turbo actually) and I tend to ride thew 130mm FS most of the time, and when very sloppy, out comes the old rigid 26″.

Viewing 21 posts - 41 through 61 (of 61 total)

The topic ‘What sort of riding do you do?’ is closed to new replies.