• This topic has 40 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by nbt.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • What small – i.e. less than 5" – smart phone?
  • TheFlyingOx

I think I’ve just about talked the missus out of her love for all things Apple, mainly by showing her that you can make an Android phone look like it’s running iOS. There’s really not much need for us to continue with Apple as there’s nothing else in the house that runs on iOS. She doesn’t even use iTunes. The final sticking point is that all the android phones she’s seen are too big for her dainty hands.

So, requirements are:
    Known brand (don’t ask…)
    SIM-free/unlocked
    Screen less than 5″
    Android 6 preferable
    microSD an absolute must
    Under £200

What’s out there?

cp

My other half proclaimed a 5.5″ would be too big until she started using one day to day and now really appreciates the extra size.

What do women know about size anyway 😉

Or if you really want to stick to 5″, the Moto g4 play is 5 inch with sd card slot. £119 on Amazon. Pretty much stock android.

Sony z5 compact is 4.6″

wzzzz
    Free Member

I have had a Sony Xperia Z3 Compact for 18 months or so and won’t be “upgrading” any time soon.

Android 6.

Has a “Stamina” mode, which means nothing but standard phone (phone/sms) when the screen is locked. Email and app notifications are quickly received when the screen is unlocked.

This means the battery lasts for 3 days or so.

If it breaks I’d get another Sony Compact.

surroundedbyhills
    Free Member

Had 3 Sony compacts in a row, in need of another as I dropped it last week and beyond repair – looking a getting the latest gen compact X. Can’t fault it anymore than any other Android phone, good camera, good sound quality.

TheFlyingOx

Z3 compact looks perfect, except it’s nearly £300. Moto G4 is a good shout.

Cheers!

nuke

Oneplus X

£189. Spec here…
    https://oneplus.net/uk/x/specs

Ticks all your boxes from what i see aside Android 6

:edit: soz, realised they’re out of stock. Damn shame, was going to get my wife one

rs89
    Free Member

Nexus 5X? Can be had for around £250 on Amazon now. Although I will confess I did just swap mine for an iPhone SE because I found the Nexus both unreliable and too big…

federalski
    Free Member

The Z1 compact is still great phones and is well in budget, I have broken the screen on a couple but just got the same again. Camera is great, has gps, nice size and fast and easy enough to use.

A few years ago I was always getting the fancy new phones but a combination of getting sick at how big they were getting and the realisation that I did not really use any of the new features that were coming out made me “downgrade” to the Xperia Compact.

aracer
    Free Member

Another Sony here – Z1 compact bought for £100 on ebay, and it’s been great, though there isn’t an official Android 6 build for it (I’m just running 5.1 and no idea what I’m missing – there are apparently unofficial builds though). Depends if you need to buy new – a refurb Z3 compact should be within your budget, has Android 6 and probably significantly better than what you might get new for that money.

Cougar

Last time I looked at Sony handsets (several years ago now) they were really poor at releasing OS updates. Has that changed these days? (I know, there’s always AOSP.)

jimmy

Another Sony Z compact fan here. Have a Z3 purchased from this forum, they can be found comfortably under £200 on ebay and the likes.

EDIT: Android updates aren’t the quickest, it is on 6.0.1. If you’re bothered about the latest greatest Android version, get a Moto or Nexus.

nbt

No SD card in Nexus phones

Am looking myself. Had settled on the Moto G4 to replace my Moto G 4G, but my current phone has a 4.5″ screen and the G4 has a 5.5″ sceren – seems like too big a jump for me 🙁

aracer
    Free Member

I think Android 6 was released reasonably promptly – for those phones they released it for. Though there is the danger you might get stuck in the same was owners of Z1s are – they didn’t release Android 6 for that despite them being more than capable of running it, and I’m guessing at some point they’ll stop supporting the Z3 in the same way.

soulrider
    Free Member

another shout for Z3 compact, good camera on it as well. (if you ignore all the fancy apps)
    both the wife and I have them

mucker

@NBT I had similar situation but went for the G4 and I love it, now when I handle the previous one (now the wife’s) it seems ludicrously small.

nickjb
    Free Member

We’ve had bad experiences with Sony Xperia phones. The screens seem to break pretty easily. The stamina thing is great for battery life though. I struggled to find a good small phone (that wasn’t a sony). There are very few options. Ended up with a Samsung S5 mini which is actually pretty good for an older model. Doesn’t come with android 6 as standard but it’s easy to update.

Del

Anyone getting a z3 compact should get a case. Fragile ime.
    I keep looking around for another compact phone with a decent spec. The Sony just grates on a low level.

scotroutes

Samsung Galaxy A3. Android 6 is only a few weeks away.

GlennQuagmire
    Free Member

A Huawei P9 Lite might tick all your boxes.

bigjim

I got my Z1 compact for less than £150 last year I think. ebay Grey import mind, French phone from a “UK” seller (hong kong).

windyg
    Free Member

Another Sony user here, had a Z3 that went wrong Sony repaired under warranty came back as a nearly new phone gave it the wife and I have Z5.
    Can’t fault them and the 2 year warranty is a bonus.

johnnystorm

Don’t forget that iPhones have huge bezels so a 5″+ android might in fact have a lesser footprint than a “smaller” iPhone.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Xaomi Redmi Note 3 – got one on recommendation from a STW thread about 4 months ago, unbelievably good phone for the money – think I pad about £170 for it, but they are about £140 ish now – bargain!
    Battery lasts 3 days with moderate use.

And before you say it, Xaomi are a really big brand – 4th largest phone manufacturer.

cynic-al
    Free Member

They tend to be bigger screens but the non brands offer incredible value.

Typed from a 5.5″ cubit with 3meg ram and 4ah battery £90

Mackem

I wouldn’t be that bothered about having Android 6.0 over Android 5.0. Main difference is how the permissions are handled, personally find it more of a pain on android 6.0.

papercutout
    Free Member

Funnily enough, I’ve gone from Android to a Windows phone, and I suspect the only reason I might go back is because I can get an Android phone at a spec/price I want. Fortunately I can get a Windows phone type overlay. Really, honestly, they’re so easy and intuitive to use – annoyingly so!

TheFlyingOx

Didn’t Android 5 have done issues with storing apps/data on the SD card? That’s why I was after Android 6.

scotroutes

I store almost everything on the SD card (Android 5)

slackman99
    Free Member

I’m also using a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 (the ‘pro’ version with 3gb ram). Although doesn’t fit into the 5″ or under, might suit on the love of iOS thing as the stock software (Miui) is designed to replicate iOS (just icons on home screens, no app drawer etc). Benefit with Android is that you can just change the launcher and it can look totally different if you want it to.

slackman99
    Free Member

You could try a Xiaomi Mi4 (as they are a 5inch phone, but not Android 6), or for a little bit more than budget a Mi5

aracer
    Free Member

+1

phiiiiil

I’ve got a lesser known brand phone (a cubot x17) but, while it was much cheaper than the equivalent from a mainstream brand, I don’t know if I’d do it again; app compatibility is sometimes a bit hit or miss for reasons it doesn’t tell you. There are a few apps I had on my last phone – a basic Moto G – that won’t install on this one.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Various people here bought Moto G4 for £100 from John Lewis – looks a good buy I think

We bought an Archos Cobalt 8gb for the FIL £85 – 16gb would be better. Works ok, does the basics ie web and app access. Older version of Android

Motorolla clearly better known brand than Archos

OP or just buy her a used iPhone 5 or 5S with min 16gb

Neb

I smashed the screen on my Sony z1 compact so wen with a Xiaomi Redmi 3S, it cost £120 and works better than the Z1. The camera isn’t brilliant but it’ll do.

There is no Chinese apps on it, just miui 8 which works really well.

I was really struggling to find a smaller android phone similar to the z1 compact. The Redmi 3S fits the bill for me.

timb34
    Free Member

I went for a Z1 Compact based on size, camera, waterproofing and recommendations off here. I’ve been very happy with it, but am a bit peeved that Sony have said that they will not release an official Android 6 update (not enough memory or something…hmm..). It’s not like it’s even an old phone.

ross980
    Free Member

Z3 compact looks perfect, except it’s nearly £300.

Really?! Mine was £240 on payg on O2 (plus a few quid for an unlock code off eBay) in March last year. Surprised they’ve gone up since then.

Mackem

No experience of them but this looks good..
    http://www.wileyfox.com/spark.html

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Sony fan here,

Smashed my lovely dual sim Z3 5 months ago. A new Z5 cheered me right up.

Bought a cheapo z1 compact while I waited gor my Z5, to be honest, I felt like cancelling the Z5. Z1 did almost everything I need of a mobile ‘phone.

scotroutes

Marshmallow arrived on my Samsung A3 yesterday

eskay

I would like a small waterproof ruggedised Android phone, there are some on Amazon but they have crap reviews. Would be great to have something you can stick in a jersey on a ride without having to put it in a bag.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘What small – i.e. less than 5" – smart phone?’ is closed to new replies.