Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • What size screw for a pedal mount on a brick wall?
  • Frankenstein
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m going to be putting some bikes up and wondered what size fittings for a single brick wall you would recommend?

Thanks!

Sode view

Pedal mount

igm

Brick brick or some weak nasty breeze block?

if it’s brick, are they solid or hollow in the middle?

for me I’d be more worried about the screw head in the metal and the length of the screw.

So as big a screw as easily fits through the hole in the pedal mount and two inches into a decent rawl plug will be fine, but why not go for 2 1/2 or 3?

I tend to drill into the mortar as I find it more predictable than bricks but YMMV.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

It’s brick but solid as ages ago my old man put some achors but the holes for the cycle rack allowed him to use 10-12 mm bolts.

Might measure the width of brick and also open the holes of the bracket a bit more for a larger screw.

I found the mortar the weak part of a wall fur drilling and supporting shelves.

The way the bracket works is by a pulling force.

nickjb
    Free Member

Pretty much any size screws will do it as long it’s properly fitted and not the rubbish ones that come free with brackets. I’d probably use a 5×50, which is overkill but will.be solid. Go into the brick/block a reasonable distance from the edge. Don’t go into the mortar. No need for 10mm bolts for a bike. If you want to really overdo it use a 7mm concrete screw but they need the perfect size pilot hole into brick, bit more forgiving into block.

pocpoc
    Free Member

I tend to drill into the mortar

Don’t go into the mortar

A summary of asking for advice on an internet forum?

tthew

And please don’t use countersink fixtures on a flat plate bracket like those pictures.

Our local pub had an extensive and expensive refurbishment last year and they mounted all the wall lamps and decorative tat like that, (many plenty of spare holes in evidence) Gives me a tic every time I go in, I have considered asking the landlady if I can bring a big handful of round headed replacements and fix them myself!

joshvegas
    Free Member

I think i used 65mm heavy duty rawl jobs.

The heavy duty was to get a pan head rather than counter sink screw head not a heavy duty task.

They’re not under alotof stress i’d just chuck whatever i had in that looked about right.

I have 7 and two more to add.

They tend not to sit level btw unless its i road bike i find the heavy front end drags them round.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I’d also disagree about pulling…

Well there is some butalot of they hang off the hook. The majority of the weight is lower that the braket and alot al supported by the wheels against the wall.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Friction?

What I found is that people are having problems with this bracket with the bike angling down from the front.

To fix this you’ll need an L shaped bracket under the front wheel.  I’m thinking of getting a cheap 50 pence L bracket to sort this out. Maybe under both wheels.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘What size screw for a pedal mount on a brick wall?’ is closed to new replies.