Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • What size road bike do you ride.
  • renton
    Free Member

Looking at a purchase of either a Cube Attain or Specialized Diverge/Roubaix both secondhand and i am keen to here your thoughts on sizing.

I had a M/L Giant deft which fitted well but could have been a bit higher at the front.I cant find any info on the Giant seat tube length.

Im just over 6 foot and for reference I had a 58cm Sectuer that was slightly too long and a M/L Defy that was a little low.

Any ideas

Cheers

Steve

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

My Cube Attain is a 58cm, I’m 5’10” with short/bowed legs giving me a cycling inseam of ~32″.

Cube frame sizes and their geometry is odd, it has 388mm reach and 610mm stack. No tube is 58cm long! 😆
    https://www.cube.eu/en/2018/bikes/road/road-cyclocross/attain-gtc/cube-attain-gtc-race-disc-greyngreen-2018/ (mine is 2016 model, but that link came up first on google)

JackHammer

Im 5’11” and ride a 56cm Genesis Volant 10

damascus
    Free Member

could have been a bit higher at the front.

This is usually more to do with the geometry rather than frame size.

Are you referring to the height of the bars or on the drops?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

6’4″ on a 58cm.

renton
    Free Member

his is usually more to do with the geometry rather than frame size.

Are you referring to the height of the bars or on the drops?

Height of the bars, I felt very uncomfortable in the drops and hardly used them

trailwagger
    Free Member

Im 5.11 and ride a 54cm Allez.

I used to have a M/L defy and found it too big.

At 6.1 I would be going for a 56cm Roubaix/defy.

Edit: I tend to ride smaller frames than manufactures recommend. you may be borderline 56/58

lunge

6’4″, long legs, long arms.
    I ride a 60cm/XL frame with a 130mm slammed stem.
    But, I like my road bike position quite aggressive as I find it more comfortable than an upright position with more weight on my backside.

globalti
    Free Member

6′ and always ridden 56 Spesh bikes.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

6ft, 56cm CAAD4 (which IIRC are at the racy end of geometry so tend to have longer reaches).

I’m quite flexible though so possibly borderline 58cm, which would allow me to raise the saddle and move it forwards slightly for a much more aggressive position. I keep intending to find a cheap frame to experiment with that hypothesis (or just a 130mm stem).

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Medium. It’s a PlanetX so to keep the price down they don’t use numbers.

Bregante

6′ 1″ on a 57 Ritchey Road logic…

Harry_the_Spider

5’11” – 54cm Scott Speedster

renton
    Free Member

I find I’m between most manufacturers 56 and 58 which doesn’t help.

Then some people say you need to size up/down depending on make and model.

FB-ATB

I’m 5’8″ on a 54cm Trek Domane.

kerley
    Free Member

178cm / 5′ 10″ and always ride 54. I have long legs and short torso so need the shortness of the smaller frames top tube and don’t mind the saddle to bar drop

w00dster

5 foot 8, have a few bikes, 51 CAAD (old), 52 Trek Domane and a small Canyon Aeroad.
    Much prefer smaller bikes for my size. Previously rode a 54 Madone and just didn’t like the position I could get on it. Also had a Medium Giant TCR and size felt far too large. My preference is as small as possible and slammed.

benman
    Free Member

I’m 5′ 11″ and on a 54cm Cannondale Synapse, and a 56cm Cannondale Supersix.

swdan
    Free Member

6’1″ and ride a 58cm Specialized Tarmac. My height is mainly in my torso and the reach feels about right if I have the stem on top of the supplied spacers.

footflaps

5’10” and ride a 56cm Spesh Diverge.

tinribz
    Free Member

6′ in flat shoes, ride a 56 attain (gtc pro). Usually find most bikes are a little low and 58s a bit long. This one is neither.

TiRed

Im just over 6 foot and for reference I had a 58cm Sectuer that was slightly too long and a M/L Defy that was a little low.

sounds like you want a higher not longer front end. 56 Roubaix perhaps?

5’10” and a 56. Medium in Giant and have four.

anagallis_arvensis

5’10” and ride a 56cm Spesh Diverge

Same

Have an old ML Defy too

fazzini

5’10” and ride a 56cm Spesh Diverge too. Small world. 🤣

singletrackmind

5ft 11in 31″ inside leg
    52cm Roubaix , M (52) Propel
    iirc my BB to saddle is 74cm’s if thats important?

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

5.10 and have a 56 allez elite and a medium boardman carbon. Both fit great.

t3ap0t
    Free Member

6’6″, ride a 65cm canyon. Max amount of spacers and 100mm stem.

monty777
    Free Member

I’m 5’9” with a 32” inside leg and ride a 54cm Specialized Roubaix.

fathomer

A tad under 6′ on a M/L Defy but I run a 120mm stem and it’s almost as low as it’ll go. Really fancy something new but no idea what!

corroded
    Free Member

You’re much better off comparing stack and reach. At 6’1 I’ve been comfortable on 58, 59 and 60cm frames.

convert

You’re much better off comparing stack and reach.

Indeed.

I have slightly long legs for my height. I also ride 170mm cranks because of a dodgy hip so my saddle is even higher. I’m also middle aged and know that a big saddle to bar drop is not something I have the flexibility for anymore. By big I mean greater than 10cm – 85mm is my sweet spot. A change from 55.5 to 57 cm frame (though nothing on either frame measures 55.5cm or 57cm) on a frame I was looking at meant the reach grew by 4mm though the stack grew by 18mm. If you drill down into the frame measurements this sort of thing is far from unusual.The perfect frame for me would probably have had the reach of the 55.5 and the stack of the 57. I went for the 57 as the 4mm extra reach was easier to tweak with finishing kit than the 18mm of stack.

You need to know your numbers to make an informed choice. Headline bike size labels are entirely irrelevant.

dc1988

I’m 6’5″ on a 62cm Canyon

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘What size road bike do you ride.’ is closed to new replies.