Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Which shoes? (No mesh toes, please)
  • mtbtom
    Free Member

Trying to find a pair of riding shoes that:
    a) Don’t have water gulping mesh toes
    b) Aren’t full winter GoreTex boots
    c) Aren’t downhill oriented

Generally ride woody trails on a hardtail and my gravel-bike on bridleways, nothing particularly rocky or hardcore.

Have quite liked Shimano shoes in the past and was looking at these again, but from what I can see they seem to fall into categories a, b or c above.

Thanks all!

nickc

Giro Terraduro

legend
    Free Member

Shimano XC51N, just an XC shoe winterised (and looking a little ‘special’ as a result)

EDIT:

nickc – Member
    Giro Terraduro

Aren’t they covered in holes?

nickc

Aren’t they covered in holes?

yeah, there’s a few, but no mesh

ajantom

Shimano a) and some Sealskinz socks. It’s what I ended up doing.

kimbers

Mtb Shoes with mesh toes are a **** stupid idea.

If anyone finds a decent (as in don’t look like those up there^^^) pair please let me know

jam-bo

Specialized 2fo cliplite.

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Sidi’s with a pair of Sealskinz socks.

ferrals
    Free Member

I got the ‘new’ shimano xc7 shoes, while they have a mesh toe it is very small. More importantly the rest of the shoe has a kind of plasticky coating which means water and mud run off quickly instead of being absorbed. I’ve put a bit of gaffa tape over the mesh for winter and my feet are dry even through soaking wet rides and cx races

fossy

The Shimano XC51N is sold as all season.

I have Shimano M089 and MW7’s – I’ve found I’m using the Winter boots most of the time on local XC stuff as it’s gloopy, even in the summer. The M089 has a mesh toe.

The MW7’s aren’t too hot, but they are a boot.

mtbtom
    Free Member

Oh, the XC51N looks like it will fit the bill, I’d not spotted it before. Had mostly been looking at the MW or ME model ranges.

I’m not sure it’s a good looking shoe, but I don’t think those Specialized ones are much better looking (nor my 5:10 Maltese). And at least they’re not white!

Sealskins are great, but I only like wearing them when I’m properly wintered up and going out in steady rain. A closed toe should keep most of the puddles out on a ride the day after rain.

Thanks all

legend
    Free Member

The “N” is for Nordic apparently. I bought a pair for CX duties and they’ve been spot on so far

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Which shoes? (No mesh toes, please)’ is closed to new replies.