Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • What second hand garmin?
  • lovewookie

I’ve a Makibes BR1 watch as a bit of a try out. while it’s good for the money, it’s not particularly accurate. HR reads on the low side, GPS is OK, but can stall occasionaly resulting in some impressive top speeds. battery life is not bad, but the charger is a lttle flakey too.

so I was thinking, maybe I should replace it with something a bit more reputable, like a garmin. but budget only allows me into the second hand market.

Ideally I’d like something that will track, upload to strava, allow route following and measure HR.

However, I’m also thinking that a bar mmounted garmin may be worthwhile.

I have a forearm ANT/Bluetooth HRM, so that can pair to it, but again, no idea what models to be on the lookout for.

Any handy hints would be appreciated for both wrist and bar mounted options.

cheers

Superficial
    Free Member

Ideally I’d like something that will track, upload to strava, allow route following and measure HR.

My Edge 510 will do all that. I think so will the (even older) Edge 500. No maps on the device, though it will happily set a trail that you can follow (including instructions if you create them). It uploads to Strava via my phone (Bluetooth).

Some of the newer models have mapping but no HRM / Power.

daern
    Free Member

Do you just want to follow a breadcrumb trail (i.e. no maps) or do you want something a bit more comprehensive?

If you just want basic breadcrumb trail, I’m not sure you’d do much better than a (new) Edge 130:
    https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/04/garmin-edge-130-in-depth-review.html
    …which Halfords are flogging for £99:
    https://www.halfords.com/cycling/cycling-technology/cycle-computer-gps/garmin-edge-130-gps-cycling-computer-646613.html

Does HRM, Strava, bluetooth and it’s only real limitation is around mapping which is limited to breadcrumb only (no turn-by-turn etc.) Even does power meters if you wanted, has 15 hour battery life and, as it’s relatively new, might get a few extra bits via firmware (although the Edge 130 Plus has just been released, so who knows…)

epicsteve
    Free Member

I have free maps loaded to my Edge 810 and it works fine for navigation. I don’t use it for that often but have downloaded the routes for club rides and it’s been good when the ride leader has had to go (or hasn’t turned up) and I’ve then been able to lead the group on the planned route.

trumpton
    Free Member

There was a psa for cheap Garmin a few weeks ago.when the offer ended someone mentioned garmin selling reconditioned ones.might fit your budget.

dknwhy

I’ve got a couple of Garmins that I’ve been meaning to put on the classifieds – a 130 (no issues) and 1000 (split power button but works fine).

Let me know if you’re interested.

I’ll try to get ads on this week…..

ratherbeintobago

Even does power meters if you wanted, has 15 hour battery life and, as it’s relatively new, might get a few extra bits via firmware (although the Edge 130 Plus has just been released, so who knows…)

The battery is definitely not 15h. I’d say 9 with sensors is pushing it. However, as above there are some good deals about now the 130+ has been launched. Meets your needs unless you’d prefer the Forerunner equivalent (which has built-in optical HR)?

londoncommuter
    Free Member

What was your budget as I’ve got a year old 520 I could be persuaded to part with?

mogrim

The battery is definitely not 15h. I’d say 9 with sensors is pushing it.

And 9 is optimistic… I’ve got mine connected to power meter pedals, a varia radar and the HR chest band and I reckon I’d be lucky to get 5 hours out of it. (Mine is perhaps an extreme case 🙂 )

If you’re only hooking up a HR monitor it’s fine though.

lovewookie

Cheers all, so the 130 will be fine, and it gives directions, and for a map version I should go for a 520?

Budget wise I’m looking at £50-£80 ish.

Ta

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’d not touch a second hand garmin. They are a bloody liability. I’d buy one new safe in the knowledge I can get it replaced when it inevitably stops working, but I’d be very wary if that wasnt an option.

That edge 130 for 100 quid looks a decent deal.

eskay

@tpbiker – I have bought three 800’s second hand (for me and my two boys) and have had years of good use and they are still going strong. They are great for mapping as well

tpbiker
    Free Member

I have bought three 800’s

I must have been unlucky then as I’m on my 3rd (1× 800, 2x 810) and the previous 2 have both broken shortly after the 2 year warranty expired.

My mate has also had to return his 520 for repair.

I would still buy another as When they work they are great, and it’s only 90 quid to get it replaced out of warrenty if you are original buyer

cookeaa

I’d not touch a second hand garmin. They are a bloody liability. I’d buy one new safe in the knowledge I can get it replaced when it inevitably stops working, but I’d be very wary if that wasnt an option.

Yes but they’re much cheaper… And they can surprise you by simply not failing. If you’re paying circa 40% or less than the new equivalent’s price and getting a couple of useful years from the device, where’s the harm.

I’m Another one using a 2nd hand Edge 510. it’s now quite an old device and yet has all the core functionality/connectivity that I am likely to need. the Touch operation isn’t fantastic but it’s adequate, TBH the ‘old’ edge 500 is still a perfectly good device, I have a mate who’s perfectly happy with his.

I also have an Edge 25 as a backup/shorter ride device, the battery life is bobbins but for ~4.5hrs it’s better than nowt, the screen is dinky, but the small form factor is actually very handy on a MTB/CX bike bumping about off road.

Edge 130 sadly underwhelms me, given where some of their other newer devices are, it really should have come out pushing with battery life (does the new 130+ address that?) and only really needed to provide about the same functionality as my crappy old Edge 25 but with a couple more data fields… the fact that my crappy ~8 year old 510 has comparable battery life still is disappointing.

daern
    Free Member

And 9 is optimistic… I’ve got mine connected to power meter pedals, a varia radar and the HR chest band and I reckon I’d be lucky to get 5 hours out of it.

Really surprised by this. My 12 month old 830 quotes 20 hours, and this week I used it for a ride that was 8.5 hours in the saddle and 11-ish hours elapsed (didn’t bother to turn it off when stopped) and it still had 40%+ battery left at the end, so 20 hours wouldn’t be that far from the mark.

This was with Garmin ANT+ HR and speed sensors connect (my son has nicked my cadence sensor so this was on his bike instead!) as well as bluetooth with LiveTrack running all day. Screen was on map for about 50% of the time, and normal stats for the rest.

iainc

Have dropped you a FB message OP.

lovewookie

now sorted, thanks all, and thanks iain.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘What second hand garmin?’ is closed to new replies.