Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • What sand for garden furniture base?
  • D0NK

Not actually garden furniture, but figure it’s the same kinda thing. Kids just got a very sturdy free standing punch bag, needs a LOT of sand or water in the base, it’s gonna be indoors so I dont fancy a potemntial water leak so going to go with sand. Is there a particular type of sand thats going to be easier to fill (and eventually empty at somepoint, only a narrow opening for fill/empty) or do I just go to B&Q and say “a bag of sand please”?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well everything (except cement) will come out with water so go cheap

D0NK

everything (except cement) will come out with water

yeah…..gonna be indoors and rather difficult to get outside so ideally want to be able to empty without water. Was wondering if there was some “easy pour” kind of sand. I know there’s different types, but thats all I know.

jsync

I would assume kiln dried would be better as no moisture to allow it to clump.

D0NK
    LeeW

Playlist sand?

yiman
    Free Member

What you want is heavy sand. It has less space between the grains.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Any dry sand, get some off the dunes at a beach!

LeeW

What I meant to say was playpit sand. Not playlist, blumming smell checker.

woffle
    Free Member

Kiln-dried block paving / jointing sand is really fine. Might mean that it escapes everywhere though.

Greybeard
    Free Member

I’d suggest kiln dried ‘soft’ sand, as sold for making mortar for bricks, not sharp sand as sold for concrete. Soft sand has rounded grains and flows easily. Sharp sand has angular grains and jams together more, and it’s usually sold damp (the quantities needed for concrete are expensive to keep dry) so flows even less.

garage-dweller

Play pit sand is usually bone dry and very fine. Might be better indoors if it leaks out but it is a bit spendier.

bodgy
    Free Member

Kiln dried.

maccruiskeen

Argos do cheap dry playsand

If leaks are a concern – washed gravel might work better

D0NK

Soft sand has rounded grains and flows easily. Sharp sand has angular grains and jams

that’s the sort of info I knew someone on here would offer, cheers!

If leaks are a concern – washed gravel might work better

Good idea.

Builder depot do some reasonably cheap sand, 4.85 a bag, a mere £48 delivery, bargain!

Gary_M
    Free Member

Is there a particular type of sand thats going to be easier to fill

B&Q sell bags of heavy sand, get some of that but ask for the dry stuff. So dry heavy sand.

ads678

we used 2 bags of play sand from argos for my sons free standing punch bag.

an adults one might need more though as when i unleash my guns on it I can still knock it over.*

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/3650574

*yes I know, I should really have fought for money……

maccruiskeen

Builder depot do some reasonably cheap sand, 4.85 a bag, a mere £48 delivery, bargain!

I think mail order is definitely not the way to go!

Bags of gravel would be around £5 – £8 from B&Q or a garden centre. The Argos stuff is handy in the sense that its dry and the packs are smaller so a bit easier to deal with.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘What sand for garden furniture base?’ is closed to new replies.