Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • What saddle do I want?
  • avdave2

I know this is highly subjective but to give somewhere for you to start I’m looking for something with a bit of curve. I’ve found after 4 hours or so on or off road any flat saddle starts to sting. I’ve an old Ritchey Vector from 1998 on the turbo bike which has a distinct curve and I can be in the saddle for 4 hours on that without a problem. On the road bike after trying a couple of saddles I had lying around I’ve gone back to the original Giant saddle it came with which has a bit of curve and that is fine for 100 miles. I’m reasonably flexible but short on small frames which means no saddle to bar drop to give an idea on positioning on the bike.
    Thanks

jimdubleyou

Have a look at the FWE Trail from Evans – has got a bit of lift at the back (is that what you’re after?)

phil5556

Why not get another Ritchey if you find it comfortable?

joemmo
    Free Member

Fabric Scoop Radius has a curve / kick to it and a channel in the base so the padding is deeper around the nose. I have the semi-flat ‘shallow’ on drop bar bike and radius on mtb.

lunge

Selle Italia Flite 1990, in the opinion of my backside, there is simply nothing better.

avdave2

Why not get another Ritchey if you find it comfortable?

I do have another Ritchey but that gets uncomfortable after 4 hours, I am tempted to try the Ritchey Classic though as it appears to be based on the Vector

I will also look at the Fabric Radius range.

One thing I’ve found while looking at options is that for the most part when you look online very few saddles are ever photographed showing the profile from the back which seems a strange thing to miss when it does seem important to many people when finding the right saddle

hols2
    Free Member

I’ve always rated the SDG Bel Air as most comfortable for my arse. Your arse might be a different size and shape though.

kid.a
    Free Member

Fabric Scoop

trailwagger
    Free Member

I was sold a BBB echelon at my bike fit a few weeks back. It hold me like a hammock!

kiwijohn

lunge
    Selle Italia Flite 1990, in the opinion of my backside, there is simply nothing better.

I concur.
    But I would add a Brookes Cambium C15 for the gravel bike.

avdave2

Jim it’s an FWE Trail on there now I believe, It’s a pinnacle Ramin and the original saddle. Fine for a couple of hours but after 40 miles yesterday on a rigid bike it was starting to sting.

Think I’ll go with a Fabric Scoop Radius as there is the option of starting with a relatively cheap option to see if I do get on with the shape and upgrading later if I want to

Thanks all

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

I’ve got Fabric Scoop saddles on 3 of my bikes .
    Have worked well for me.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

+1 SDG Bel Air. Curvey without being overpadded. Groove-channel cossets the gooch and nose is just right. I’ve tried many saddles over the decades and always return to it.

The Bel Air basically ‘gets out of the way’ and is the least problematic perch I’ve found for medium-length offroad riding of varied terrain.

Subjective disclaimers apply etc.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘What saddle do I want?’ is closed to new replies.